T Nation

Sore Ribs

After deadlifting, my ribs were sore.

I beliehve that I practiced good form, however I lifted a fair amount of weight, i.e. more than usual(5x5).

  1. Did I most likely hurt my ribs from deadlifts?

  2. What can I do to heal?

Is it “SORE”, or does it “HURT”???
How long have u been DLing?

[quote]NeoSpartan wrote:
Is it “SORE”, or does it “HURT”???
How long have u been DLing?
[/quote]

I’ve been DLing for 1 month.

I suppose that my ribs are sore. It’s a sharp soreness/pain that I experience when waking up after sleeping on them. Plus, they’re sore most of the day.

I started at 150 lbs, then I progressed to 255 lbs.

Note: I’m 6’3" 200 lbs(lean).

Bump.

Please help me out.

Ok, 1st check the way you sleep at night. 2nd, if after 3 days the soreness/pain doesn’t get any better get it checked out by a doctor.

Quick question:
Does it hurt when you laugh?

Try a sprint workout. The first sprint workout of the season absolutely destroys that entire region for me.

I think you just proved how much muscle mass is actually involved in a big compound lift such as deadlifts.

[quote]NeoSpartan wrote:
Ok, 1st check the way you sleep at night. 2nd, if after 3 days the soreness/pain doesn’t get any better get it checked out by a doctor.

Quick question:
Does it hurt when you laugh?[/quote]

No.

What way should I sleep?

I try to sleep on my back, but it never works. I always roll over to my side.

Does it only hurt after DLing and after you wake up, or all the time (even when you breathe)?

Either way, you should see a doctor to make sure it’s not a cracked rib or anything serious.

I hope you get better soon.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Does it only hurt after DLing and after you wake up, or all the time (even when you breathe)?

Either way, you should see a doctor to make sure it’s not a cracked rib or anything serious.

I hope you get better soon.[/quote]

It only hurt the day after I increased my DL from 250 lbs. to 265 lbs.

It hurts after I wake up, then there’s an occasional soreness I feel during the day.

I lifted 4x10 yesterday with, incline DB press, cable-seated row, DB shoulder press, wide-grip lat pulldown, dips and high pull. I felt hardly any pain throughout the workout, only feeling it when I did shoulder presses.

Today it feels like it did before, that is there is no more or less pain.

Get it checked out.

I fracture 2 ribs in wrestling practice 4 years ago. At 1st I though it was simple a sore muscle, it didn’t hurt much or anything. So I continued to wrestle in the following days, until 3 days later, after a hard day of practice, it even hurt to breathe.