SOPA

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:
…[/quote]

I love this guy’s work. Especially his “My New Fighting Technique is Unstoppable” comic series.

Here’s a link to a petition to ask your congressman to vote against the bill:

Petition Congress: Protect the Internet for Innovators! | Progressive Change Campaign Committee (PCCC)

Not a bad article - basically says we shouldn’t let the people who don’t understand the internet (congress) be influenced to pass the proposed bills by the people who initially opposed VCR’s and DVD’s (the movie studios/MPAA).

We need to keep this topic on the front page, more people need to know about it.

On a similar note, how many of you are aware about the NDAA Obama signed on Saturday?

“Essentially, law enforcement, via the legislation, now has the authority to arrest anyone, anywhere, on mere suspicion, without a warrant, and hold the detainee at an undisclosed location for an indefinite period of time without allowing that person any contact with family, friends or legal counsel.”

Perhaps I’ve missed something since I don’t know much about politics, but this doesn’t sound like anything good.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
We need to keep this topic on the front page, more people need to know about it.

On a similar note, how many of you are aware about the NDAA Obama signed on Saturday?

“Essentially, law enforcement, via the legislation, now has the authority to arrest anyone, anywhere, on mere suspicion, without a warrant, and hold the detainee at an undisclosed location for an indefinite period of time without allowing that person any contact with family, friends or legal counsel.”

Perhaps I’ve missed something since I don’t know much about politics, but this doesn’t sound like anything good.[/quote]

It means nothing good, it means everything GREAT.

Now, we know not to voice dissent - it may be seen as a military threat, and that threat will be dealt with accordingly.

We know not to present ideas counter to current governmental policies, as that’s dissent, and see my above good new on how that turns out.

. . .

I am genuinely and completely at a loss as to what to do in this situation. I don’t see any way, aside from a weekly letter-writing and call to my representatives, to address the establishment of military detainment options the 1021 presents. Not to go old-person, but this does not seem like an American idea to tie to the pay of our servicepeople.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

Perhaps I’ve missed something since I don’t know much about politics, but this doesn’t sound like anything good.[/quote]

No, you are not missing anything.

The US have reinvented the office of elected dictator.

Instead of one term of 6 months he gets two of 4 years though, which just seems excessive.

What Push did not mention is that he gets to define what a “war” is, with entities with whom a peace treaty cannot be brokered, making it indefinite, no recourse to due process, so even if you are innocent you can scribble that on your cells walls, if you are able to after a few interludes of “enhanced interrogation”.

And that is if you are not killed outright.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

When I looked at your Wiki link it mentioned this quote: “who was part of or substantially supported al-Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated forces,” under the law of war, “without trial, until the end of hostilities.”[/quote]

I doubt america would have the arrogance to presume they could arrest anyone in any country at any time. The last little bit push said was important.

Always read the fine print people.

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

When I looked at your Wiki link it mentioned this quote: “who was part of or substantially supported al-Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated forces,” under the law of war, “without trial, until the end of hostilities.”[/quote]

I doubt america would have the arrogance to presume they could arrest anyone in any country at any time. The last little bit push said was important.

Always read the fine print people.[/quote]

Doubt they would… but they COULD and they COULD do it legally. The point is not whether it will happen or not but the fact that it strips the citizen (and visitors i guess) of their rights. It’s the principle. They might not do it now but what about 10 years down the road after “desensitization” to this kind of occurrence?