T Nation

Some ?'s On Diet/Training/Cycle

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, 1st time poster who needs some assistance with his (1st) on cycle diet. I’m 24 years old… been lifting since I was 14, and I’m a NASM and AFAA certified personal trainer. I’m beginning a test enanthate cycle (1000mg frontload, with 500mg a week for 10 weeks (12 if I continue to grow)). I’m 5’9 and I shift between 175 and 180 (probably meaning I’m 175 actually). I’m seeking to put on 15-20 pounds. My BF at the moment is around 10-11% (3-site caliper measurment). Unfortunately I’ve got a pain in the ass tendancy to store fat right in the front of my stomach… so it’s incredibly hard to get good definition in my lower abs, even at low BF%.

I’ve got everything about the actual cycle taken care of (gear, arimidex, and nolvadex on hand). My question is about my diet. At the moment, I began a bulking cycle a few months ago… consuming appx 3300 cal/day at a 55-25-20 ratio C/P/F. Only around 2 g protein per Kg bodyweight… I notice that at a caloric surplus, I tend to store BF easier if my protein intake is too high (genetics only allows me a certain rate of protein synthesis). While i’ve been training for awhile, I’m not completely familiar with diet while on juice. I know its appx 25 cal per pound bodyweight, which would put me at almost 4400 cal per day… with I suspect about 2 g protein per pound BW… thats appx 350 g protein. So that means if I’m consuming 4400 cal/day, protein will make up about 30% of my caloric intake. I’m wondering what would be a good percentage for the remaining calories. I’m thinking 50% carbs (550g) and 20% fat (100g)… but I’m open to suggestions.

Likewise… do I taper my diet up to 4400 around the 4th or 5th week of the cycle when the enanthate really kicks in? Or do I start right off the bat with 4400 cals? I obviously dont wanna be packin on too much BF by overeating in the beginning before my body’s rate of protein synthesis and general metabolism is up to speed with my caloric intake.

And also… what type of training split works best for everyone out there? I’ve been going 4-5 times per week, hitting each bodypart at least once a week. Here’s how it looks…

Day 1 - Triceps/shoulders
Day 2 - Biceps/abs
Day 3 - Legs
Day 4 - Chest
Day 5 - Back (includes posterior delts)

Usually doing about 4-5 exercises per bodypart, 3-4 sets each. I’m wondering if I’ll get better results trying to hit each bodypart twice a week, or at least the areas I have problems with (biceps for me in particular). Again I know my recovery time will decrease, And I’m wondering if hitting a bodypart more times will benifit me more, or just let myself rest and stick with once a week. Thanks for the input for anyone who’s still reading this long-winded drivel :wink: .

I wouldnt bother with the front load. Add some prop or d bol in the beginning to jump start things if that is your plan.
Run for the 12 weeks instead of the 10 and start eating now. Bump the calories right off the bat. Your body will melt off some of the fat with very little effort while on.
See Ya

[quote]LillGuy001 wrote:
I wouldnt bother with the front load. Add some prop or d bol in the beginning to jump start things if that is your plan.
Run for the 12 weeks instead of the 10 and start eating now. Bump the calories right off the bat. Your body will melt off some of the fat with very little effort while on.
See Ya[/quote]

I was thinking about D-bol, but it being my first cycle, I think I’m gonna hold off on any other gear, and keep it a test only cycle. Plus I’m waiting for my insurance to pan out with my new job, and I can’t get bloodwork done yet, which definitely means no orals for now (i’m trying to keep my liver in decent shape).

I don’t know If it’s useless to get bloodwork done post-cycle unless you have a comparison for pre-cycle, but I figure it’ll let me know if my LDL levels and natural test levels are within a normal range afterwards. I’ll ixnay on the frontloading for now… but is there a particular reason why so many ppl I see on this board frontload with enanthate?
Thanks for the input my friend.

just to get your levels up quicker, its usually based on the length of the cycle, the shorter it is ,the more beneficial a frontload could be. 10+ week cycles i dont think a frontload is needed. good luck

DezZ

also, another quick question… I can’t seem to find the answer through the search, so at the risk of re-treading old ground, I’ll ask it…

What’s the maximum amount of test I should inject? If I’m doing 500mg per week, should I do it all once/week, or split it up into 250mg twice/week? Thanks for the info everyone.

Split it into 2 doses a week, keeps your levels more steady.

You’re greatly overtraining by doing 4-5 exercises and 3-4 sets per exercise even if you are on test.

Gradually increase your caloric intake not just one big jump and your body will be better able use them for lean mass instead of blubber. You didn’t walk into the gym your first day and squat 600 lbs. You have to work up to it and the same goes for nutrients.

Some guys on here don’t like frontloading for a sudden rapid rise in SHBG and estrogen levels but I’ve always felt it’s beneficial.

Just my opinions.

[quote]E-man wrote:
You’re greatly overtraining by doing 4-5 exercises and 3-4 sets per exercise even if you are on test.

Gradually increase your caloric intake not just one big jump and your body will be better able use them for lean mass instead of blubber. You didn’t walk into the gym your first day and squat 600 lbs. You have to work up to it and the same goes for nutrients.

Some guys on here don’t like frontloading for a sudden rapid rise in SHBG and estrogen levels but I’ve always felt it’s beneficial.

Just my opinions.[/quote]

I figured it was probably gonna be this… a gradual increase in calories… although im curious as to why you think i’m overtraining… what would you recommend instead?

4-5 excercises and 3-4 sets per excercise is just too many. Overtraining is the root of all evil.
The test will allow you to do slightly more work. But with that kind of volume you will likley be overtraining.

For example rather than doing that many sets on a chest day, do fewer sets and excercises but instead of working chest every 8 days or so… work it every 5-6 days.
See Ya

[quote]E-man wrote:

Just my opinions.[/quote]

With all due respect, I disagree on the overtraining comment. It depends on the person. I have been training for years using one body part per day, lifting heavy, with very good results. My workout is very similar to his.

It just depends on the person.

JW

[quote]LillGuy001 wrote:
4-5 excercises and 3-4 sets per excercise is just too many. Overtraining is the root of all evil.
The test will allow you to do slightly more work. But with that kind of volume you will likley be overtraining.

For example rather than doing that many sets on a chest day, do fewer sets and excercises but instead of working chest every 8 days or so… work it every 5-6 days.
See Ya[/quote]

Hmm… well here’s what I’m doing now in more detail…

At this point I’m usually doing 20 sets for back (including posterior delts), 20 sets for chest, 16 for biceps, 12 for triceps, and 16 for shoulders. My Leg day will usually be two different compound exercises @ 4 sets a piece for quads and glutes (I usually go between hack squats, leg press, and lunges…Regular squats I tend to avoid cause I just feel them to much in my back no matter how good my form is) two exercises @ 3 sets a piece for hamstrings, one or two exercises at 4 sets a piece for calves… and then a “pot luck” exercise that I vary for either my adductors, abductors, or glutes. Deadlifts are usually done on my Ab day. Each bodypart is hit once per week or once per 8 days. Does this sound like too much? What do some of your routines look like that you think might be more beneficial?