Sore abs, great!

I know ‘sorenes doesn’t indicate progress etc etc’ But sometimes it shows you you’re on the right tack. I rarely get sore, usually soreness is mild and just after I’ve started a new exercise.
However its a little different this time:

I have been doing crunches on one of those benches where you can rest your calves on an adjustable pad (see pic) now I’ve used heavy weight (~70lb) but was worried about neck issues. I finally decieded to use a jumpstretch band attached to a DB under the bench and loop the band (started with a mini and worked up, over the weeks, to a green) around my chest. I found this hard and it felt ‘right’ It wasn’t until I added a litle weight to this set up (5kg + 2.5kg plate held at the forehead) that I really felt it, so Friday I aimed at 4 sets of 15 with 60sec rest.
I managed 15,15,15,8.

Flet sore Saturday and today. Obvious things like coughing and laughing hurt a litle (it’s not debilitating) but it was nice to feel the abs working while walking my dog this morning, each time I corrected her for pulling I could feel my abs contract to stabilise my torso. And no she’s not a big dog (40lb lab springer cross)

So in summary I feel the traditional weighted crunch does little at the top of the move, the band adds extra tension at this point making the weighted band crunch a good exercise, try it and see what you think.

For me, nothing makes my abs more sore than several strict sets of weighted chins.

A good workout can be accompanied by soreness the next, or even 2 days after, but it’s not the indicator of muscle gain progression. You can do your ab work, but if you want to see that 6 pack you better loose fat on your whole body first.

Nothing gets my abs more sore than doing some heavy front squats without my belt.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
A good workout can be accompanied by soreness the next, or even 2 days after, but it’s not the indicator of muscle gain progression. You can do your ab work, but if you want to see that 6 pack you better loose fat on your whole body first.[/quote]

Woosh!

He stated exactly what you pointed out…

why is soreness not an indicator of progress?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
For me, nothing makes my abs more sore than several strict sets of weighted chins.

Growing_Boy wrote:
Nothing gets my abs more sore than doing some heavy front squats without my belt. [/quote]

Actually I remember my first shotput workout as the day my abs had the most soreness.

i get really sore abs when i do sprints in bare feet on the beach

i get really sore abs from ironing my t-shirts while hanging upside down from a tree filled with fez wearing howler monkeys throwing anvils at my face. i still can’t do the one-handed version.

[quote]NickRageSkursky wrote:
i get really sore abs from ironing my t-shirts while hanging upside down from a tree filled with fez wearing howler monkeys throwing anvils at my face. i still can’t do the one-handed version.[/quote]

I tried that but I’m not keen on the fez (plural of fez?).

Weighted situps on the decline bench really gets mine sore every week and usually for a few days afterwards. I’ve been doing them for a year and currently do 125x2x12. I use a dumbell. People give me funny looks LOL. I hold the weight just under my nipples. Can’t wait to lean out some and see what I’ve built.

Also standing presses for a 5x5 tear them up.

1 arm incline DB presses.

Stole them from Push

[quote]NickRageSkursky wrote:
i get really sore abs from ironing my t-shirts while hanging upside down from a tree filled with fez wearing howler monkeys throwing anvils at my face. i still can’t do the one-handed version.[/quote]

I get sore abs from having sex standing up with the chicks legs wrapped around me…

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
why is soreness not an indicator of progress?[/quote]

I can have a great workout and get less sore than if I had a shitty workout and bad nutrition.

However, keeping all things equal, I think being more sore is a good indicator of a good workout. Which, I think, is what you’re saying.