T Nation

Somewhat New to Lifting and in DIRE Need of Moral Support

honestly, you go to your school’s rec center. you’re not gonna find many people that have any idea what they are doing. once you do, make friends and try to workout with them. however, ive never done anything on your list either

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
What’s wrong with stop watches? I primarily use it as a check to make sure I don’t rest too long. [/quote]

Maybe you should be less worried about anal time tracking and more concerned with accomplishing something worth talking about.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
What’s wrong with stop watches? I primarily use it as a check to make sure I don’t rest too long. [/quote]

Maybe you should be less worried about anal time tracking and more concerned with accomplishing something worth talking about.[/quote]

Tracking anal time? I’ve never seen that either. That’s just odd.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Maybe you should be less worried about anal time tracking and more concerned with accomplishing something worth talking about.[/quote]

Tracking anal time? I’ve never seen that either. That’s just odd.[/quote]

Have an open mind, it can be fun but it’s pretty risky…

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Such as…?

[quote]Onslaught2099 wrote:

That’s pretty fuckin’ hilarious.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]mikey01 wrote:
UCSB rec cen?[/quote]

yep[/quote]

Wait wat. Me too.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

That’s pretty fuckin’ hilarious.[/quote]

Yeah it is but on a serious note man, grab up a gymboss timer and call it a day. Saves a ton of time and makes you keep it real with rest periods.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:
who the fuck is Zac Efron?[/quote]

The OP.

What I want to know is: does anyone else find it hysterical that Zac doesn’t even have the bottle to lay it all out there and just admit that he’s completely fucking awash in disgust and hatred at all the pussies that work out at the gym and that he’s angered and resentful at having to be surrounded by the absolute societal dregs of the weight-lifting community, thereby ruining the path to greatness in his gym performance that he strives for despite already having the deck stacked against him because he is not a naturally-gifted athlete, which is something that all the blithering pieces of shit at his school gym should not only recognize and pay proper tribute to, but should also acknowledge by emulating the somewhat avant-garde (in his eyes) nature of his workouts that he has specifically tailored to meet all of his clearly-defined goals in the face of such daunting disadvantages as the aforementioned lack of athletic ability that his parents unfortunately passed onto him, which is ironic since both of his parents were great collegiate athletes and he has therefore determined that this must be a signal that he represents the result of some ill-gotten rendezvous between his mother and father that resulted in a weak, flawed melding of their genes and which produced what could only be considered a through and through dud that is him, given the fine stock from which they both originated, and it is this burden which he carries around his neck like a millstone day to day that he fully expects those who dare to desecrate his gym time with their apathetic presence to bow before him, to cast themselves prostrate on the ground at his sight, to genuflect at his feet and kiss his hand as you would any other deity that walks among mere mortals for it is He who has achieved what the peasantry that frequents His gym can never reach, and that achievement is Total Power and Immortality that He has reached through a life of virtuous and vigilant worship of the Almighty Single Leg Dumbbell Deadlift and his companions, the Everlasting Dumbbell snatch and the Holy Roman Deadlift From Deficit, and although they may struggle and push to achieve what He has, they never can because God has chosen Him to represent him on Earth as a shining example to all of the blind sheep that there is indeed a Greater Reward for them all, but it can only be achieved by following in the same footsteps that He did and by renewing their faith in Him so that they may fully give their lives over to Him in pursuit of the ultimate goal and while this ultimate goal may only exist in the next life, He has been to the other side and come back and He has seen all the wonderful splendor and everlasting beauty in Enlightenment and although he rarely ever tells anyone this (mostly due to the rather peculiar reaction he gets, but that is to be expected because as God says, there are many blind sheep and some are more blind than others and they cannot see the Light as easily as others) the fact is that He was approached by one of God’s angels after an especially grueling workout at the gym despite the noxious stench emanating from the lifeless, pale, pasty bodies of the unsaved that surrounded Him, and this angel took Him off the ground and slowly pulled Him up into the angel’s ship that floated above Him and was round in shape with bright lights that ran around the outer edge of the ship with a dim red light pulsing inside of what looked like a circular opening in the center of the orb and which had what appeared to Him to be several people of a weird shape and complexion and body structure that were peering out the opening and down upon him, but he never got to see them up close because He must have passed since the next thing He remembered was a bright light in front Him that was unforgiving to the point where he was forced to squeeze his eyes shut as tight as possible and turn his head far to one side or the other, which wasn’t very far because although he only has a vague recollection of the experience he does remember that for whatever reason he was strapped down into some sort of chair, made of what he wasn’t sure but he also remembered the cold chill that came over him when the entirely foreign material underneath his fingers first touched it because although the feeling was only fleeting, he was hit with the most odd sense of otherworldliness, as if he instantly recognized that the material in which he sat was not of this planet and it is not the alien nature of the material that jolted him but rather the immediacy of his calm realization of such a bizarre thing, as if he had expected something like this to happen from the depths of his subconscious because he certainly couldn’t remember any time that he had consciously thought about some descent of God’s agents down to Earth to pluck him out of the gym and into a position of service to God and immortality and total enlightenment, but it the moment was here nonetheless and he shocked at the ease in which he accepted this, and when he was able to come to grips with what was happening it became obvious what he must do and that was to spread the word of God throughout all of the gyms in the world and he was to start right there in his own school gym and it is this thought that he remembers last for then a large needle appeared in front of him, and even though he couldn’t see it since his eyes were still mashed shut under the harsh scrutiny of the blinding light, he knew it was some sort of needle because he vividly remembers a sharp pain in his forehead and knew right away that is was some sort of needle and then before his brain had time to process this information and determine whether this needle being depressed into the skin of forehead was good or bad, everything went black and then he awoke on the ground, bloodied and beaten, underneath the bridge near his gym and his pants were lost but he stumbled forth anyways and staggered back to his home and contemplated what had just happened and what he should do and then a voice echoed in his head and at first he couldn’t understand it, but the voice slowly grew louder and when he could hear it he realized that it was a voice telling him that he is Immortal and that he is God’s representation on Earth, a prophet, a walking angel, a beacon for all the blind and the weak and the poor and the ignorant who frequent the gym he goes to, and that he must spread this message of Hope and Hip Flexibility and Properly-Activated Traps and Unilateral Movements and that the road would be hard and it would be tough and it would beat him down into the ground until he couldn’t get up, but he HAD to get up and he had to keep pushing himself forward, through his preaching and his work ethic, so that the sheep may see the example he puts forth and understands that here is a man who has been beaten and kicked and spit upon and his genes are flawed, the result of a regrettable tryst between his now-barren mother and his domineering father, a man who has fought for everything he has and in return God has bestowed upon him the Mantle of the Bat and he must use it to strike fear into the hearts of criminals and show the blind the light and demonstrate to them that if they too work and master the art of the avant-garde (in his mind anyways) then they can achieve the same immortality that he has (not really) and usher in a new Age of Physical Fitness and Health in a place where God can truly build a Kingdom on Earth with him at his side and all the gyms in the world are places that worship him and help spread the love and peace and health that he wishes for all of us instead of turning into the lazy fucking asswipes who curl in the squat rack, with absolute fagot weight on the bar and can’t even do half of a squat without wobbling all over the fucking place that he can barely resist the urge to blow into a thousand bloody pieces with the loaded .44 Magnum he keeps in a paper bag in his gym locker that he thinks one of the employees might have seen when he put it in there earlier that week, but fuck him, that guy will never say anything or suspect anything because He is Zac Efron.

[quote]A Ninny Mouse wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]mikey01 wrote:
UCSB rec cen?[/quote]

yep[/quote]

Wait wat. Me too.[/quote]

Sweet!

Oh, it’s you, the built for show guy! I’m the asian deadlift dude haha.

Gee, I don’t keep a log and never have.

I don’t do “one legged RDL”.

If you need a fucking stop watch to train, I would assume you are a beginner. I never needed a stop watch then either but at least that makes more sense. If you’ve been lifting for several years and still can’t gauge how long to spend between sets by feel, then you may not be cut out for this.

While I can understand how someone hardcore would want to be around others with the same goals, nothing you’ve written makes you sound “hardcore” or very serious at all. You sound like some guy who got his entire perception of what training even is from a book he read.

[/quote]

HOLY SHIT THIS IS GOLD!!! I was literally rofling

[quote]A Ninny Mouse wrote:

[/quote]

HOLY SHIT THIS IS GOLD!!! I was literally rofling[/quote]

LOL!

How convenient.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

If you need a fucking stop watch to train, I would assume you are a beginner. I never needed a stop watch then either but at least that makes more sense. If you’ve been lifting for several years and still can’t gauge how long to spend between sets by feel, then you may not be cut out for this.

While I can understand how someone hardcore would want to be around others with the same goals, nothing you’ve written makes you sound “hardcore” or very serious at all. You sound like some guy who got his entire perception of what training even is from a book he read.
[/quote]

I am a beginner, and I stated that in the OP. My point was that the shit I do ISN’T hardcore. I would like to be around people like you, so that I CAN LEARN how to step it up. At this point, my training IS from books, because I’m still in just the baby stages of figuring out what works for me and how to get the feel of things.

I use the stop watch because all the programs I read have prescribed rest times. My OP was basically my way of saying I’ve been acknowledging that I need to be surrounded by more experienced lifters in order to help me grow.

Big ground breaking advice here:Find something heavy, pick it up, repeat as much as possible.

Quit worrying about what other people are doing. Who the fuck cares if they’re not as hardcore as you? Is that what you go to the gym for? To prove to yourself that you’re a man?
You go to the gym for you not to show off to the other pussies there.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[/quote]

I am a beginner, and I stated that in the OP. My point was that the shit I do ISN’T hardcore. I would like to be around people like you, so that I CAN LEARN how to step it up. At this point, my training IS from books, because I’m still in just the baby stages of figuring out what works for me and how to get the feel of things. I use the stop watch because all the programs I read have prescribed rest times. My OP was basically my way of saying I’ve been acknowledging that I need to be surrounded by more experienced lifters in order to help me grow. [/quote]

A huge part of advancing in the gym is listening to your body and learning to maximize your results by being in tune to the needs of your body. I know, personally, I wasn’t able to perform better in the gym until I quit worrying about whether or not I’m going over 30s between sets, if I wrote down the last few reps or not, and especially not until I stopped giving a shit about the stupid things half the people in the gym were doing and or not doing.

If you want to advance, you don’t necessarily need to be surrounded by other great lifters, you need to pull everything out of you and dedicate 100%. Have confidence in yourself, read about training, trial and error, just keep at it and get help from as many sources as you can and you’ll reach your goal.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Man up. Mind your own business and stop watching other people. Creepo

And stop watches are ghey. [/quote]

Noted. But this business with seeing how others train is not a creepy thing. I’m still new to lifting so I’m watching to learn from other people. Like if I see something new I want to know why they’re doing it. I think I’m slowly learning that where I’m training now…the best approach is probably exactly what you said.

Na, youre right I was just messin around. Not about the stop watches though. Theyre just ghey. A clock doesnt know how much time you need to rest every single time. Your body will tell you how much rest it needs between sets. Thats the kind of thing you should be focusing on instead of what other people are doing, for the most part

If you want to workout with people who are hardcore you first need to get better yourself. You may be able to get some advice from them but you can also get similar info on these forums.

If you just want other hardcore lifters around for motivation then watch some youtube videos before your workout. Whatever workout your doing that day you can find videos of people doing it 10x better.

Squats and milk /thread.

Seriously, just keep your head down and the bar up day in day out and eventually someone will come to you wanting to train with you because you’ll be the baddest SOB in the gym. Forget the petty stuff, like others said, and try to be a little better everyday.

I’d keep the log book personally, I like to know where I’ve been and where I’m going, ditch the rest.

Best of luck.