Someone Who Can't Afford to Pulse...

Is it better to have 3-4 large protein meals spaced far apart rather than 6-7 smaller ones closer together? Will that be conducive to muscle growth because of the complete depletion and subsequent peaks of amino acids?

Worry about total calories first if you’re not going to be pulsing.

Pulsing is not the be-all, end-all of getting bigger and stronger. If the total protein count is similar, it’s not going to make all that much difference if you have 3 or 7.

I’ve adopted a pulsing system for some time now and trust me it’s not the bodybuilding holy grail. To be honest, I have not pulsed as per strict CT guidelines (using CH). But I have used a quality whey hydrosylate, as well as BCAAs.

IMO, it’s useful during body comp stages where fat loss is the main goal. Assuming all other aspects of nutrition are sound, I’ve found I can employ quite a high workload (heavy sessions, complexes, circuits, cardio, etc) while gaining/maintaining strength despite a low calorie intake.

Yeah, 6 pr 7 meals is optimal, but I only have 4.

If I don’t reach my goals I will certainly not blame how many meals I had. Something else was probably off.

[quote]Nards wrote:

If I don’t reach my goals I will certainly not blame how many meals I had. Something else was probably off.[/quote]

Why do you believe 6 - 7 is optimal?

can someone answer what pulse feeding is?

In my humble opinion eating fewer large high protein meals may actually be more beneficial, at least in terms of protein consumption.

Better to be in a low amino state followed by highs, rather than a constant one. To use a car analogy where gas is protein -it’s better to be on empty right before you refuel rather than putting 10 bucks of gas in every time you drive and maintaining a high volume in the tank.

To gain weight eat snacks every couple hours, but they should be fats and carbs mainly.

[quote]WP wrote:
Nards wrote:

If I don’t reach my goals I will certainly not blame how many meals I had. Something else was probably off.

Why do you believe 6 - 7 is optimal?[/quote]

It seems to be what many people in the exercise indistry say is the best way to feed your muscles so they get what they need when they need it.
But as I said, I don’t do it, as I’m willing to sacrifice some of my awesomeness for the sake of only having to eat 4 meals.

Typically 6-7 meals is considered optimal when someone is consuming a massive amount of food(a bulk). Spreading out this large influx of energy makes it easier to not only consume those calories versus trying to eat three, 2,000 calorie meals as an example, but MAY also help with increasing efficiency of absorption of the nutrients.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
can someone answer what pulse feeding is?[/quote]