Sooner Strength

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:

Hey there, whereabouts do you work out at? I know there is Boyer’s Fitness, Downtown Fitness, and Kolossal Gym, but I don’t know of any other places. I graduated in 2002, and I just always worked out at the Huffman, so I’m unfamiliar with any other place.

That’s cool you have all those classes there, especially wall climbing. Should be fun, and a motivator for you to train (some days more than others I assume lol).

Good training and stay strong![/quote]

I don’t actually live IN Norman, I’m north of it. The church I go to has a whole new addition with a weight room, basketball courts, racquetball courts, so it has everything I need. Except the jerks that try to pressure and rush me off the one rack it has. But I stand my ground and just smile and shake my head and tell them I’m not done yet:)

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Wow. I’m impressed with how you’re attacking this. Your program looks pretty decent as well. Your own design or did you borrow it from an author? It’s rare to see someone attack like that, but I suppose some of that comes with your competitive background :).

Btw, your squat form is impeccable judging by the pic in your profile. Hell, I don’t even think I’ve got that perfect of form in the hole. Is that a self taught thing or was that part of your athletic background (with a good coach)?

Btw, I second the idea of some unilateral leg work.[/quote]

Thanks Aragorn:)
I’m the type of person that likes to see immediate results. My previous workout experience involved doing a lot of cardio then one circuit on the ‘full body circuit’ my last gym had set up. While it did produce slight results, I would get frustrated and just quit after a few weeks (for I’m also the all-or-nothing type :-p). This routine has produced great results for me so far. I feel stronger every week and can already tell a difference in the way my body looks. Which I guess is what really motivates me to attack it:)

Farther up the page you’ll notice a post by synthetickiller. He does a modified form of Sheiko and he helped me with the routine. Needless to say, it’s working:) (now if i can just keep up with my bench day!)

To say that I’m competitive is putting it lightly lol. I actually lift with my 15 y/o sister and have her doing the same routine with me. She’s probably a little taller than me and has a slightly larger build. Her overall strength is a little more than mine, but I do better with endurance on multiple sets. We definitely push each other to do better.

As far as squat form goes, I had never squatted with a bar on my back until less than 2 months ago. My dad PL’d in HS and he spotted me and gave me the general idea while I was figuring out my 1RMs. I watched some videos on squat form and just did what felt right basically. My sister tells me if I need to sit back more and calls me up, but that’s about it. We help eachother out but we’re both newbs lol.

So you’ve already got your sister training with you. Damn. You are going to go far. Of course you’re not a newbie to fitness, but still it’s really nice to see someone new to serious weight-lifting take it to heart. Gives me hope for the rest of the people I see post here everyday that someday they’ll get it. Can’t tell you how many people I’ve tried to help over the years that don’t ever “get it”.

You guys may be be newbs, but you’re doing lots of things right. And competing with each other always helps. :slight_smile:

btw, I’m in love with rock climbing and hiking as well. I always wanted to try snowboarding but since I ski I don’t worry too much about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I highly recommend Shelf Road in CO, and Horseshoe Canyon in Arkansas for climbing. Just don’t go to Ark in summer–it’s brutally hot/humid. Spring/Fall are the best times and much less crowded. It’s great, small canyon with hundreds of lines of different styles right next to each other.

Also, one thing I’m curious about…how did you find out about T-Nation?

I’ve always wondered about this. I mean for guys it’s kind of a natural extension of their nature to want to be big and strong. I can even see the more mature (age-wise) female searching for and finding a home here somehow.

I just find it so unlikely that girls my age (or thereabouts) would stick around a site like this for long enough to get hooked. I mean it’s called Testosterone Nation for crying out loud. Every woman I know is totally preoccupied with other things at this age.

Keep in mind I’m not complaining by any means :slight_smile: Far from it! I just always wondered out how a string of events would lead someone such as yourself here.

I haven’t been able to climb in a while, and I haven’t ventured outside with it yet, although I reallllly want to:) Just indoor climbing and bouldering. A few weeks ago I met a guy from AR and apparently doesn’t live too far from Horseshoe Canyon. I want to go one day, but an invite, from a guy I met once, to go to his house in Arkansas and climb isn’t one I’m going to jump at lol. Unless I can drag someone along with me 8^)

At first T-Nation was just where I would go if I was bored, seeking entertainment in the Get a life and SAMA forums. But I started venturing over to the strength sports and powerful women forums. I’ve been saying for a while how I wanted to get back in shape, and even though life was crazy with school and work, I figured that it’s only going to get harder from this point on. So might as well get my butt in gear:)

I guess I’m just not your average girl:-p
I HATE drama. The sorority girls can have it lol. I know what I want and I’m working for it, that’s all I can do:)

Brittny

If his name was Yancey, he’s a crazy man but good guy. If his name was James Boyd, he’s a lying sack of crap and he lives in my neighborhood, and is also a good guy. If it was anybody else, I volunteer to be dragged along and play bodyguard.

A good friend of mine would probably jump at the chance to come with, she’s a great climber and totally sexy-buff (she squatted 225). You could have a tag-team of bodyguards.

Anyway, kudos to you for getting in gear and working hard, and it’s nice to hear there’s at least one sane female in college these days. Sorority chicks = blargh. Small talk and superficial conversation is the bane of my existence.

No one here wants to be average anyway. Average is for people with no desires or dreams. Why settle for mediocrity?

[quote]crimson_lily wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:

Hey there, whereabouts do you work out at? I know there is Boyer’s Fitness, Downtown Fitness, and Kolossal Gym, but I don’t know of any other places. I graduated in 2002, and I just always worked out at the Huffman, so I’m unfamiliar with any other place.

That’s cool you have all those classes there, especially wall climbing. Should be fun, and a motivator for you to train (some days more than others I assume lol).

Good training and stay strong!

I don’t actually live IN Norman, I’m north of it. The church I go to has a whole new addition with a weight room, basketball courts, racquetball courts, so it has everything I need. Except the jackasses that try to pressure and rush me off the one rack it has. But I stand my ground and just smile and shake my head and tell them I’m not done yet:)

[/quote]

HAHA nice job. That sounds like a sweet church, has everything you need. Nothing better than the House of God.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
crimson_lily wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:

Good training and stay strong!

I don’t actually live IN Norman, I’m north of it. The church I go to has a whole new addition with a weight room, basketball courts, racquetball courts, so it has everything I need. Except the jackasses that try to pressure and rush me off the one rack it has. But I stand my ground and just smile and shake my head and tell them I’m not done yet:)

HAHA nice job. That sounds like a sweet church, has everything you need. Nothing better than the House of God.[/quote]

Yeah, and since I’ve started going there, whether it’s in the morning or afternoon, there are these two particular guys that seem to show up right after me. I’ve clearly thrown a hitch in their routine and have claimed the rack by the time they get there. So they hover around the DBs by the rack and start chunking stuff around. Silly boys. Need to wait their turn:)

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
If his name was Yancey, he’s a crazy man but good guy. If his name was James Boyd, he’s a lying sack of crap and he lives in my neighborhood, and is also a good guy. If it was anybody else, I volunteer to be dragged along and play bodyguard.

A good friend of mine would probably jump at the chance to come with, she’s a great climber and totally sexy-buff (she squatted 225). You could have a tag-team of bodyguards.

Anyway, kudos to you for getting in gear and working hard, and it’s nice to hear there’s at least one sane female in college these days. Sorority chicks = blargh. Small talk and superficial conversation is the bane of my existence.

No one here wants to be average anyway. Average is for people with no desires or dreams. Why settle for mediocrity?[/quote]

Haha sadly it was neither of those guys. The guy is apparently a fireman in the (small) town he lives in. He seems to have a somewhat small build for a fireman, but hey, who am I to judge:) Those rock climbers can be stronger than they look.

I can’t wait to be able to squat 225, I’m full of weakness right now…but I’m working on it:)

And who said anything about being sane?? I’m about as crazy as they come…but the ‘good’ kind of crazy, or so I’m told:-p

lol. I retract my statement. The good crazy is the kind that makes for EXCELLENT adventures! And excellent conversation.

Jasper’s a small town. Like, Andy Griffith Mayberry small. Wouldn’t surprise me at all in a place where an inmate can lounge on the step of the city jail talking to Barney and Andy in the front yard (yes, I saw that personally).

Ok, so sorry for the hijack.

back on topic–you said you wanted to get more muscle and get stronger. Do you have an ideal physique you’re shooting for? A person or pic that defines how you want to look, or is it mostly numbers right now?

Yeah, I think he’s from Decatur, AR. Don’t hold me to that though. Apparently it’s really small.

Right now it’s pretty much numbers, but now that I don’t have to go to class, I have time to do cardio and watch what I eat. I want to stay lean in the process.

Last week was failure for me working out. Finals consumed all of my time. BUT I’m getting off the 'puter right now to go to the gym. :smiley:

5/12/08

Squat
Barx10x1
55x5x1
65x5x1
75x3x1
85x5x5

CG Bench
Barx10x1
55x5x1
60x5x1
65x3x1
70x2x1 -failed 3rd rep
65x3x4

Leg Press ~unilateral machine
45/each leg x10
80/ea. leg x10x3

While waiting for the guys on the rack to be done, I thought I’d see how many pullups I could do in a row. That grand total was 3 lol. I did them with a parallel grip and extending my arms all the way after each rep. I need to work on these.

Pretty tired after this workout, squats felt heavy but I managed to push them out.
I need better sleep and more food. Eating enough is definitely a weak point of mine.

A friend of mine wants to go to the gym with me tomorrow, so I’ll have some motivation to do cardio. Some ab work as well.

The summer is off to a good start:)

~Brittny

So today I did some cardio.
I ran/walked with a friend of mine but I have NO IDEA how long or for what distance. It felt good to get my legs moving like that again, and it felt like a decent amount of work so I won’t be super sore tomorrow.

Then I did a little bit of ab work.
Situps
12x1
10x1
8x1
6x1
4x1
Then that same set backwards.

Hanging Knee Raises
10x3
I used to swing when I would do these. Now I don’t.

Threw in some calf work for the heck of it.
Calf presses on leg press machine
80x12x3

Oh, and I did another 3 pullups in a row somewhere in that workout. I went back at the end but could only pull myself up about half way lol.

I was kind of sore from squatting and the other work I did yesterday, but I’m glad I now have the time to do cardio.

Sounds like a good start to your summer. As you know, consistency is the key. You guys have a fantastic facility there to use. Just stay away from Braums and you’ll be alright. :slight_smile:

[quote]sillybubba wrote:
Sounds like a good start to your summer. As you know, consistency is the key. You guys have a fantastic facility there to use. Just stay away from Braums and you’ll be alright. :)[/quote]

LOL but I love their hamburgers soooooo much! Gahh…now that you mentoned it I feel I must eat it for lunch today! Thanks a LOT sillybubba:-p

5/14/08

Deadlift
Barx10x1
55x5x1
65x5x1
70x3x1
75x5x5

OH DB Press
8x10x1
12x5x1
15x5x5

DB Rows
10x10x1
15x10x5

After this I tried took another shot at pullups but could only muscle one out lol. Maybe I should start doing these beforeeee my routine.

I was a little more sore than usual last night and this morning and I couldn’t figure out why. Then I realized I hadn’t done leg presses in forever and I started those on Monday. Mainly felt it in my adductors, but it feels good:)

Well, gotta get ready for work.
Happy Hump Day!

I’ve been full of failure and haven’t benched in a few weeks. Time to get back into it:D

5/16/08

Bench
Barx10x1
50x5x1
60x3x1
65x5x5

WS Squats
Barx10x1
65x5x1
75x5x5

DB Press
8x10x1
12x5x2
20x10x4

Felt good after this workout. Did the whole thing solo today. I don’t particularly like benching w/o a spotter, but today I managed it ok. There were a few guys around I could have asked but I felt I could handle the weight.

I HAVE to start working some cardio in. I would go run right now, but I have to hop in the shower before I go to work.

Ciao!

Excellent job - keep it up!

Renee

[quote]reneeweimer wrote:
Excellent job - keep it up!

Renee[/quote]

Thanks Renee:D

I did manage to get outside and run today. Well it was more of a run/walk…or maybe that should be walk/run, I think I did more walking lol. But it was HOT, at least it felt really hot to me, being unconditioned and all. Maybe I should quit being lazy and sleeping till 12 and get up earlier and run when it’s cooler outside 8^)

5/19/08

Squat
Barx10x1
65x5x1
75x5x1
85x3x1
90x5x5 -these were pretty hard. I really had to push hard through the last two reps of each set. I would feel my back start to round forward, but I focused on keeping it arched and it really helped.

CG Bench
Barx10x1
55x5x1
60x5x1
65x3x1 -felt something pop on the left side of my chest. No idea what it was, but it was uncomfortable. Started to do another set but it didn’t feel right and I didn’t have a spotter, so I opted to stop.

Leg Press
45x10x1
80x5x4

Pullups Neutral grip

Crimson Lily, your subject title caught my eye!

Keep up the good work.

I didn’t realize there was such a large Oklahoma contention here on T-Nation!!

Dustin