Sometimes I Really like America

And they will lose. Let’s say black people frighten me. Or big SUVs or anything else. rights are rights. you want to be scared, you also have the right, but you’re not going to have the pull to change things.

Zona, another great state. Gotta love that open carry shit!

[quote]tom63 wrote:
And they will lose. Let’s say black people frighten me. Or big SUVs or anything else. rights are rights. you want to be scared, you also have the right, but you’re not going to have the pull to change things.[/quote]

youre right, people who are afraid/anti-gun have a poor track record of getting laws passed in their favor, so much so that there is no debate or controversy over gun laws in the States…

[quote]JPCleary wrote:
I’d be very surprised if that was an assault weapon. It is almost certainly a semi-automatic rifle…no full auto or 3-round burst, and therefore not an assault weapon.

That’s not to say that he couldn’t have an FFL…but I think it is probably just a semi-automatic, civilian AR-15.[/quote]

No matter what he had on him, I’m sure one thing was a tiny little red dot.

[quote]PB-Crawl wrote:
tom63 wrote:
And they will lose. Let’s say black people frighten me. Or big SUVs or anything else. rights are rights. you want to be scared, you also have the right, but you’re not going to have the pull to change things.

youre right, people who are afraid/anti-gun have a poor track record of getting laws passed in their favor, so much so that there is no debate or controversy over gun laws in the States…[/quote]

Bare fear is not a reasonable fear, so these people kind of have a problem with facts. Reminds me of a nervous over protective mom type.

Why would anyone want to carry an automatic rifle on him, on a normal day?

[quote]borrek wrote:

I’m definitely pro-gun, and I don’t support any bans in any sense (maybe except for high explosives), but I have to question the end goal here. The first guy who did it got a lot of press, and he made his point about having the right to carry, but guns have a function that function is not as an accessory. In the end I think if this catches on, we’ll only see some serious backlash by those who are easily frightened.[/quote]

I think you raising the “end goal” is the most important point - more important than any statement about gun-control is the desire to get attention. With the younger generation, the need to get attention trumps all.

That said, I am staunchly pro-gun and am glad to see the open carry rule in practice. But let’s cut the crap - you walk through a political event with an assault rifle strapped to your back, you aren’t carrying it for self-defense or any other practical purpose…you are carrying it so someone will lavish you with attention.

Open-carry laws are not about showbiz. The more we fetishize our liberties, the more we create the danger of the backlash you speak of.

Carrying a firearm around in public, open or concealed, is not a violation of anyone elses rights (freedoms to action). Therefore it should be allowed.

It is only the ACTION of using the firearm to initiate force against someone else (typically to demand their property or force a specific action) that is a violation of individual rights.

[quote]matko5 wrote:
Why would anyone want to carry an automatic rifle on him, on a normal day?[/quote]

It’s not an automatic rifle, it a semi automatic rifle. Big difference. and see the above post, it’s not against the law.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
matko5 wrote:
Why would anyone want to carry an automatic rifle on him, on a normal day?

It’s not an automatic rifle, it a semi automatic rifle. Big difference. and see the above post, it’s not against the law.[/quote]

See the post above that post.

man in beaver pa. was arrested late last year outside of a obama speech. carried a bible and his 9. they arrested his ass,courts found him innocent. judge said while he was innocent,he was guilty of stupidity. pa. is open carry w/o permits, more people should do this to “educate” the police. after a few false arrest suits,they’ll get the hint.

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Good for him, and others who do the same thing. Just the mention of this in the news is great for the people who feel like they are untouchable. Now I’m not suggesting anyone go on a politician popping spree, but if it creeps in thier minds that that is a possibility, they might, just possibly, fuck us a little less hard. POSSIBLY.

V[/quote]

This is getting awfully close to that “blood of tyrants and patriots” shit that the guy was rambling on about to the press outside of an appearance a while back. Come on man, do you honestly think it is appropriate for politicians to work under the threat of physical violence from their constituents? Are you REALLY suggesting that?

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
I think you raising the “end goal” is the most important point - more important than any statement about gun-control is the desire to get attention. With the younger generation, the need to get attention trumps all.

That said, I am staunchly pro-gun and am glad to see the open carry rule in practice. But let’s cut the crap - you walk through a political event with an assault rifle strapped to your back, you aren’t carrying it for self-defense or any other practical purpose…you are carrying it so someone will lavish you with attention.

Open-carry laws are not about showbiz. The more we fetishize our liberties, the more we create the danger of the backlash you speak of.
[/quote]

Bingo. This and my response to Vegita pretty much sum up my feelings on the “demonstrations”. Civil discourse is one thing. It accomplishes things. Shouting and threats of violence accomplish nothing and help to further divide our already highly polarized nation.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
borrek wrote:

I’m definitely pro-gun, and I don’t support any bans in any sense (maybe except for high explosives), but I have to question the end goal here. The first guy who did it got a lot of press, and he made his point about having the right to carry, but guns have a function that function is not as an accessory. In the end I think if this catches on, we’ll only see some serious backlash by those who are easily frightened.

[/quote]

My money says that you’re right in that the guy was looking for attention. I suppose I’m something of a cynic in that regard. But what good is a liberty left unexercised?

I still support the guy’s action. As I see it, the guy was making a political statement that could not have been replicated without the rifle. I can run around all day screaming “Don’t Tread on Me!” and handing out Gadsden flags, but that does not make the message across as clearly as pointing out that we have battle rifles and we’re getting closer to needing them. (though I’d hardly consider an AR anything more than a varmint rifle)The goal is to avoid a general revolt. This isn’t about shutting down civil debate so much as it is a warning that we aren’t going to give up our liberties just because they’re legislated away under this veneer of legitimacy.

mike

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

Bingo. This and my response to Vegita pretty much sum up my feelings on the “demonstrations”. Civil discourse is one thing. It accomplishes things. Shouting and threats of violence accomplish nothing and help to further divide our already highly polarized nation.
[/quote]

Shouting and threats of violence? Every single law that is passed that infringes on my liberty is enforced by threat of violence! Should I simply lick the boots of my masters and remain civil while every new law they pass is enforced by men with guns acting under color of law kicking my door down and taking me away to stick me in a cage? There is nothing civil about the violence done to us by every session of congress.

mike

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]matko5 wrote:
Why would anyone want to carry an automatic rifle on him, on a normal day?[/quote]

Because they can. I’d carry around a gun on me (though probly not a semi-auto clip loader, simply because of weight and awkwardness) if I had one. Just because I can. I have no need of one for safety purposes in my town, but as borrek said, what good is a right left un-exercised?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Vegita wrote:
Good for him, and others who do the same thing. Just the mention of this in the news is great for the people who feel like they are untouchable. Now I’m not suggesting anyone go on a politician popping spree, but if it creeps in thier minds that that is a possibility, they might, just possibly, fuck us a little less hard. POSSIBLY.

V

This is getting awfully close to that “blood of tyrants and patriots” shit that the guy was rambling on about to the press outside of an appearance a while back. Come on man, do you honestly think it is appropriate for politicians to work under the threat of physical violence from their constituents? Are you REALLY suggesting that?

[/quote]

Why in the world do you think there is a second amendment?

So, um, yes, very appropriate.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Come on man, do you honestly think it is appropriate for politicians to work under the threat of physical violence from their constituents?
[/quote]

How else are we going to keep the miserable fuckers in line?

[quote]matko5 wrote:

On a normal day, probably nobody would want to.

This is a Browning automatic rifle. It weighs over 20 pounds fully loaded.