Something Went While Squatting!

Two days ago, I was squatting and on my 4th rep of 5 I tore something in my left upper leg/ lower abdomen. I had a slight tear in my right groin about 12 years ago that healed with 3 weeks rest. I had a mild bout with patella tendonitis 20 years ago but luckily never had a real injury.

I just happened to be videoing it when it happened and therefor was able to extract the two pictures attached; sorry the pic.s are so grainy. The fist one is just coming out of the hole, the second was exactly when I felt the rip. Thank God for the squat rack!

The feeling at first felt like a hernia, although I never had one. It felt like taking piece of sausage and compressing it until the center ruptured. Not much pain at first but it seemed to be in the inner leg by the pubic bone. I sat down and didn’t move for 10 min. Afterward when I started to move, it bothered me in my lower abdomen and groin area.

The motions that seem to bother it is getting in the car on the drivers side; knee up and in motion. And this one is odd to me but taking off my left shoe when it is still tied and I am standing up, like “kickin’ off your shoes”

I did some naproxen right away and have stayed on it. I also hit it with ice twice a day. It felt ok during my bench today but getting up was a little bothersome.

Any guesses; high groin pull, hernia, sports hernia? Side note: no budge or bruising.

Second pic.

I’ll be healed before I get some Intelligent advice around here!

Sorry bro, I don’t have any idea on this one.

Sounds like you strained your left hip flexor. All of the movements you listed plus the location of the pain indicate left hip flexor strain.

[quote]smallmike wrote:
Sounds like you strained your left hip flexor. All of the movements you listed plus the location of the pain indicate left hip flexor strain.[/quote]

Forgive me if I am wrong but doesn’t the flexors point of origin start above the groin? I will look it to, thanks!

The short hip flexor ((iliacus) lies in the pelvis. If you feel pain with resisted hip flexion or passive hip extension (near end range hip extension), then it is probably a hip flexor problem.

Update:

10 days after my injury I started to bruise half way up on my inner thigh. I know gravity acts on the body and given that amount of time, I really think it was a high groin pull. I’m walking as good as new for the last week; some pain when I get out of bed and not paying attention to my movement.

I realize I’m late to this party. I recently ran across your quad thread in the B/S/F forum where you mentioned that you also had a post in the Injury forum.

Some ideas that might help your cause.

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:
Two days ago, I was squatting and on my 4th rep of 5 I tore something in my left upper leg/ lower abdomen. I had a slight tear in my right groin about 12 years ago that healed with 3 weeks rest. I had a mild bout with patella tendonitis 20 years ago but luckily never had a real injury.
[/quote]

Although the right side injury took place 12 years ago, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if, since that time, your body compensated to reduce re-injury to that sight. What does this mean…? Your left side began to do more than its share…and here we are…injury to that left side. Ironic, isn’t it?

I just happened to be videoing it when it happened and therefor was able to extract the two pictures attached; sorry the pic.s are so grainy. The fist one is just coming out of the hole, the second was exactly when I felt the rip. Thank God for the squat rack!

The feeling at first felt like a hernia, although I never had one. It felt like taking piece of sausage and compressing it until the center ruptured. Not much pain at first but it seemed to be in the inner leg by the pubic bone. I sat down and didn’t move for 10 min. Afterward when I started to move, it bothered me in my lower abdomen and groin area.

The motions that seem to bother it is getting in the car on the drivers side; knee up and in motion. And this one is odd to me but taking off my left shoe when it is still tied and I am standing up, like “kickin’ off your shoes”

I did some naproxen right away and have stayed on it. I also hit it with ice twice a day. It felt ok during my bench today but getting up was a little bothersome.

Any guesses; high groin pull, hernia, sports hernia? Side note: no budge or bruising.[/quote]

The term “groin injury” is right up there with “shoulder injury” or “knee injury” or “lower back injury.” These are too vague and do little more than tell others where the general location of the injury is.

The groin (as most people refer) comprise of the following muscles:

Adductor Magnus

Adductor Longus

Adductor Brevis

Gracilis

Pectineus

There are other muscles which are located in that region (and others would argue help make up the groin region), such as the Obturator Externus. As a guideline when dealing with sports-related injuries, however, the above five are the usual suspects.

(You and most others have never heard of the OE because it’s not one of those glamorous ‘show-time’ muscles. No one - and I mean no one - has ever heard someone at a gym or the beach say, “Holy shit - check out the obturator externus on that guy!”)

Now, I’m not suggesting this is where the injury took place (although we can’t rule it out completely). I am, hopefully, making you aware of a bigger picture.

I do suspect it could be the either the Adductor Magnus/Longus/Brevis or Pectineus. Here is your description which leads me to believe this:

…it seemed to be in the inner leg by the pubic bone…The motions that seem to bother it is getting in the car on the drivers side; knee up and in motion… [/quote]

All four of the muscles I mentioned are involved in concentric flexion and adduction of the femur - the exact motion you described when getting into your car.

And all four of the muscles originate at the pubic region.

The Gracilis, generally speaking, is not involved in flexion of the thigh (it does flex at the knee, such as a leg curl). So, although it also originates at the pubic region, I don’t think that’s where the injury took place.

(The Sartorius is another muscle that fell under the radar, but I doubt that’s where the injury took place.)

Update:

10 days after my injury I started to bruise half way up on my inner thigh. I know gravity acts on the body and given that amount of time, I really think it was a high groin pull. I’m walking as good as new for the last week; some pain when I get out of bed and not paying attention to my movement. [/quote]

This strongly suggests to me that you have either a grade 2 or 3 injury. This could mean up to 9 weeks of healing time. And, let’s face an undeniable truth: at 47, you’re no spring chicken.

I very much doubt that you should get aggressive with the weights at this point. Not just yet.

And even unilateral movements, which would be the knee-jerk reaction, are to be approached with a high degree of caution. The muscles I mentioned are involved in stabilization; so you can end up prolonging the recovery time or making the injury worse.

(I’m a big believer in unilateral movements but everything has its time and place.)

If you want, give an update and we can from go there. Wrong decisions at this point in your life will absolutely flush you back down into the cumulative injury cycle.