T Nation

Sore Biceps While Doing Squats

in the last two squats workouts my biceps start to sore badly during the workout sets.
of course it effects my bench press and pull ups that come after squating.
i’m trying to understand where this soreness could come from but i have no idea.

someone have an idea?

It’s probably a setup issue (bar placement, grip width etc.). You are overstretching them. Happens to people with rather low bar placement. Using wrist wraps helps but if the pain is severe I think you need to change the setup.

so i should width the grip?

i’m doing low bar with the thumbs on top of the bar

[quote]AntiLopa wrote:
so i should width the grip?

i’m doing low bar with the thumbs on top of the bar[/quote]

Hard to say what works for you. Play around a bit and see how it goes.

Try something like this:

• put the thumbs around the bar (on top put more strain on my wrists/elbows)
  • try to take a narrower grip
  • get your upper back tighter (shoulder blades together)
  • put the bar higher on your back (most obvious way to solve the problem)

This is very common. There are 2 things that have helped me. First, I stretch my pecs & shoulders before squatting. I’ve found that relieving tightness in that region really helps me drive my elbows under the bar but doesn’t bother my biceps. I just run a lacrosse ball across my pecs and front delts for 4-5 minutes on each side, and a few static stretches on each side.

I also take a “3 finger” grip on the bar. My pinky finger goes under the bar, and my other 3 fingers go over top. This relieves some of the strain on the biceps during the squat, but even at that I still have to deal with it. Mainly this allows me to stay more upright under the bar.

I also use BioFreeze & Aleve if it gets really bad.

Do you do any assistance work for curls on your off days or at the end of workouts?

I know curls are a massive waste of time for building functional strength. But I read awhile back someone who mentioned that they do a couple sets of curls at the very end of some workouts to help with this very issue. I was having similar pain in my biceps from squatting, so I do some quick curls on my way out of the gym for my bench days, and occasionally during one of my extra workouts. It’s made a noticeable difference for me, just have to get over the fact that you’ll be one of THOSE PEOPLE doing curls while you check yourself out in the mirror. When I get lazy and go a few weeks without doing any curls at the end of a workout, I notice the discomfort starts to slowly return.

Also agree with the above about tweaking your set up until you find a bar position and grip that causes a little less discomfort.

Try squeezing the bar less. There really isn’t a big need to grip the bar so tight if you have good bar placement and upper back tightness. I know that can lead to a lot of elbow problems for people (as it has for me), so I suppose it could bother the biceps as well, depending on how you set up.

[quote]AntiLopa wrote:
in the last two squats workouts my biceps start to sore badly during the workout sets.
of course it effects my bench press and pull ups that come after squating.
i’m trying to understand where this soreness could come from but i have no idea.

someone have an idea?[/quote]

My left biceps hurt like hell after squatting. Didn’t matter how much I stretched it it always ached. Turns out I had a partially torn biceps tendon. Biceps tendon cut off and reanchored into the front of my humerus and I’m GTG.

Bring your grip in when you squat. There’s really no reason, IMHO, to go all super wide and stuff. You may be wise to squat with a safety squat bar if you have access to one. I have one and find it to be indispensable.

I haven’t had pain while squatting since watching this video.

I keep getting an error when I try to embed it… here’s the url if it isn’t working;

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:
Try squeezing the bar less. There really isn’t a big need to grip the bar so tight if you have good bar placement and upper back tightness. I know that can lead to a lot of elbow problems for people (as it has for me), so I suppose it could bother the biceps as well, depending on how you set up.[/quote]

I started doing that somewhat recently to relieve some infraspinitus tightness I think. Anyway, part where my bicep goes under my shoulder and this part deep underneath the side of my chest too.