T Nation

Someone Else's Snoring

I think I got 4hrs sleep tonight. Partly this is my fault, I did a very hard, brisk leg session late, then went home, ate and crashed. Took me a little while to nod off but I got there.

Then my dad went to bed. At 2:15 I woke up. At 3:15 I decided to just get up and make some food. The noise is ridiculous. It’s like trying to sleep next to a major road.

I can’t believe my mum slept in the same room as him for 15years!

Whatever you do guys, don’t put your family through this. You might not know about it, but believe me, someone is lying awake fantasising about killing you when you snore.

I am so tired now, and have to go to work in about 30mins. What’s the point?

I know that if I ever start snoring, I will do everything I can about it, because I’ve had to live with someone who does it. I honestly hate him right now. Partly because I’m totally exhausted, but also because he’s so selfish to inflict this on others.

Just when you think it’s stopped, and there’s some quiet for a few seconds… it starts up again louder than before!

I live in an apartment and I get woke up alot, it’s either the landscapers mowing the lawn or the garbage truck emptying the dumpsters or just kids screamin’.

I’m a light sleeper and a box fan helps to drown out the background noise.

Jus’ something you might wanna try! ;]

[quote]thrasher wrote:
I live in an apartment and I get woke up alot, it’s either the landscapers mowing the lawn or the garbage truck emptying the dumpsters or just kids screamin’.

I’m a light sleeper and a box fan helps to drown out the background noise.

Jus’ something you might wanna try! ;][/quote]

A fan is a good idea. I use a ceiling fan, standing oscilating fan, keep doors and windows shut, keep the room dark, keep the room cold and take some ZMA before bed.

Try some white noise and when you wake up, force your dad into the doctor’s office to get checked out.

My dad is a HORRIBLE snorer. (I heard him downstairs and across the house through my closed door!) Turns out he has sleep apnea. A C-PAP machine helps him breathe and to the best of my knowledge, the fmaily sleeps well now. (I moved out 10 years ago.)

If he snores that bad, he should get a sleep study done to check for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). The test seems to be relatively cheap as “tests” go, so most insurance will cover it.

Sleep apnea can be potentially very dangerous, so it should be checked out. It can be fixed relatively easily too, with a CPAP (continuous positive air pressure) machine and mask.

He’s an obese, sedentary type 2 diabetic who actively hides junk food so he can eat it when noone’s around.

There’s no way he’s going to get checked out for it. Even if it’s going to kill him, it’s too much bother to ‘see people’ and ‘leave the house’ for him.

Time for me to move out. I only moved back in to save money for the wedding, it’s 4 months away but I don’t think I can take much more of this.

Ear plugs, my roommate snores when he gets into a deep sleep.

I’m in a college dorm room, I could seriously reach out and touch his bed from my bed.

They don’t make it silent or anything but they dull it enough so that I don’t notice it enough to bother me.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
He’s an obese, sedentary type 2 diabetic who actively hides junk food so he can eat it when noone’s around.

There’s no way he’s going to get checked out for it. Even if it’s going to kill him, it’s too much bother to ‘see people’ and ‘leave the house’ for him.

[/quote]

Hijack:

Sounds just like my mother. I stopped going to the emergency room when her heart goes haywire 6 years ago. I’m not wasting my time if she won’t try to improve herself.

I’ve been going to clinicals for the last few weeks. Three weeks in a row, the patient I cared for (all different people) were in for a below knee amputation on their right leg, end-stage renal disease, and chronic heart failure–all due to diabetes. I told my mom about these people last weekend, and she acted like she had no idea why I was mentioning it to her.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Hijack:

Sounds just like my mother. I stopped going to the emergency room when her heart goes haywire 6 years ago. I’m not wasting my time if she won’t try to improve herself.
[/quote]

Same here, except it’s my father who is diabetic, etc. You wanna kill yourself? Go for it. Don’t expect me to be there, though, since you refuse to try to better yourself.

(Clearly the issues and dysfunction run deep in my family!)

Yeah, not being able to sleep appropriately is a big stressor, not good at all.

However, snoring is still one of those things that is difficult to solve. The only thing they can really do is give you a face mask to solve sleep apnea.

Losing weight often helps, but it doesn’t sound like that will work. I’d vote for earplugs or something similar, but you still have to wake up. Sleep in another room or even in a large closet?

I’ve actually used a light on a timer to help me wake up… not that I was wearing earplugs mind you.

I actually have ear plugs from when I was a security guard. Spent a good 30mins last night lying there, wondering where they were.

The fan is a great idea. In fact, it’s the first night in a loooong time that I didn’t sleep with the fan on. It just hit autumn here for real (under 25c now!) so I don’t need it, which probably explains why he was so loud. I’ll just point it towards the ceiling tonight and crank it full blast.

I hear all of you about being disgusted with family members! I’m the same. My grandad died of a heart attack and my dad has ALL of the preindicators for heart disease, yet the most he’ll do is take drugs to control it.

I’ll miss him when he’s gone, but will always wonder why he doesn’t DO something about it now while he’s still alive.

Last night all I wanted to do was march into his room and start punching him in the head till he shut up. Not good!

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Last night all I wanted to do was march into his room and start punching him in the head till he shut up. Not good![/quote]

Slightly sleep deprived, are we? lol!

After a week or two, the sleep deprivation won’t seem so bad. Something about the delirium makes it similar to a mild hallucination once it is ongoing (yes, I’ve carried on extreme deprivation for months at a time. It sucks!)
Slight hijack here: I had to share a room with with 10-11 people in Kosovo. One of our champion snorers was able to sleep deprive people outside of our brick building in ANOTHER brick building. IT was insane. It was like being right at the business end of a straight-piped 450 big block engine. We would beat the guy with with a folding chair, and he’d never wake up but instead hug it while he snored some more. I have no idea how the hell we all functioned during that period in time. Enjoy the snoring guys. Good times

Well, I am a terrible snorer, as is my father and brother. MJ says that me wearing a Breathe Right strip helps a ton. FYI.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
I think I got 4hrs sleep tonight. Partly this is my fault, I did a very hard, brisk leg session late, then went home, ate and crashed. Took me a little while to nod off but I got there.

Then my dad went to bed. At 2:15 I woke up. At 3:15 I decided to just get up and make some food. The noise is ridiculous. It’s like trying to sleep next to a major road.

I can’t believe my mum slept in the same room as him for 15years!

Whatever you do guys, don’t put your family through this. You might not know about it, but believe me, someone is lying awake fantasising about killing you when you snore.

I am so tired now, and have to go to work in about 30mins. What’s the point?

I know that if I ever start snoring, I will do everything I can about it, because I’ve had to live with someone who does it. I honestly hate him right now. Partly because I’m totally exhausted, but also because he’s so selfish to inflict this on others.

Just when you think it’s stopped, and there’s some quiet for a few seconds… it starts up again louder than before! [/quote]

I’d believe that…SXIO is my younger cousin and I remember sleeping there when I was a youngin’, and yes, my uncle snored back then (some 20 years ago) like a steam-train…

I guess a good idea would be to try to get to sleep before him.

Good luck with the weddinmg preparations.

[quote]djoh615893 wrote:
One of our champion snorers was able to sleep deprive people outside of our brick building in ANOTHER brick building. [/quote]

How did you not murder him? Usually I’m a rational person but I need my sleep!

I’m good now though. Crashed from 1-4 in the arvo. Woke up a bit groggy but feel a world better now.

I’m told that I’m a lot more tolerable with a breatheright strip in place.

Heoros Xtreme earplugs from Walgreens are great. They are the blue foam ones. If they’re not enough, wear a set of gun muffs besides. A grenade could go off in your bedroom and you wouldn’t hear it.

Just a little wisdom from my dorm days.