Somewhat New to Lifting and in DIRE Need of Moral Support

I remember how much I lifted and write it down later that day.

You can get a lot of the hardcore inspiration you need from this site. Check out the PR threads in the T-Cell and the PL forum, or the brotherhood of iron or maraduermeat’s thread in the BB forum.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Man up. Mind your own business and stop watching other people. Creepo

And stop watches are ghey. [/quote]

Kind of my reaction… then I realised I use one to time bar holds. I’m gay.

OP, much of what you list is a bit out of the norm to expect most people to be doing. I’ve never seen or heard of a single leg RDL. I’m sure it’s legit but let other people do their own stuff. When I got really serious about progressing, I found a PL club to join and train with.

Don’t look to other people for moral support. Find it in yourself.[/quote]

This.

And OP, you really don’t need a training partner until you reach a sticking point on your bench. Even then, you can set the pins in the cage low enough to rack the bar if you fail. I always train alone and mind my own business. Besides, the voices in my head are yelling “It’s all you, babe!”

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Gee, I don’t keep a log and never have.

I don’t do “one legged RDL”.

If you need a fucking stop watch to train, I would assume you are a beginner. I never needed a stop watch then either but at least that makes more sense. If you’ve been lifting for several years and still can’t gauge how long to spend between sets by feel, then you may not be cut out for this.

While I can understand how someone hardcore would want to be around others with the same goals, nothing you’ve written makes you sound “hardcore” or very serious at all. You sound like some guy who got his entire perception of what training even is from a book he read.
[/quote]

I am a beginner, and I stated that in the OP. My point was that the shit I do ISN’T hardcore. I would like to be around people like you, so that I CAN LEARN how to step it up. At this point, my training IS from books, because I’m still in just the baby stages of figuring out what works for me and how to get the feel of things.

I use the stop watch because all the programs I read have prescribed rest times. My OP was basically my way of saying I’ve been acknowledging that I need to be surrounded by more experienced lifters in order to help me grow. [/quote]

Do you want people to lift the weights for you too?

Accomplishments are made by the hard work you do for yourself. Do you need a cheerleader or something? I’m sure you can pay a PT 50 bucks an hour to count your reps and motivate you into lifting harder than you thought you could.

Maybe you should try to be a positive influence on some other beginner and talk them into lifting with you?

“Champions aren’t made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision.” ~Muhammad Ali

David Henry keeps a training log.

Just sayin’.

FWIW I have been lifting at a college fitness center for 3 years so I can understand the frustration of not having people around you to bounce ideas off of. It also sucks sometimes to not have a spot readily available if needed.

On the other hand, no one bothers me when I go in. The one and only squat rack is rarely being used. And when no one else in there knows what they are doing, you can try really weird things and no one will look at you funny. Just look at the positives.

I can’t speak for other people, but I would say what you are “going through” is pretty common in most areas of learning. For example, a buddy of mine is a shifu and he is always complaining about silver sashes because they believe they have it all figured out; they have the basic moves mastered and think they are on par with Masters. Then they get their black sash and the real training begins. That’s when they learn that the movements were only a small part and they have a long way to go.

So consider this your first step. You know more than a majority of the population which is good, but there is A LOT more to learn. I remember a time when I thought I was the shit. Then I tried a program that was completely different than what I had been doing and I realized I am a moron; but I’m working on that.

This is probably why your post was met with such animosity; you are in a room with people who have spent a long time perfecting their craft and from their level you are just another guy doing curls in the squat rack.

Consider yourself a rookie; carry pads, cut your hair, you might have to wear a skirt–I don’t know all the rules. Put your time in reading. Put your time in under the bar. A year from now, look back at this post and laugh about how little you knew and how much you have learned.

Home Gym FTW!!!

LOL at dickbag being so nice to everyone. dickbag, aren’t you supposed to be a dick or something? Stop being so damn nice laddy.

V

[quote]SmilingPolitely wrote:
FWIW I have been lifting at a college fitness center for 3 years so I can understand the frustration of not having people around you to bounce ideas off of. It also sucks sometimes to not have a spot readily available if needed.

On the other hand, no one bothers me when I go in. The one and only squat rack is rarely being used. And when no one else in there knows what they are doing, you can try really weird things and no one will look at you funny. Just look at the positives.

I can’t speak for other people, but I would say what you are “going through” is pretty common in most areas of learning. For example, a buddy of mine is a shifu and he is always complaining about silver sashes because they believe they have it all figured out; they have the basic moves mastered and think they are on par with Masters. Then they get their black sash and the real training begins. That’s when they learn that the movements were only a small part and they have a long way to go.

So consider this your first step. You know more than a majority of the population which is good, but there is A LOT more to learn. I remember a time when I thought I was the shit. Then I tried a program that was completely different than what I had been doing and I realized I am a moron; but I’m working on that.

This is probably why your post was met with such animosity; you are in a room with people who have spent a long time perfecting their craft and from their level you are just another guy doing curls in the squat rack.

Consider yourself a rookie; carry pads, cut your hair, you might have to wear a skirt–I don’t know all the rules. Put your time in reading. Put your time in under the bar. A year from now, look back at this post and laugh about how little you knew and how much you have learned.

[/quote]

Nice socks.

[quote]DickBag wrote:
I gotta say th OP is a pretty classy dude with his reasonable replies.

I see where your coming from OP, i used to take rest times serious when I started, and I over questioned alot of things in the gym when the owner gave me some prgrammes, and now my attitude is take as long a break in between sets as you can get away with while still making progress and staying warmed up and so on.

[/quote]

Thanks. I try. There’s nothing to gain from getting overly defensive or being a dick to everyone. I came here for advice, even if the advice is to stop fucking whining, or to call me out for sounding like a naive douchebag. All things I need to know.

Honestly though, I don’t know my body well enough yet to gauge rest times on my own depending on the style of training I’m doing. And I’m not one of those who goes RIGHT ON TIME…I give myself a 15 s window depending on how I feel.

I live by the clock enough as it is and i’ll be damned if I have one dictate when it’s time for me to do another set.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
I have lifted at the campus rec cen[/quote]

the answer is kinda fucking obvious

[quote]ramrod63 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
I have lifted at the campus rec cen[/quote]

the answer is kinda fucking obvious
[/quote]

Go to the campus rec center and snap all of their floating ribs?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
What a whiny fucking bitch.[/quote]

Did we just become best friends?

Wanna do karate in the garage?

[quote]imhungry wrote:
I live by the clock enough as it is and i’ll be damned if I have one dictate when it’s time for me to do another set.[/quote]

Awesome. Too true.

I dont think the OP gets enough Zinc in his diet