Sore Knees During Step-Ups

long story short i started lifting in the middle of 2005 i bulked from 135 to 160 in about 8 months but got burnt out from lifting alone. i took about 7-8 months off and just started lifting again about four weeks ago.

ive started back up on the skinny bastard routine and have just changed exercises from barbell lunges to barbell step ups. while doing lunges i had small bits of pain in my knee just under my knee caps. since doing step ups (today 1st time) i could hardly lift my self up (no weight) with out exruciating (spl?) pain in the same place.

obviously it will benefit me to get wraps and probably take a supplement but are there any other suggestions any one would have…

• note its is both knees and i never have pain in my knees while squating.(280lbs-- im very happy with this PR considering i could barly squat 135lbs when i started w.s.s.b 4 weeeks ago)

Watch yourself in a mirror, your knees could be over-extending your toes (which in lunges and step ups they should never do). This could lead to some uncomfortability and possible tendonitis.

Step ups and lunges should have your weight on your heel and you lever yourself up with your glute mostly. If you are leaning forward and stabilizing with your glute, but raising youself with the quad, that’s a lot of tension on the knee. Don’t do that. It’s bad.

I get a similar pain doing step ups or step overs. turns out its arthritis…

In your case… might be too much weight, might be torn cartlige or arthritis or like the other guys say… bad form.

I follow the advice that a lot of posters here give… if it hurts then don’t do what ever causes pain. Get checked out medically to see if there is a problem…

i thank everyone for your responses. i begun to take some osteo bi flex and also purchased a neoprene sleeve support. i am gonna just take a few days of lower body off and see how it feels in a few weeks im not sure what is wrong but if it continues i eill for sure see the doc. but for now im gonna use r.i.c.e. im pretty sure it is a meniscus problem but well see…

after more thought ive begun to wonder if taking a few complete lower body days off is right or not. would it be wise to just continue threw the motions lightening the load and focus on my form or should i just avoid lifting lower body all together.

again thank you for the help

[quote]jjt72976 wrote:
after more thought ive begun to wonder if taking a few complete lower body days off is right or not. would it be wise to just continue threw the motions lightening the load and focus on my form or should i just avoid lifting lower body all together.

again thank you for the help[/quote]

The smart thing to do. Going up 150 lbs for a P.R. in 4 weeks, will do that. Are you running or doing other leg work?

where you useing a smith machine for squats? This casued a lot of pain in my knees that also went over into pain in lunges etc. Stoped using a smith machine for any thing other than stretching over a year ago, and knee pain is gone!

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
jjt72976 wrote:

The smart thing to do. Going up 150 lbs for a P.R. in 4 weeks, will do that. Are you running or doing other leg work?[/quote]

im pretty sure my p.r. went up very fast cause i was intimidated by the weight so i just never really tried. yes i do a little jogging as for other leg work it mostly consist of squats(all forms), lunges, pull throughs, deads, step ups…depends on the routine. are there better recomendations that fit the w.s.4.s.b. plan

[quote]SamuraiWannaBe wrote:
where you useing a smith machine for squats? This casued a lot of pain in my knees that also went over into pain in lunges etc. Stoped using a smith machine for any thing other than stretching over a year ago, and knee pain is gone![/quote]

no more smith for me had to get rid of it due to lack of space i use a cage (pictured in my profile) for squats and just lunge up my driveway with O-bar on my back. thanks for the info though…

[quote]jjt72976 wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
jjt72976 wrote:

The smart thing to do. Going up 150 lbs for a P.R. in 4 weeks, will do that. Are you running or doing other leg work?

im pretty sure my p.r. went up very fast cause i was intimidated by the weight so i just never really tried. yes i do a little jogging as for other leg work it mostly consist of squats(all forms), lunges, pull throughs, deads, step ups…depends on the routine. are there better recomendations that fit the w.s.4.s.b. plan
[/quote]

No, it’s just that people don’t realize how strong the leg muscles are. They can handle ALOT of weight and get stronger fast, however just because you can do it doesn’t mean you should your joints aren’t always as strong as your muscles.

Your either going to have to deal with the pain until your joints get stronger or do as you say and lighten the load. Don’t go for too many 1 rep max P.R.'s for a while.

No, it’s just that people don’t realize how strong the leg muscles are. They can handle ALOT of weight and get stronger fast, however just because you can do it doesn’t mean you should your joints aren’t always as strong as your muscles.

Your either going to have to deal with the pain until your joints get stronger or do as you say and lighten the load. Don’t go for too many 1 rep max P.R.'s for a while.
[/quote]

this makes alot of sense and thats what im gonna do. although its not 1 rep max its 3-5rep max as the ws4sb calls for

again thanks for all the info from everyone. T-Nation truly is the best place on the web…