T Nation

Son Just Whupped Me!

Three weeks ago my 11 year old son watched while I played computer chess on the flight home from vacation. The next night he asked me to show him how to play so I got out my laptop and taught him how to play and gave him tips while he played the computer. Same next night and after he told me he wanted to play me on a game board the next day. Pretty much every day since then we have played one game. I would always give him tips as we play and let him take back moves.

Last weekend I concluded he knack for the game. He had his friend over who happens to be more than two years older than he is. As usual they were non stop on the video games which drives me crazy. I suggested they play chess and the other boy was all for it. My son didn’t want to and I suspected he was afraid of loosing to his friend. Anyway, the boy wanted to play so I ended up playing him. He knew all the moves and he was pretty careful but there was something missing from his game. I felt I could do whatever I wanted to with no worry of anything he was doing. Playing my son, I know I’m in complete control but also have the sense I need to be careful because he is working at things. He has strategy.

Last night we played our daily game and as usual I gave him tips and hints and let him take back moves but this time he beats me! I congratulated him AND informed him I wouldn’t be helping him anymore when we play.

That brings us to our game this morning. I bring out my king pawn he brings out his king pawn. I bring out a knight he brings out something else NOT protecting his pawn, so I take it with the knight. He brings up his queen pawn threatening my knight. In this situation I would normally retreat, saving the knight. I’m playing a kid though so I am emboldened. I take the knight pawn by the king. The net on this is I give up my knight for two pawns but I also open a nice hole in front of his king and he loses his ability to castle because he has to use his king to take my knight.

The strategy paid off because a few moves later I had his queen pinned behind his king in check and he had to give her up. Unfortunately, a few moves after that I got sloppy and lost my queen. No problem I thought. In total count I was up by one pawn, I had two pawns controlling the center of the board, my king was safely castled and I’m the freaking adult.

A few moves later I’m threatening a bishop with a knight and he moves a pawn one square on the other side of the board. It seemed to me like a move he was making because he really didn’t know what to move. I thought he missed that his bishop would be lost and I couldn’t help but go back on my word and I said “look, are you sure you want to do that?” while pointing at the piece in jeopardy. He said yes and I thought he was just being noble by not accepting my help.

As I’m sure you guessed at this point, he had me in checkmate a couple moves later. Just over three weeks after learning to play and his first game with no help. Already a master of the sacrifice. Pretty cool.

That is pretty cool. Looks like he put the hammer down. Planning on trying him on any other strategy board games? Good way of getting away from the mindless video games. Could try him on Portal. Over all good job though, you other post about bully prevention training was kind of inspiring.

Get him playing command & conquer.

You lose to him on that consider your mancard revoked.

Must have been an intense match if you could recall your moves like that. Very impressive and congratulations on your son picking it up so quickly! I learned when I was young myself, we didn’t have a TV growing up in Greece so me and my brother would go to the beach and play chess for 4-5 hours every day during the summers. Good memories =)

He will cherish these moments of playing chess with you like I did when my dad taught me, so keep playing with him!

[quote]harrypotter wrote:
Get him playing command & conquer.

You lose to him on that consider your mancard revoked.[/quote]
Is the mancard then burnt, shredded, or given to his son?

Chess is one of my favorite games of all time.

Sounds like the kid has a knack for it - it took me a long while to really get the idea of what I was doing and what the word “strategy” meant in regards to every piece movement being part of the larger plan.

From the title of this thread I was expecting that your son physically beat you up & you didn’t know whether to feel humiliated or proud… or something like that, I’m disappointed.

That’s awesome. Tried teaching my wife and one of my daughters but that didn’t last long.

What computer chess do you use? I generally play on http://www.555games.com/ the harder level is pretty good but it has some quirks.

You lost at something to an 11 year old?

You’re pathetic.

I crush kids who dare challenge me. Why just the other day my daughters friend had a birthday at which I absolutely dominated a grape eating contest with a 5 year old.

I was merciless and classless in victory.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
You lost at something to an 11 year old?

You’re pathetic.

I crush kids who dare challenge me. Why just the other day my daughters friend had a birthday at which I absolutely dominated a grape eating contest with a 5 year old.

I was merciless and classless in victory.[/quote]

srsly - you should hit him - then punish him for thinking of challenging you.

then sell him to gypsies~