Sooner Strength

Hi everyone!
-Note: I wrote this last night, but lost internets due to the storm lol.
With the impending doom of finals approaching and a thunderstorm raging outside, I figured now would be as good a time as any to introduce myself:)

I’ve been lurking for a few months now, and since I’ve finally started to get my butt in the gym, I thought it would be a good idea to keep a log. I’m 19 and a student at the University of Oklahoma. I’ve managed to keep off the freshman fifteen with next to no physical activity and horrible eating habits the past two semesters. I have an athletic background of gymnastics, swimming, and volleyball, and I missed being in shape. Plus I’m planning on wakeboarding a lot this summer, and I need to build up my strength so I don’t burn out so easily:)

So my goal is to increase my strength and build muscle mass.
I’m on my fourth week of the routine I’ve been doing and I’m already making gains.

Stats:
Height: 5’7"
Weight: 128
BF: NO idea

The short-term goals I set are
Squat bodyweight (135)
DL bodyweight (135; achieved today!)
Bench 100

Longterm
Squat 1.5x bodyweight
DL 2x bodyweight
Bench bodyweight

Starting 1RM
Squat 95
DL 95
Bench 70
-definitely starting off weak…

PR’s as of this week:
Squat 105
DL 135…made this one today:)…big PR for me, 40lb jump.
Bench-not sure where this one is at, will see this weekend.

My routine is as follows:
Day 1
Squat
10x1
5x1
3x1
5x5

CG Bench
10x1
10x1
5x1
3x5

Front Squat
10x1
5x1
3x1
4x5

Day 2
DL
10x1
5x1
3x1
5x5

Overhead DB Press
10x1
5x1
5x5

DB Rows
10x1
10x5

Day 3
Bench
20x1
10x1
5x1
5x5

Wide Stance Squat
10x1
5x1
5x5

DB Press
10x1
5x2
10x4

I need to work in cardio and ab work on my off days, but life has been crazy with work and school.
Once finals are over this week hopefully I can get into a more consistent routine.

Oh, and my diet is pretty much shit. I’ve been trying to just eat more in general, I used to get by on hardly anything with being so busy with school and work.

Anyways, sorry for the long post!
I really enjoy reading everyone’s logs and seeing the progress being made. I can only hope to become as strong as the women I see on here!

I’ll post logs and all that jazz later, the storm has subsided, so it’s bed time:)

Brittny

Hi there. Welcome.

You look like you’re starting about where I started last September. I think you’ll find that things will move fairly quickly in the beginning. Your long term goals are the same as mine are and you may find yourself reaching them more quickly than you anticipated.

I hope you love it as much as I do.

O

Throw in some unilateral leg work. Will help your balance for wakeboarding. OHS would be good in a cycle also. Good luck. You’ve come to a good place.

TNT

That’s my girl! :wink:

Damned Okies… :wink:

Thanks for the welcome everyone:)

Week 1

4/7/08
Squat
barx10x1
55x5x1
60x3x1
65x5x5

CG Bench
Barx20x1
50x10x1
55x5x1
60x3x1 -Failed on 3rd rep
55x3x4

Front Squat
Barx10x1
50x5x1
55x3x5

Decline crunches w/ 3kg medicine ball
15x3
Hanging knee raises
15x1 -couldn’t stabilize, tired
Crunches
10x1 -VERY tired-called it a day lol

4/8/08

Ran/walked for 30 minutes. Probably ran a total of 1 mile.
LOW endurance, not feeling much in my muscles, but lungs/chest on fire.

15x2 Situps
10x1 Pushups
X3
Abs sore from yesterday, felt them every rep.

4/9/08

Deadlift
Barx10x1
50x5x1
55x3x1
60x5x5

Overhead DB Press
5x10x1
10x5x1
15x5x5

DB Rows
10x10x1
15x10x5

4/11/08

Benched this day, can’t find log:(

Week 2

4/13/08

Squat
Barx10x1
55x5x1
65x3x1
70x5x5

CG Bench
Barx10x1
50x5x1
55x3x1
65x2x1
60x3x4

Front Squat
Barx10x1
50x5x1
55x3x1
60x4x3

4/15/08

Deadlift
Barx10x1
65x5x1
70x3x1
65x5x5

Overhead DB Press
10x10x1
15x5x1
20x5x1 -left shoulder started popping/crunching
15x4x1

DB Rows
15x10x1
20x10x5

4/18/08

Bench
Barx10x1
50x5x1
55x3x1
65x5x5

WS Squats
Barx10x1
55x5x1
65x5x5

DB Press
5x10x1
10x5x2
15x10x4

Week 3

4/21/08

Squat
Barx10x1
55x5x1
65x3x1
75x5x5

CG Bench
Barx10x1
50x5x1
60x3x1
65x3x5 -last 2 sets, failed last rep

Front Squat
Barx10x1
50x5x1
55x3x1
60x4x2 -tired, cut sets short

Didn’t get to DL or bench this week…had a couple tests plus a speech to prepare for. I can’t wait for school to be over!

Week 4

4/28/08

Squat
Barx10x1
60x5x1
70x5x1
80x3x1
95x1
105x1 -failed
100x1 -PR
105x1 -PR
110x1 -failed; tired at this point, but figured I’d try anyway

5/1/08

Deadlift
Barx10x1
55x5x1
65x5x1
75x5x1
85x5x1
95x1
135x1 -PR; felt equally difficult as 95, the height of the bar really makes a difference.

New DL goal: 150

Planning on benching today, depends on how studying goes.
It’s too easy at the end of the week to put benching off, then just end up not doing it. I need to quit this!!

Hi - It’s awesome how you’re attacking things to achieve your goals! I’ve been wakeboarding for a while now, and to avoid that first-time-out-burn I’ll add a couple of sets of sissy squats (high reps) to the end of my leg workouts; sure those hurt more, but it’s better to be ready in the water.

trainersjournal.com
the fitness lifestyle

Hey kbessette, thanks!
Yeah my forearms and quads are where I really feel it. That reminds me, I’ll also probably try to do some grip work, not sure what yet.
But I’ll try to add in some high rep squats.

I can’t wait to get out on the water!

Welcome & good luck!

I’m a Boomer Sooner, as well. I went to OU overseas, so I’m not a “real” Boomer, but the profs were fantastic.

Keep after it!

Renee

Thanks Renee:)

Yeah the profs are pretty great. The ability to decipher thick accents really comes in handy in the science department though lol.

Two finals down, two to go!
Then I can officially say I survived freshman year:)

Thankfully made it to the gym today.
Stress relief was definitely in order for this week.

Squat
Barx10x1
65x5x1
70x5x1
75x3x1
80x5x5 ~last rep of last two sets difficult

CG Bench
Barx10x1
55x5x1
60x5x1
65x3x5

Didn’t do front squats today.
I ate next to nothing all day and was very jittery and unstable. Had hardly any energy left, better to be safe than sorry.

Now to quit being distracted by T-Nation and study for my calc final…blah.

BOOMER SOONER!!!

Welcome aboard. I went to OU and graduated from there a few years back. Are you lifting at the Huff? I went there before all the renovations happened, and I went back last year, and it looks fantastic. Top notch facility indeed (plus it’s OU, what do you expect)?

Keep it rollin lily!!!

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
BOOMER SOONER!!!

Welcome aboard. I went to OU and graduated from there a few years back. Are you lifting at the Huff? I went there before all the renovations happened, and I went back last year, and it looks fantastic. Top notch facility indeed (plus it’s OU, what do you expect)?

Keep it rollin lily!!![/quote]

Hey tmoney, nice to see that someone actually survived this place! :-p

I don’t live on campus, so going to the Huff would be out of my way. Next semester I’m going to be there a lot though. Three of my fall classes are there, Intro to HES, Personal Health, and wall climbing. I haven’t decided that if being there will motivate me to work out more or cause me to loathe every time I have to walk through the doors lol.

Welcome, and BOOMER SOONER!

I say welcome, but much like you, I’ve been a lurker for ages. I graduated OU in 01 and 04, and moved back to CO (my home state). Started PLing last August. Seeing a Sooner motivated me to say hi!

I took weightlifting at Huff’n’Puff and while I remember it being a decent class, I don’t think I did anything compound.

My gym when I moved off campus was the place near Homeland on Lindsey (Boyer’s Fitness? I don’t remember). I wasn’t there often enough to remember the quality of the equipment, hehe…

Good to see another Sooner!

[quote]crimson_lily wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
BOOMER SOONER!!!

Keep it rollin lily!!!

Hey tmoney, nice to see that someone actually survived this place! :-p

I don’t live on campus, so going to the Huff would be out of my way. Next semester I’m going to be there a lot though. Three of my fall classes are there, Intro to HES, Personal Health, and wall climbing. I haven’t decided that if being there will motivate me to work out more or cause me to loathe every time I have to walk through the doors lol.
[/quote]

Hey there, whereabouts do you work out at? I know there is Boyer’s Fitness, Downtown Fitness, and Kolossal Gym, but I don’t know of any other places. I graduated in 2002, and I just always worked out at the Huffman, so I’m unfamiliar with any other place.

That’s cool you have all those classes there, especially wall climbing. Should be fun, and a motivator for you to train (some days more than others I assume lol).

Good training and stay strong!

Wow. I’m impressed with how you’re attacking this. Your program looks pretty decent as well. Your own design or did you borrow it from an author? It’s rare to see someone attack like that, but I suppose some of that comes with your competitive background :).

Btw, your squat form is impeccable judging by the pic in your profile. Hell, I don’t even think I’ve got that perfect of form in the hole. Is that a self taught thing or was that part of your athletic background (with a good coach)?

Btw, I second the idea of some unilateral leg work.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Welcome, and BOOMER SOONER!

I say welcome, but much like you, I’ve been a lurker for ages. I graduated OU in 01 and 04, and moved back to CO (my home state). Started PLing last August. Seeing a Sooner motivated me to say hi!

I took weightlifting at Huff’n’Puff and while I remember it being a decent class, I don’t think I did anything compound.

My gym when I moved off campus was the place near Homeland on Lindsey (Boyer’s Fitness? I don’t remember). I wasn’t there often enough to remember the quality of the equipment, hehe…

Good to see another Sooner![/quote]

Hey:D
Nice to see I’ve brought someone out of lurkdom lol.
You should keep a log, already it’s been great to get encouragement and advice from people. Plus it keeps me more accountable and I’m sad if I don’t get to post a log because I didn’t work out lol.
Yeah I was going to take weightlifting but none of the times were conducive to my schedule (6 classes is going to be tough!) so I opted for wall climbing. I haven’t been able to climb in a while, so even if I can’t get to the climbing gym I’ll be able to do it at school:)

CO is gorgeous, I have some relatives there and I want to go visit. It has just about everything I love doing, snowboarding, rock climbing, camping, and I realllly want to go white water rafting. Plus I’m assuming I could find a lake or two to wakeboard on:)