T Nation

Some Revisions

These entries will record how I (48 yrs, 185 cm, 90 kgs) am incorporating some of What I Did on My Summer Vacation into a revision of my earlier Lunch-hour Log, starting with the weights down pretty much across the board as I work on new form in squats (low down), bench press (wider grip) and deadlift (better set-up and floor break). After six weeks I plan on checking my maxes.

Monday, 1 September 2008

Squat
2 x 60 x 12, 1 x 100 x 8, 3 x 117.5 x 5 reps
Leg curl
2 x 75 x 6,5 reps
Ab wheel
2 x 10 reps (standing)
Weighted incline crunch
2 x 10 kgs x 7,6 reps

Two warm-up sets cleaned and squatted while waiting for the squat cage rack, which I am not working in anyway because the saftety bars are too high for how I am squatting now. I don’t like having to take the extra steps to get out but it is not much weight. Putting my towel in front of the mirror takes the reflection out of the feedback picture.

Though having gotten up on my feet with the ab wheel, I am still using the wall as a limit as I increase extension. The crunches then make a satisfying complement to the wheel work that seems to go way deep down yonder in the belly.

[quote]1Geech wrote:
These entries will record how I (48 yrs, 185 cm, 90 kgs) am incorporating some of What I Did on My Summer Vacation into a revision of my earlier Lunch-hour Log, starting with the weights down pretty much across the board as I work on new form in squats (low down), bench press (wider grip) and deadlift (better set-up and floor break). After six weeks I plan on checking my maxes.

Monday, 1 September 2008

Squat
2 x 60 x 12, 1 x 100 x 8, 3 x 117.5 x 5 reps
Leg curl
2 x 75 x 6,5 reps
Ab wheel
2 x 10 reps (standing)
Weighted incline crunch
2 x 10 kgs x 7,6 reps

Two warm-up sets cleaned and squatted while waiting for the squat cage rack, which I am not working in anyway because the saftety bars are too high for how I am squatting now. I don’t like having to take the extra steps to get out but it is not much weight. Putting my towel in front of the mirror takes the reflection out of the feedback picture.

Though having gotten up on my feet with the ab wheel, I am still using the wall as a limit as I increase extension. The crunches then make a satisfying complement to the wheel work that seems to go way deep down yonder in the belly.

[/quote]

All-right Geech! Lookin’ strong. Did you finish the squats as back squats or front squats?

Thanks, Soldog. Did 'em as back squats.

He’s back! New and improved!

Good idea on the putting the towel in front of the mirror. I’m going to borrow that one. My gym has mirrors behind the squat racks and because I’m so damn pretty I can’t stop watching myself…

Good starter session. I salute you on the ab wheel masochism. Those are nasty good.

Verily, the wheel of pain turns into the wheel of core delight.

Tuesday, 2 September 2008

Bench press
70 x 12, 100 x 7, 2 x 105 x 5 reps
Weighted dip
2 x BW + 25 x 6 reps
Weighted chin-up
4 x BW + 10 x 6,5,5,4 reps
Weighted neck extension
3 sets x 22 kgs x 20,14,12 reps

Took some extra time today. We have changed office locations at work, so except on squat days I am going to a different branch of my gym chain. Don’t like the skinny benches they have for BP, it’s a little harder to set up solid. As noted above, I have reset my grip to pretty wide to try to get more chest in the press.

The new location is another ten minutes by foot from home (I only take the metro when it rains heavily), so with that and an extra five minutes to the one gym branch and an extra ten to the other on squat days I am getting in more GPP – nothing, of course, compared to those who are on their feet all day at work, but I notice an increased calorie demand.

You and those kgs. Glad to see you back. Looking stronger then ever.

1Geech – Let us know how that changes things up after a couple three weeks.

Thanks, Eco and E: trying to get stronger than ever, long row to hoe.

Wednesday, 3 September 2008

Stair jump (ascending)
3 steps x 19 (+ various 1 and 2 steps), 2 x 4 steps x 10 reps (+ various 1, 2 and 3 steps)
Seated straight-back cable row
4 x various x 6-20 reps
Press
1 x 50 x 8 reps, 2 x 60 x 5 reps (first rep cleaned)

Stairs (five flights of different lengths with three landings in the back stairwell of this gym) are 7 inches high and 10 inches wide, so that makes the 3-step jump a 21-inch high jump and 30-inch broad jump, and the 4-step jump a 28-inch high jump and 40-inch broad jump of sorts.

They seem too narrow to do safely descending, or mostly even on ascent without resetting, so that is the extent of my plyometric work for now. But it does make for a nice change, if I continue to manage not to knock my teeth out.

As there are insufficient DBs available, I have opted to substitute the cable rows for BB rows for a while (felt I was getting stale with the latter), and during this time have shelved the power cleans in favor of the more direct back work. Also chose the straight-back version since I’ll be DLing every week and pull-throughing every other (I’ve got a plan …) .

Your heart rate must have been sky high doing the steps. Nice addition to the workout.

I’m curious what ab wheel work translates to in strength and improvement. I’ve got one and need to start using it again. When I was a lot younger I could just run reps on an ab wheel and it felt like a warm up. Now …

But stairs going up are great. Going down can be bad for the knees.

Don’t know if I can satisfy that curiousity, E: I am still learning to work the wheel best myself. But my feeling when using it concurs with what I have read about its contribution to core stability, and that means anchoring the internal platform that pretty much all the lifts are based on. No squatting, deadlifting or pressing heavy if your trunk is not rock solid in place.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Your heart rate must have been sky high doing the steps. Nice addition to the workout.[/quote]

Thanks, Eco. Actually not a big deal cardiologically, eco: only legs and glutes a bit weary.

[quote]Elaikases wrote:

But stairs going up are great. Going down can be bad for the knees.[/quote]

Never lock your legs. Keep the legs slightly bent at all times. Don’t land flat footed or on your heels. I go up/down 300 plus sets of steps a work day on my mail route. Added to over 200 jumps and countless repels in the military over the years and have never even had a twinge in my knees.

Nice work Geech, glad to see your log again.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
You and those kgs. Glad to see you back. Looking stronger then ever.[/quote]

You yanks and your lb’s!! :slight_smile:
Stay strong Geech, we will convert them to the metric system eventually!

[quote]1Geech wrote:
Thanks, Eco and E: trying to get stronger than ever, long row to hoe.

Wednesday, 3 September 2008

Stair jump (ascending)
3 steps x 19 (+ various 1 and 2 steps), 2 x 4 steps x 10 reps (+ various 1, 2 and 3 steps)
Seated straight-back cable row
4 x various x 6-20 reps
Press
1 x 50 x 8 reps, 2 x 60 x 5 reps (first rep cleaned)

Stairs (five flights of different lengths with three landings in the back stairwell of this gym) are 7 inches high and 10 inches wide, so that makes the 3-step jump a 21-inch high jump and 30-inch broad jump, and the 4-step jump a 28-inch high jump and 40-inch broad jump of sorts.

They seem too narrow to do safely descending, or mostly even on ascent without resetting, so that is the extent of my plyometric work for now. But it does make for a nice change, if I continue to manage not to knock my teeth out.

As there are insufficient DBs available, I have opted to substitute the cable rows for BB rows for a while (felt I was getting stale with the latter), and during this time have shelved the power cleans in favor of the more direct back work. Also chose the straight-back version since I’ll be DLing every week and pull-throughing every other (I’ve got a plan …) .
[/quote]

Stairs climbs are evil, they do however work wonders for your conditioning, glad it’s you and not me.

Burnesy, all my weights have been in kgs.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Burnesy, all my weights have been in kgs.[/quote]

Too funny eco. Yeah - Yeah that’s right all of our wieghts have been in kgs… uhoh I weight 180 kg?

[quote]soldog wrote:
ecogenx wrote:
Burnesy, all my weights have been in kgs.

Too funny eco. Yeah - Yeah that’s right all of our wieghts have been in kgs… uhoh I weight 180 kg?[/quote]

Is that k[e]gs?

Thursday, 4 September 2008

Squat
12 x 80 x 2 reps (speed, 1 min. pause)
Lunge
BW x 20, BW + 12 x 15, BW + 20 x 12 reps
Hanging straight leg raise
1 set x 7 reps
Standing cable crunch
2 sets (12-20 reps)

I like this fellow�??s actual demonstration of the hanging straight leg raise (once you get past the long intro), and am trying to control the eccentric movement better: