T Nation

Sopranos Actor Held in Cop Killing

The article below talks about how actor Lillo Brancato, Jr. was involved in a shootout with NYPD officers, and one officer was shot and killed. The amazing thing is I was reading the guestbook from his fanclub-- http://www.guestbookdepot.com/php/guestbook.php -- and many NYPD officers posted hate messages to him. I'm actually glad they were able to vent like this. Many other states are so bleeding heart for the criminals that officers wouldn't dare to do something like this, or face discliplinary action.

Anyway, God Bless our fallen brother and many prayers will go out to him and his fellow officers.

http://www.guestbookdepot.com/php/guestbook.php?book_id=597606&start_at=-10&

'Sopranos' actor held in police shooting
Police: Off-duty officer shot in gunfight with burglars

Saturday, December 10, 2005; Posted: 2:06 p.m. EST (19:06 GMT)

Daniel Enchautegui, an off-duty NYPD officer, died in a gun battle with two suspected burglars.

An off-duty police officer was killed Saturday in a gunfight with two burglars outside his home, and authorities said an actor from "The Sopranos" was a suspect.

Daniel Enchautegui, 28, a three-year veteran, was pronounced dead at a hospital following the 5:15 a.m. shooting, said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

He was the second officer to die in the line of duty in two weeks.

"This is a loss to the department and the city," said Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who joined Kelly at the hospital. "We now have another life to mourn, taken from us for no sensible reason."

The officer had returned to his Bronx home after finishing a late shift when he heard breaking glass in an unoccupied house next door, Kelly said. The officer first called his landlord, then called 911 to report a possible burglary.

The officer grabbed his off-duty weapon and went outside to investigate. His landlord heard Enchautegui shout, "Police! Don't move!", followed by the sound of gunfire, Kelly said.

The officer was struck once in the chest with a bullet from a .357-caliber revolver. Before collapsing in the driveway of the home, he returned fire and struck both of the suspects -- one was hit twice, the other four times.

One of the suspects was identified by police as Lillo Brancato Jr., an actor who also appeared in several episodes of "The Sopranos" as Matt Bevilacqua, a mob wannabe who eventually was murdered. He made his debut in the Robert De Niro-directed film "A Bronx Tale" back in 1993.

Brancato was arrested in June for criminal possession of a controlled substance.

A police car on routine patrol arrested Brancato as he was getting into a car, police said. The second suspect, Steven Armento, was arrested as he ran from the scene. Police identified Armento as the gunman.

Both men were taken into custody without incident and were in serious condition, Kelly said.

Although police were initially using dogs and a helicopter to search for other suspects, Kelly said it appeared only the two wounded men were involved. Subway trains were stopped for several hours as the search continued.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I'm not liking how they're using the Sopranos link in this case, that dude only appeared for all of one season three years ago.

It's marketing. What the news does best. Gimme dirty laundry, and all that..........

\|/ 3Toes

I have to admit....I'm the only person in the U.S....I've never seen the show...

Sacrelige!! I won't hear of this!!

Make that two of us...

make that three of us

I think it was only for like 3 or 4 episodes. Besides, when I think of Brancato I think of A Bronx Tale (one of the best movies of all time), not the wannabe he played in the Sopranos

Who gives a shit about this terd's acting career he kiled a police officer while doing a burglary. I hope they both get the chair. To my fallen brother in NYPD, Rest in Peace Sir, your watch now continues in heaven.

You guys don't know what you are missing. The Sopranos is a great show.

shrugs
I've seen a bunch of episodes and haven't been impressed . . . But Drea De Matteo is freaken hot.

And I hope anyone who kills a cop in cold blood gets what they deserve.

Did you guys read the posts on this guy's guestbook? So sad for his fellow officers...

You are correct, my post was short-sighted and ill-timed

"Nothing worse than wasted talent"

~Sonny

I have seen it once or twice. Typical mob soap opera with much swearing.

Not bad but it didn't live up to the hype.

Has anyone visited the guestbook link in the original post here? OMG, the cops are PISSED!

http://www.guestbookdepot.com/php/guestbook.php?book_id=597606&start_at=80

I'd really like to meet w/ the supporters of this shit bird actor and introduce them to the family of the fallen officer and see if they're still so behind him. I bet they wouldn't say a word when they see the destruction and anguish that looser caused. Your absolutely right Chinadoll, the cops are pissed. I can't believe they even have a webpage for that crap. Our society is slipping away.

Just goes to show that they really do try and find authentic talent for the show. Not glorifying this at all, but I heave heard things like this.

Suppose this is art imitating life or vice versa in this case?

Me too. This would definitely be a death penalty case for the shooter, who I believe was the other guy.

For the non-shooter, it depends on NY state law. I'm not certain if they have the death penalty for felony murder in NY. Basically, felony murder is a definition of murder that allows someone who participates in an inherently dangerous crime to be guilty of a murder that occurs even if he is not the actual cause of the death.