T Nation

Sore Groin/Abductor

The past 2 weeks I’ve been having soreness in my upper thigh/groin/abductor area. It is usually the day after squats when it starts to be sore. I box squat if that makes a difference.

However it usually diminishes before my next squat workout.
I do a dynamic warmup and all that prior to lifting, would wearing briefs help prevent me from being sore or should I try to rehab it and then think about using briefs?

I plan on competing in October so getting used to gear isn’t out of the question for me either.

[quote]xb100 wrote:
The past 2 weeks I’ve been having soreness in my upper thigh/groin/abductor area. It is usually the day after squats when it starts to be sore. I box squat if that makes a difference.

However it usually diminishes before my next squat workout.
I do a dynamic warmup and all that prior to lifting, would wearing briefs help prevent me from being sore or should I try to rehab it and then think about using briefs?

I plan on competing in October so getting used to gear isn’t out of the question for me either.

[/quote]

when I switched over from box squats to normal squats I had the same problem. Give it time.

just my 2 cents, I box-squatted for quite a while, a few months pretty regularly actually, and then I maxed with my football team with regular squats, and after 2 warm-up sets, I felt like I was going to die. Every muscle from my waist down felt like they were just torn, and instead of a 375+ squat, I squeaked out a meager 315. it sucked, and made it look like I hadn’t squatted on my own in 6 months, and only benched. that’s just me, though.

Take some time off from the box, you don’t have a box when you compete and for some it will fuck up your groin. Definitely stretch after, and do some mobility work on your off days.

Thanks for the advice.
I did a search after I posted the question and found some useful info.

I’ll be getting a foam roller soon and be incorperating that to reduce some of the soreness.

I had similar pain when squatting so I went and saw a chiropractor. Turns out my hips were out of alignment causing my right leg to be longer than my left, thus causing the pain during squats.

Since he popped my leg back in place not only can I walk easier now, but it no longer hurts when I squat.

You may want to check one out if there is a good one in your area. Some are complete nut jobs (one said he could cure the common cold wft?) but others are great. Ask for one who sees a lot of powerlifters, that’s what I did and found a great one. Only $45 bucks for the visit too.

Just some food for thought!

Hmmm i heard a pop in my right side of the groin area one day when squatting. Now i have not been able to get the depth i used to; cause it hurts. =/

Ummm Single legged squats are no problem though