Somethink to think about...

I am still a young little whippersnapper. Being young, however, doesn’t mean I have to make hard-headed, stupid mistakes in my training and life in general. I listen to any and all advice given to me. Although I still have quite a bit to learn, I have sense enough to tell when someone doesn’t know there ass from a deep hole in the ground. I recently met a powerlifter, who also happens to be a strength coach. We had a couple conversations where he repeatedly talked about how most people were so “in the past” on their training. A statement that I agree entirely with. However, when I brought up the idea of placing tri’s first in attempt to pre-exhaust and place some importance he dismissed it and talked as if it were the stupidest thing he had ever heard. He is incredibly successful in his personal lifting endeavors, and said he would like to train me as a bodybuilder. Frustrated with myself and how my training had been coming I agreeded. At the current time I was mimmicking John Berardi’s training. (I am a HUGE fan. Would love to meet him someday) He took a look at my training log and said my problem was that I was doing to same rep ranges on everything. Him being a CSCS with the NSCA, and me being a exercise science/ nutrition major, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He devised me a training program, high volume, lots of sets for core lifts, very high intensity. Workouts are usually around 25-30 sets with some sets going to failure. He ordered me to stay on this for 8 weeks. Which is something I also don’t advocate, I usually use 4 week intervals. He is a really nice guy, but I beleive this program in too high in both volume and intensity. I am doing it in order to set myself up for a good response to some low volume work.

Go with your instincts, you shouldn’t train a certain way just to please a “nice guy”. He may be successful in spite of his training (great genetics etc). What would he think of Ian King training? A recognised authority who advocates some of the training you discussed. The best way to improve is to strengthen your weaknesses. Fine, train a certain way but only because YOU want to and believe it will help.

Personnally for me, i have always found that a low number of sets does jack shit for me…at lest all of the time. I try to go high volume for about 6 weeks take a week off, then got do lower sets for a little, then back on the high number. around the 20-30 set range…

Sorry folks, sent the post before I was finished with it. In closing, I respect this guy as a person. He is older than me and has done well for himself personally. However, I am a bit “iffy” about this program he prescribed for me. Let me have some feedback from you guys. If you want I can’t post the workouts in their entirety if that would help. Train Smart.

I’d go ahead and do the routine he’s prescribed for you. The worst thing that can happen is it won’t work for you and at least you’ll know then that type of training doesn’t work for you…but on the other hand a lot of people really blow up on a routine like that. This guy sounds like he’s got some knowledge so take advantage of that…learn as much as you can.