T Nation

Sore Glutes

Is it abnormal to have sore glutes after leg training? I mean not just rarely, but all the time and never hams/quads. I try to concentrate on quads as much as possible, but only place I am ever sore is glutes.

Basically it is the unilateral exercises that make me sore (1 leg press, bulgarian split squats, reverse lunges). I have short strikes and push from the toes to emphasize quads… yet the glutes get sore. My ass seems growing well and it is too damn big.

There are a number of different things that could be going on.

#1- Your body just naturally recruits alot more glute.

#2- You have built up your strength on these exercises with less than perfect form and the glutes took over from the get go, and now they are firmly in control.

I would bet on #2. I had the same problem awhile ago, I did all my unilateral movements by placing alot more stress on the glutes than I should have. I built up to very impressive numbers on reverse and regular lunges etc… What you are going to have to do is this.

Pick and exercise that should be extremely quad dominant and take your time building your strength on it. For example a Hack squat would be the perfect movement. Concentrate on keeping your heels pressed down hard and getting to just below 90 degrees and squeezing your quads straight up through your heels. If you dont do the hack squats properly you will end up in the same boat. Your goals is to use a weight light enough that your quads are challenged but not overwhelmed.

Probably your right, I guestimated the same thing… just wondered if anyone has sore ass too, but seems I am the only one. I have to drop all unilateral movements and do only hack squats - or what about front squats?

Btw. by hack squat you mean the real one with the barbell ?

No, use the machine, there are less variables to worry about. Put your feet as low on the platform as you can and maintain weight through your heels the entire movement, and that includes as you start to come up out of the 90 degree position which is where they will rise if they rise at all.

And dont ditch the unilateral stuff just start doing it with much lighter weight. You should feel your quads fatigue, make sure your torso is upright and your knee is coming forward at least even with your toe.

[quote]Mr.Y wrote:

My ass seems growing well and it is too damn big.

[/quote]

Ohh you poor kid.

Gimme a break.

I wish I had your problem. I have overactive quads and my hamstrings have adhesions from being overrecruited during deadlifting. Deep tissue is fun on those hammys. Wanna trade?

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Mr.Y wrote:

My ass seems growing well and it is too damn big.

Ohh you poor kid.

Gimme a break. [/quote]

Actually, some people can have funny-looking proportions and not due to fat. Think about guys that are “all arms” and have NO chest or back. It’s the same thing. It can be disconcerting to have a problem like that: if you have a “muscle ass” and small quads, like the original poster, for example.

I’ve got a squatter’s ass and my butt’s sore all the time after squat training.

I use a wide stance and do a lot of pos chain work though, so it’s not really a shock.

Glute recruitment is a good thing, but too much of it isn’t, strengthen the other parts of your leg and see if you still get it.

This soreness has been for about a year. Always sore glutes and calves, never legs. Now they are quite big compared to my thighs, though I don’t mind huge calves, they are nice :slight_smile:

I have always done wide stance back squats (powerlifting style) and with unilateral exercises have hitted more hams and glutes. I also did a lot of stiff-legged deadlifts, conventional deadlifts (and deadlift is my strongestlift). Seems I have neglected quad work by doing some exercises wrong.

I recently started doing front squats and I love them now. I will try to isolate quads as much as possible on unilateral exercises and I’ll try hacks. Thank you for your help.

[quote]Mr.Y wrote:
This soreness has been for about a year. Always sore glutes and calves, never legs. Now they are quite big compared to my thighs, though I don’t mind huge calves, they are nice :slight_smile:

I have always done wide stance back squats (powerlifting style) and with unilateral exercises have hitted more hams and glutes. I also did a lot of stiff-legged deadlifts, conventional deadlifts (and deadlift is my strongestlift). Seems I have neglected quad work by doing some exercises wrong.

I recently started doing front squats and I love them now. I will try to isolate quads as much as possible on unilateral exercises and I’ll try hacks. Thank you for your help.[/quote]

One suggestion is to SLOW your tempo for quad training. Like 5 seconds eccentric, pause for 2 count and 3 seconds concentric (or more). This will force you to reduce the weight but concentrate on quad activation. Count out loud if you need to because most people still move too fast even when they are told to slow down.