Sore After My Workouts

I’m trying the 5x5 program and find it hard to stay on track cause of soreness. Are you supposed to workout through the soreness?Anything I can do to not be so sore after my workouts??

Yes, but the soreness should get less after a couple of weeks. I would train though it if it is not to severe, ie restricting movement too much, and hit a muscle group that isn’t stiff.

Try icing, hot/cold showers and epsom salt baths (these probably help me the most when stiff).

Are you getting enough rest? Enough food, especially protein? Enough water? When you say “the 5x5” program, what do you mean exactly? Can you detail your lifting schedule?

Yes, workout through soreness most of the time.
Are you getting enough to sleep? Eating enough? Did you just start weight training? These could all affect your soreness.

Monday:
Squat - 5X5
Bench - 5X5
Barbell Row - 5X5 -

Wednesday:
Squat
Military Press
Deadlift

Friday:
Squat
Bench
Barbell Row

I’m getting the rest I need.Not sure on the protein.I supplement with protein shake.Probally need to keep a log.

[quote]graphicsMan wrote:
Are you getting enough rest? Enough food, especially protein? Enough water? When you say “the 5x5” program, what do you mean exactly? Can you detail your lifting schedule?[/quote]

He’s referring to the Bill Starr 5x5 Madcow, from the looks of it.

If you are doing new movements, you should probably expect to be sore for about a week.

After that, if you are getting sore then you are not recovering properly. This means you are not getting enough sleep and/or you are not eating enough.

1. Eat more (especially protein) and see if it helps

2. do some stretching/dynamic recovery type stuff (high knees, butt kicks, shuffles, pushups etc.) nothing that will wear out the muscle, just to get some blood flowing into it. more blood=more nutrients=better recovery.