T Nation

Sore Elbows From Squatting?

Anybody have this? The soreness is kind of weird, it hurts when i perfrom an imaginary bicep curl with palms downward and wrist flexed. It does not affect pressing movements… slightly sore at the full lockout of the arm…

I seem to get it just from pulling the bar tight across the back when squatting?

any suggestions?
regds
Jonathan

I get this past a certain weight threshold. I am fine up to around 400, then at 500 my elbows would start screaming. I bought some elbow supports and use anti-inflamitories before I squat. This makes them bearable.

Yes, you will get sore elbows and shoulders from squatting with a regular bar all the time. That is if you squat properly. If you have never had them, then you are not squatting right. This is why you need to use a safety squat bar or a cambered squat bar every now and then. People think that it is the bench that tears their elbows up, but if you can use one of these bars for a week or two, you will be amazed at how much better you feel on bench days.

[quote]barbender242 wrote:
Yes, you will get sore elbows and shoulders from squatting with a regular bar all the time. That is if you squat properly. If you have never had them, then you are not squatting right. This is why you need to use a safety squat bar or a cambered squat bar every now and then. People think that it is the bench that tears their elbows up, but if you can use one of these bars for a week or two, you will be amazed at how much better you feel on bench days.[/quote]

haha so uh… YAY im doing it right… yes you are right, i get sore elbows once i go past 350lbs or so… my max is around 485. ok what youa re saying is take a week or 2 off the straight bar work right? ill do that. Seems logical. and yes bench does not hurt at all.thanks. But I cant figure out physiologically why it hurts? i mean im just pulling downward with the elbows tucked tight… what should it hurt?

regds
Jonathan