T Nation

Sore Fingers w/ BB Bent Over Row

[quote]MurrDawg wrote:

and don’t use straps (personal opinion). If you cant hold onto the weight, you shouldn’t be using that weight. [/quote]

I tend to disagree. (Thank you T-Nation)

Take shrugs for example. Why on Earth would I want to be thinking about holding the bar when I’m trying to work my traps? I’m also not rowing for big forearms here, I’m rowing for a big back.

If you don’t need them because your arms and grip are strong fine, but to hold back say shrugs and rows because you can row or shrug more than you can hold is foolish in my mind, this being bodybuilding and all.

To each his own… like I said (personal preference)…

Okay thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully it’ll be nearly gone by tmrw, in the mean time i’m just going to watch my grip on the DB rows tomorrow. I’ve done heavy DB rows for over 8-9 months now, but it was only when i started BB rows that the soreness kicked in. I’ll see what it’s like after back/bi day tmrw (but without the BB rows).

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
Take shrugs for example. Why on Earth would I want to be thinking about holding the bar when I’m trying to work my traps? I’m also not rowing for big forearms here, I’m rowing for a big back.
[/quote]

This is a very good point, I never looked at it that way…

[quote]hawaiilifterMike wrote:
If you have problems after a few more weeks, you could always purchase lifting hooks and see if that will help. As for myself, I normally wear gloves and use lifting straps for bb rows (note: I do not go that heavy - the most I did was 365lb x 5-6) and I had not problems with fingers.
[/quote]

Last time I checked, bent over rows with 365lbs is pretty heavy.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
countingbeans wrote:

This is a very good point, I never looked at it that way…[/quote]

Thank Bonez… I had a thread on here awhile ago because I was shrugging with a mixed grip and was wondering if that was a recipe for disaster. (I couldn’t hold what I could shrug double overhand.)

I believe he said something like I did above, and the common sense button just clicked. Before that I was an idiot and thought straps made you a pussy. When in reality they let you accomplish goals.

(Now if you need a big grip for a comp or whatever, this obviously doesn’t apply.)

EDITED for clarity that I’m not calling anyone a pussy.

[quote]MurrDawg wrote:
My suggestion would be to start working your way up in weight with farmers walks at the end of your workouts. Make sure its a weight you can really squeeze (so that its not just your fingers taking a beating) and walk around until your GRIP gives. Dont let it roll to your fingers…but hold on for dear life by squeezing the dumbbell. Then gradually progress up in weight.(If you need further explanation, let me know.)[/quote]

As a noob with a weak grip, these are good tips, thx.

Straps are good, but the OP appears to be a beginner, and I doubt he can to DB rows with good form with a weight so heavy his grip gives out.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
Straps are good, but the OP appears to be a beginner, and I doubt he can to DB rows with good form with a weight so heavy his grip gives out.[/quote]

You are right i’ve never really done a weight so heavy that my grip is going to give out. I shoot for 6-8 reps and only go up when I feel ready. I’m not sure what this is. It’s still there in that one finger today, but hopefully not for much longer, i’ll have to make sure the cable or DB does not go directly over my fingers, but more in my palms.

I noticed this before and I think it was from deadlifts on my ring finger. If I squeezed the second segment of my finger it would be a little tender on my OH hand. I figured it was a strained finger pulley or flexor unit or something of the sort, and it feels better after a little time off.

The time off was due to going on vacation, and the soreness was only a mild discomfort and it didn’t prevent me from lifting. I’m glad its gone though.

I’ve experienced worse finger injuries when I was climbing a lot.

If it is defeatist to train with high enough intensity each session so that I ache each night in bed after I train, then you’re a success.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
Maybe all your internet trolling has given you carpal tunnel (sp?)?[/quote]

^LMAO

Just an update. The soreness in this one finger still remains (feels like bruising almost). I can’t tell if it’s getting better or not. I had a session yesterday (back and bis) and i don’t feel it’s any worse, just a bit stiff in the mornings adn then it improves a bit during the day. It is obviously either ligament/tendon related as the fingers have no muscles. I don’t really want to have to take a damn break from lifting but would you say i should just for another 5-6 days? Also would ice do any good at this stage?

YeA ice might be worth a shot.

I don’t have a an easy solution for the OP, but I’m not a beginner and get the same thing occasionally when I uses 120s or higher for DB rows. Like he said, it feels like internal bruising, particularly around the fingertips for me.

My guess is that is has to do with your “pinching” grip strength trying to overcompensate for a lack of general grip strength. I notice that as my reps go up with a given weight, the problem gets better. For instance, when I first started using 120s they would kill me. By the time I got up to reps with 150s, the 120s didn’t give me problems as often.

I admit that I never had the pain continue after I left the gym though. Personally I wouldn’t take a break from lifting unless you were pretty sure you had real damage rather than soreness. At most I would use straps for rows until your fingers better, if absolutely necessary.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
Time for someone to man up I think…[/quote]

x2

[quote]bugeishaAD wrote:
hawaiilifterMike wrote:
If you have problems after a few more weeks, you could always purchase lifting hooks and see if that will help. As for myself, I normally wear gloves and use lifting straps for bb rows (note: I do not go that heavy - the most I did was 365lb x 5-6) and I had not problems with fingers.

Last time I checked, bent over rows with 365lbs is pretty heavy.

[/quote]

If it were rows ala Pendlay, then yes. That’s impressive. If it’s of the other varieties it loses it’s impressiveness. Still heavy non-the-less.

(I think the latter is where MM’s comment about estrogen comes in…)

[quote]MCS wrote:
I don’t have a an easy solution for the OP, but I’m not a beginner and get the same thing occasionally when I uses 120s or higher for DB rows. Like he said, it feels like internal bruising, particularly around the fingertips for me.

My guess is that is has to do with your “pinching” grip strength trying to overcompensate for a lack of general grip strength. I notice that as my reps go up with a given weight, the problem gets better. For instance, when I first started using 120s they would kill me. By the time I got up to reps with 150s, the 120s didn’t give me problems as often.

I admit that I never had the pain continue after I left the gym though. Personally I wouldn’t take a break from lifting unless you were pretty sure you had real damage rather than soreness. At most I would use straps for rows until your fingers better, if absolutely necessary.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, I’m hoping not to have to take a break. At the moment my next session is tomorrow, and the soreness is still there. I’m going to ice and heat it throughout today to get rid of any inflammation or irritation as fast as possible. I lifted 2 days ago with it and it was no worse from lifting, but no better, so i really want to get rid of it.