T Nation

Son's Stinky Friend


#1

My 11 year old son has a neighborhood friend who's been coming over a lot lately and the kid just reeks. It's not only unpleasant being round him, it's unpleasant after he leaves. I made the mistake of sitting on the couch hours after this kid left one time and I ended up stinking. That night I took the couch pillows outside, poured baking soda on, patted it in and left them out over night. In the morning I whacked the baking soda out and brought them in. When I got home from work later that day I sniffed and they still stunk. Its that bad.

I've decided it's not a sanitary issue, it's just the way this kid smells. You know how old people have old person smell sometimes? Its like that, intense old person smell. So, my dilemma is do I talk to the kids parents? I think the only thing that might work is drastic dietary changes but thats just a guess. I might be offending them over something they can't do anything about. I'd hate to have to tell the kid he can't come in our house but I also don't want to be uncomfortable in my own home. So, its down to one of those two things, tell the poor kid he can't come in our house or try to come up with a non-offensive way of talking to his parents about it and hoping they can actually do something.

I'm all ears for any alternative solutions, ways to broach the subject with the parents or thoughts on why a kid would stink so bad.


#2

SLIT HIS FUCKING THROAT


#3

Has your son mentioned it? 11yr olds can be brutal.


#4

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#5

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
SLIT HIS FUCKING THROAT[/quote]
Lmao good answer


#6

His home life could be pretty shitty, which would also explain why he is over so much. I would drop him off at his house sometime you never know his parents could be hoarders or filthy drug addicts and his house is probably a complete shitty mess.


#7

Did you try hitting him?


#8

When we were in junior high the PE teacher told us that we stink and we all need to shower every day.

Since you’re grown up he should take it fine as long as you let him know that it’s something we all have to do.

EDIT: I just read that you think it may not be a showering issue. So I don’t know what to do.

Oh wait, and PIIHP.


#9

Do his clothes seem clean? What sort of odor is it? A moldy smell, like he’s been pulling his clothes out of the dirty laundry? Or something personal, like bad breath or gas?

One option, though I’m not sure it’s a good one, would be to talk to the school nurse if he goes to school with your son. Sometimes they’ll confront the issue.


#10

I guess I’m confused. I’m not sure what the smell is (if it’s not sanitary). Gas? Body Odor? Are you simply not sure? Maybe approach the parents with a genuine (and appropriate) concern about the child’s health. If there is something wrong, perhaps there is something you can do to help when he’s at your place?

Do you have a relationship with the parents. Knowing about them will help advise a path forward.

Like Nards’ above, I remember being 12-13 and having our (hot, 20-something) science and math teacher give us the “you are all growing and it’s time to shower and use deodorant” speech. As I recall it started a conversation among us kids and I don’t recall it changing our opinion of her.


#11

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
I guess I’m confused. I’m not sure what the smell is (if it’s not sanitary). Gas? Body Odor? Are you simply not sure? Maybe approach the parents with a genuine (and appropriate) concern about the child’s health. If there is something wrong, perhaps there is something you can do to help when he’s at your place?

Do you have a relationship with the parents. Knowing about them will help advise a path forward.

Like Nards’ above, I remember being 12-13 and having our (hot, 20-something) science and math teacher give us the “you are all growing and it’s time to shower and use deodorant” speech. As I recall it started a conversation among us kids and I don’t recall it changing our opinion of her.

[/quote]

It’s different when it’s directed at everyone, and not just specifically you.

I wonder if the kid isn’t wiping well.


#12

Is the odour fishy? because there’s a disease called Trimethylaminuria, where due to some metabolic disorder some people can’t break down certain compounds in food.

I remember seeing in on Embarassing Bodies once.

It may not be his fault…

…or he may just be a dirty fucker.


#13

Take them to the swimming pool, see if he leaves a slick on the top of the water or if he smells socially acceptable afterwards. Or get the wife to take them, whilst you maintain distance and hold your breath.


#14

[quote]Nards wrote:

Oh wait, and PIIHP.[/quote]

Really dude?


#15

[quote]Grumpig Hunt wrote:
Take them to the swimming pool, see if he leaves a slick on the top of the water or if he smells socially acceptable afterwards. Or get the wife to take them, whilst you maintain distance and hold your breath.[/quote]

I was going to write a real reponse, to this thread, but damnit I’m laughing pretty hard at the ‘slick on the water’ visual. After that, I’ve got nothing.

(sucks that it’s a little kid, makes any option rough)

S


#16

Some people lack the enzymes required to break down the stank of waste expelled through the sebaceous glands.

Alternatively, he may live over top of a superfund site and is thoroughly imbued with toxic waste.

Either way, don’t go near him. Turn that cushion over to the EPA.


#17

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
Is the odour fishy? because there’s a disease called Trimethylaminuria, where due to some metabolic disorder some people can’t break down certain compounds in food.

I remember seeing in on Embarassing Bodies once.
[/quote]

this is my guess too, they call it fish odour syndrome.

poor little dude if he’s got that. Good luck getting any ass whatsoever


#18

Doesn’t your son realize he smells like shit? Don’t his classmates and the other neighborhood kids realize he smells like shit?

Because when I was a kid, and I’m sure the same can be said for most people here, a kid who smelled that bad would have been ostracized to the point where no one would have hung out with him. Is this not what’s going on with your son and this little stinker?


#19

I would do a recon mission round to his house, and see how badly it stinks. Could be his whole family stinks so they don’t realise how bad it is.


#20

Tell your son to tell him that he stinks.

Simples.