T Nation

Sophie Delezio

I'm not sure how well known she is in the US but if you're looking for inspiration to help you deal with something difficult in your life, you'll be hard pressed to find greater inspration than this little girl.

In 2003 a car crashed into her kindergarten and burst into flames, Sophie was trapped underneath. She lost both legs, some fingers, an ear and had 85% of her body burned.

She somehow managed to survive and when she emerged from hospital, her smile lit up the nations hearts.
Then a couple of months ago she was being pushed along in a pram when a car didn't stop at a crossing and ran her over. The impact broke her jaw, her shoulder, bruised her brain, fractured her ribs and caused internal bleeding.

Still, after being on the brink of death for the second time, she walked out of hospital on her prosthetic legs with a beaming smile.

If you don't know about Sophie and you need to draw strength to face some drama in your life, I strongly recommend you check out the spirit of this little girl.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19034982-2,00.html

:frowning: but :slightly_smiling:

poor kid

NEWS UPDATE:

Earlier today, Sophie Delezio had just been released from the hospital after her second brush with death; when she was hit by two buses, a station wagon, garbage truck and a steam roller, before being torn apart by a pack of wild dingos. Witnesses report the flattened and shredded, courageous little girl was laughing inspiringly up until her last breath, when she'd finally crapped her pants and died.

"Her unfortunate super power seems to have been both irrestibility and invincibility to pedestrian-car accidents," reports the local Sherriff department. "Thank God those dingos saved her from a life of painful, yet inspiring, repeat incidences."

(I'm going to hell for that...)

And I'm going to hell for laughing at that.

Man, you are no doubt! LAMO. That was....B A D! But, very funny none the less! Hahahahah!

You know what is funnier? All those yank bastards burning to death and jumping out the windows of the World Trade Center 9/11. Splat! Hah Hah!

ps. Doesn't feel so good does it? Grow up fat yank.

I think at 6 years old she's just happy to be alive. I remember being pretty easy to please at 6. Just put me in front of an Atari 2600 and I'm busy for hours.

I cant believe this was allowed by a moderator and am disgusted that someone would find that funny. I wasn't suprised when i had a look at the profiles of the guys who replied to the thread...scrawny young insolent bastards.

Hence we have the Australian terms - "wombat! and wanker!"

While some find inspiration and strength - others can only find humiliation and small thoughts.

Says more about you than you'd probably like us to know. Grow up.

This is just one very sad post....

That young girl is absoulutely amazing. I am yet to see any footage of her when she is not smiling.

The courage she has shown through her whole ordeal is inspiring. There is a lot we could all learn from her positive attitude

"If it's true, then it's funny. If it's funny, then laugh."

But if Australian television programming tells you to be somber, then you can get your superiority jollies off my post instead.

Either way, satisfaction guarranteed!

Yours in service,
me

Nationalist much?

Anyways, you're totally barking up the wrong tree. It's off-topic, but this excerpt from the (otherwise shallow) movie "Clerks" explains my exact sentiments of those who died in the American Imperial Death Star:

DANTE: All right, so even if independent contractors are working on the Death Star, why are you uneasy with its destruction?

RANDAL: All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed - casualties of a war they had nothing to do with.
(notices Dante's confusion)
All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia - this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.

The BLUE-COLLAR MAN joins them.

BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Excuse me. I don't mean to interrupt, but what were you talking about?

RANDAL: The ending of Return of the Jedi.

DANTE: My friend is trying to convince me that any contractors working on the uncompleted Death Star were innocent victims when the space station was destroyed by the rebels.

BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Well, I'm a contractor myself. I'm a roofer...
(digs into pocket and produces business card)
Dunn and Reddy Home Improvements. And speaking as a roofer, I can say that a roofer's personal politics come heavily into play when choosing jobs.

RANDAL: Like when?

BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Three months ago I was offered a job up in the hills. A beautiful house with tons of property. It was a simple reshingling job, but I was told that if it was finished within a day, my price would be doubled. Then I realized whose house it was.

DANTE: Whose house was it?

BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Dominick Bambino's.

RANDAL: "Babyface" Bambino? The gangster?

BLUE-COLLAR MAN: The same. The money was right, but the risk was too big. I knew who he was, and based on that, I passed the job on to a friend of mine.

DANTE: Based on personal politics.

BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Right. And that week, the Foresci family put a hit on Babyface's house. My friend was shot and killed. He wasn't even finished shingling.

RANDAL: No way!

BLUE-COLLAR MAN: I'm alive because I knew there were risks involved taking on that particular client. My friend wasn't so lucky.
pauses to reflect
You know, any contractor willing to work on that Death Star knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault. A roofer listens to this... taps his heart Not his wallet.

You nailed it! How many of us could smile like that when we have nothing wrong with us. Brilliant!

I cannot even believe what I just read. That is the most amazing logical disconnect I have ever seen. You must be dumber than I thought.

Kailish, do you seriously believe that those people working in the WTC "knew the risks" of working in a skyscraper when the took a white collar desk job?

Sorry to tell you that your post was not true, and by your own reasoning above, not funny.

Actually, I found the girl's story inspiring, and also found Kailash's post hilarious (though I take issue with his WTC/Death Star comparison, since things are never that simple, but anyway...).

What I worry about is that 6-year olds are very easy to keep happy. Right now, she's surrounded by her parents, family, relatives, friends, and other people who love her. In 10 years, she's going to see the people her age whole and doing things she'll never be able to do. I hope she's still smiling then, but I somehow doubt it.

1. WTC was already bombed once before.
  2. The Feds knew it would be attacked again.
  3. Words to live by: "Be prepared"

And that's about the same warning any civilians had on the second Death Star. Just not fictional.

p.s. Soze, you seem to have edited your first post on this thread. It once said "pwned".

Anyways, you think some people would be happier about a slow news week in Australia...

Did they show the one with dancing puppy dogs yet?

Ha, that reminds me of this, which is pretty much on-topic with the OP, as far as the "crippled hero" archetype goes:

Enjoy.

I'm not quite sure what's wrong with you. The story of the dog with 2 legs is touching, no doubt, but you seem to think it's on par with the story of an innocent girl who's been hit by 2 cars in 3 years and suffered enormously, yet still maintains such a spirit of strength.

I hope you never have to be forced to understand the difference between a crippled pet and a crippled child.

Fool.