T Nation

Something Needs To Change (Losing Gains)

I really need some advice on staying healthy, it seems like every 3-4 months I get ill and I don't mean just a bit of a cold, last time I lost 10lbs of muscle and so far this time I've lost about 12lbs and I'm still ill, so I start making good progress and then I go and lose it.

I hear about people on here saying that they havnt taken more than 3 days off for over 3 years, so what am I doing wrong? Is there a supplement that I should be taking? Some crazy smoothie?

I really need to change something cause I can't put up with losing all my hard earned muscle anymore especially with all of the money that has now been wasted from buying food and supplements?

Thanks in advance

I haven't gotten sick in years, I can't remember the last time honestly. I usually take huge quantities of vitamin C throughout the day, along with a multivitamin and fish-oil of some kind. Once I started eating healthier and building up these supplements in my body, I felt completely different and rarely if ever get sick. I was also horribly sick as a child, so don't think I have good genetics or anything.

I haven't been sick in over 5 yrs, apart from a minor cough and running nose that may last a couple days. If you get sick that often, your immune system may be compromised. Do you get enough sleep?...are you eating healthy?.....It could be alot of things. What did your doctor say?

I haven't been sick in over 5 yrs, apart from a minor cough and running nose that may last a couple days. If you get sick that often, your immune system may be compromised. Do you get enough sleep?...are you eating healthy?.....It could be alot of things. What did your doctor say?

I'd start with basics:
1) enough sleep - do you sleep at least 8 hours every night? If not, you're asking for trouble
2) body temperature - sounds funny, but remember about scarf, hat, keep your feet warm etc
3) vitamin C + vitamin E + zinc combo every morning
4) eat a lot

your avatar is fucking stupid

I take fish oil, flax seed, a multi vitamin, and a half serving of greens++ every day. I also eat tons of veggies, and I have not got sick since.

Also wash your hands often

I used to get sick all of the time and then I realized that it was all allergy related, it really hurt my training because I was always feeling run down. I got on a treatment plan during the spring through the fall months and I have been good every since. So maybe you are having allergys? Check with your Dr and see if that is the case.

Pretty sure that I was getting enough sleep although there is a chance that I wasnt eating enough as I've been training 6 days a week recently so I guess that adds a lot of stress.

Watched a some Ronnie Coleman videos and he used to train 365 days a year and ate no vegetables although he took loads of tablets every morning and night presumably partly to help make up for that?

So what are the essential vitamins I should be taking? vitamin C, fish oil, vitamin E, zinc combo, anything else?

Thanks for the help

I know I'm gonna be sorry I even let this term fall from my fingers and it probably isn't, but this actually sounds like over training.

that's what i was gonna say. when was the last time that you took some time off from the gym?

How is your diet? Are you eating a lot of vegetables? Seriously...a good diet can really boost your immune system although the most important aspect of your immune system is quality of sleep. Do you sleep well consistently? Whey protein has also been shown to have immune boosting functions.

Make sure the basics are in check..

1. Enough Sleep 7+ Hours
  2. Stay hydrated. Drink atleast a gallon a day EVERY day.
  3. A good MV cant hurt.

Last time I took a break before I got ill this time was when I last got ill about 3 months ago I think.

Can someone recommend a good multivitamin that is available in England and one in the states as I'm going to the US next week so I can stock up at GNC or whatever supplement store I see?

I do eat quite a lot of vegetables with my main meal, as it will always be like meat or fish with mainly brocalli and carrots plus salads.

How much are you eating? Calories a day? What are you eating? Eatting mcdonalds 8 times a day?

Why is no one asking the questions that matter?

Ill with what? What were you diagnosed with and what are your symptoms?

No, it is not common to get "ill" that frequently but we still don't know what "ill" means.

Went to the doctors and it turns out that I probably had food poisoning this time although he can't be sure until he gets the results back from the sample I had to give him :frowning:

So that changes things a lot although before this when I get ill the symptoms are usually bad headache, really tired, aching all over and feel really weak and like I said before it seems to be every few months

Then wash your hands before you eat from now on.

This is a bodybuilding forum. Unless you are willing to make the sacrifices to eat enough to fuel any progress in the gym, you may want to try men's health.

Thanks for all the help, looking forward to eating big after hardly eating for almost a week and i'm going to make sure that I keep it up.