T Nation

Some Pointers on My Workout

Hello i am new to the forum and have been browsing it the last couple of days, with some excellent threads that helped me already. I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers. I work out alone so their for do not have a spotter.

Supplement.- L-Glutamine, NO Exploded (only on training days), Creatine, and Whey Protein. Simple and yet hit what i feel are the mandatory supplements.

Workout-

Monday - Bi's and Tri's
Close Grip Bench - 135x 15, 155x10, 165x9, 185x6
(These were on the smith machine which i have done away with. Great thread i read on it.)

Dips (weighted)- 25 lbs x 8, 7, 7, 7

Machine Triceps Pullovers I call them i think they are called extensions with rope. 80x15, 100x12, 110x7, 110x6.

My Fourth exercise is usually a elective. I may do Skull Crushers, Push Downs, Kick Backs, Seated Dips, Ect...

Tuesday- Off i get my child

Wednesday- Chest and Legs
I was doing bench on smith machine do to lack of partner and i read it promotes deep muscle twitch or some shit. Sorry of my lack of terms. But i did stop doing smith or am stopping i should say..

Smith Flat- 195x7, 205x4, 210x3, 215x2, 225x2 (Mainly was testing my limits. Usually shoot for 6 - 8 reps 80max.)

Incline Bench DB or BB for six to eight reps or till failure/4 sets.

Fly's or Cross overs- i just read a article bashing them though well the cross overs so i may replace them. I like how they stretch out my chest though. I usually to 8-10 reps for 3 sets.

I tend to mix up chest a lot, i may throw in some dips or use
DB's or a different exercise. Usually keep it to 12 sets total.

Legs- Squat 185x12, 225x10, 275x6, 275x6 ( Only second week back into legs)
Calf Raise- 45x15, 90x15, 115x10, 115x13
Leg Press Machine- 200x10, 250x10, 260x8 280x4
Leg Curls- 60x20, 100x12, 140x9
Leg Extensions- 80x10,100x9,40 slow till failure with 2 negatives.

Thursday- Back and Shoulders
DB Side Late 20x12, 30x8, 30x8, 35x8
Reverse Fly 40x8, 25x9, 25x12, 30x8 (didn't like the movement this week some shoulder pain.)
Arnold Press- 40x11, 45x7, 45x7, 50x 4
Shrugs- 125x12, 225x10, 225x12, 185x12, 185x12

Back-
Pull Downs SS(Super Set) 100x15, 120x10, 130x7, 130x5,
Bent Rows BB(SS)- 90x10, 110x10, 110x 9, 125x7
Hammer Pull Down(SS)- 100x 10, 110x10, 120x8, 120x7
One Armed Row DB- 45x10, 50x8, 50x8 Strict Movement
Dead Lifts- 125x12, 185x8, 185x5 (Very Light Weight i use to do 4 plates last year but i have thrown out my back with bad technique so trying to keep it light for a few weeks.) This is only my fourth week back took about a year off. Looking for some pointers.

I am alternating workouts a lot that's why you see a lot of 10's their or that's where i went up from last week. I General stick with 12 reps for each muscle group. I Tend to mix up week to week to keep my muscles guessing. Sometimes ill do chest with shoulders or back and bi's ect...

Thanks for reading threw the boring post and any tips would be appreciated. I weight 175 and im 5'10. I have been drinking one gallon of water a day followed by 2-3 shakes with a decently healthy diet. Going to start keep notes on my diet next week.

Bump please.

YOU SAID KICKBACKS. Did you know they are for girls, so that when they do them I can stare at their ass. How about some two handed heavy dumbbell extensions instead just to sound you know manly and shit.

What are your goals? Short term and long.

What do you eat?

Some general notes:

Never buy NO explode again. It's shit. All you need is:

fish oil [liquid pref, or Flameout is pretty dope]
whey
creatine [too cheap not to]
BCAA's [get the powder cheap and mix with whey and other drinks]

Dont drink so much extra water. your kidneys really hate that shit. Top up with a few glasses in the am and then drink as necessary. You end up flushing out a lot of the salts that your body needs. If you are OCD compelled to drink heaps then get some rehydrating solution in there to keep slats up.

Depending on your goals I'm not sure you need as many lifts as you are doing. I would suggest to focus more on a few solid lifts and try to really make progress by weight.

If you are concerned about having no spotter on bench press then do:

Floor press
DB bench
Bench press in a power rack

good luck mate,

-chris

What are your goals? Short term and long.

What do you eat?

Some general notes:

Never buy NO explode again. It's shit. All you need is:

fish oil [liquid pref, or flamout is pretty dope]
whey
creatine [too cheap not to]
BCAA's [get the powder cheap and mix with whey and other drinks]

Dont drink so much extra water. your kidneys really hate that shit. Top up with a few glasses in the am and then drink as necessary. You end up flushing out a lot of the salts that your body needs. If you are OCD compelled to drink heaps then get some rehydrating solution in there to keep slats up.

D

I hardly ever do kick backs lol i just threw it in their. DB Extensions tend to really hurt my shoulder and my elbow along with skull crushers.

I got it on sale for like $30 bucks or something it gives me a nice little kick. Kinda like having a partner there pushing me. I know its just the massive amount of caffeine but i have noticed some gains while using it. As for the water thing. Im confused i read a lot of people saying drink ton's of water to keep all the muscles hydrated at least 1 gallon a day. Never really took fish oil ill look into it.

I would like to be able to do 225x8 for three sets, then lean up from their. I don't want a huge look, more of a athletic little bulky look. I now weight 175 i would like to be around 185 and drop my body fat % down to about 15%

So you think im over training? I always have done around 9-12 sets for each muscle group and if i dont get sore the next day or couple of days after i feel like i didn't train hard enough.

Lifts look pretty decent for a beginner. Personally, I would avoid smith machines... worst comes to worst, ask somebody in the gym for a spot (I've never been turned down). Also, I like to mix up exercises to sort of "shock" my muscles. I rarely do the same routine on a particular day. The best advice I've ever gotten in the gym is to lift unless you feel sore.

Are you trying to bulk?

-CJE

Man I am all for stimulants pre workout especially if you got to work all day and lift in the pm, yeah but you are paying for caffeinated koolaid but if you got it cheap fuck it. I guarantee everyone uses a stim boost of some kind. Even ice coffee is good but I like pills the best.

Man I am all for stimulants pre workout especially if you got to work all day and lift in the pm, yeah but you are paying for caffeinated koolaid but if you got it cheap fuck it. I guarantee everyone uses a stim boost of some kind. Even ice coffee is good but I like pills the best.

you're right. I'm a big fan of a Spike tab or couple rodiohla's. But that NO explode shit is just straight retarded. Caffeine pills cost a handshake and the sugar is likely stalling fat loss.

-chris

Drinking a gallon of just water with no compensatory salts is just a great way to dehydrate yourself. especially if you drink it in large bottles at a time instead of sips/mouthfuls. Drink when you need to. Your body gets water from all sorts of sources. To get water into your tissue involves many more factors than just water. you need a certain balance on amino acids, minerals and water. So just eat well and drink as much water as you feel like.

You want to do 225x8x3 on what lift? bench? Thats ok. But i mean that can come fairly easy after a few weeks of focus. Feel free to set loftier goals. If your serious and willing to put some effort in you can come back with a lot more. At your height to look "athletic" you'll need more than 157lbs of muscle [185lbs @ 15%bf = 157lbs lean mass]. I would work on building muscle AND losing fat [that's right, at the same time] for the next year and then reset the goals. If you eat using Berardi's 7 habits, lift hard and do some intervals every week you'll gain muscle and lose fat to grand results.

And i dont think you're over training at all. I just think that you have a bunch of lifts in there that are not really worth doing at this point. I think that you would be best to put most of your gym time into:

Squat variation
single leg squat variation
bench/bench variant
Dip/Dip variant
Deadlift
Row/horizontal pull variation
Overhead press
chin up/variants

You can still section them up in bodypart groups if you like but i dont think you are getting the most out of the machine based assistance lifts you are doing now. If you puts extra sets into bench then you will progress faster in both weight/strength and size.

-chris

I am trying to bulk and loose fat at the same time. I keep a pretty balanced diet. Although, i am not to strict to any certain diet. Kinda of hard do to my finical situation. I mainly eat every 2-3 hours in small portions to keep my metabolism up. I drink 2 - 3 protein shakes a day. Usually eat couple egg whites and a tuna sandwich in the mourning and eat through out the day. I really need to buckle down and set up a diet plan. Yes i usually do not do the exact same exercises every week. Besides maybe Flat Bench. Theirs a number of exercises that really cause shoulder pain from when i broke my collar bone so it will grind back on some exercises is why i use the machine for some exercises.

I usually do not drink large quantities at a time. I usually just carry around a gallon jug with me all day at work and drink that. Since i work 830 am to 730pm so i usually can't get to workout till about 8pm. I spend around a hour or hour and a half lifting and 10 to 15 mins doing some sort of cardio. So your basically saying stick to the basic movements. How many reps would you recommend then 8 to 10? I have been lifting on and off for about 4 years. Something always ends up happening where i have to stop. But before i ended up gaining a ton of fat with muscle and im trying to prevent that this time. What other supplements would you recommend that are fairly cheap? Like i said before i am taking GNC whey protein, L-Glutamine ( i have seen many people bash this, but have read a lot of great articles on this), No Exploded and no i wont buy anymore after this tub is done i do love the pump i get on it and the energy but just way to expensive need to find a cheap alternative plus it keeps me up all night. and creatine. I know you said something about fish oil.

So should i be upping my carbs and calories then? I am finding it really hard to consume my body weight in protein due to my budget. I general consume at least 100 grams a day.

Im kinda going for a vin desal kinda look. Ya figure ill get flamed on that. Just for the kind of idea of what i am looking for.

What do you recommend for BCAA and Fish oil. I usually shop at GNC since its really the only thing i got in this small town.
This doesn't seem to bad www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3214438

and the only thing i can find for fish oil is soft gel capsules.

Do you recommend any certain training program to use?

Thanks for the great replies.

I'd vary the reps between 5 and 10. Keep the sets up, above 4 to about 6.

And if you are a bit of a fatty then cut out carbohyrates during the week. Eat really low carb on the weekdays and then have a small, healthy [beans, rice oats] carb up on a weekend day when you train legs. But on the weekdays and the other weekend day keep the carbs low. You will still get stronger and bigger, but you will lose fat far faster while getting stronger and bigger.

so on the weekdays eat meat, eggs, veggies [green ones that are hard to chew] and other cheap source of protein. Getting cheap protein is as easy as going and buying ground beef. doesn't have to be the lean stuff. just the regular stuff. The fats in it will help you get energy/strength and lose fat. The ground beef and veggie diet is a cheap one. if you need about 200g/day then that means you consume about 1.5lbs of ground beef and two 40g protein drinks per day. should amount to less than $10/day with some cheap veggies.

As far as fishoil and BCAA's go. get the fishoil and scratch the BCAA's till you got more cash handy. The fish oil can be got on the internet either here at T-Nation for some good caps [free shipping] and get some liquid oil on wholesalesupplementstore.com

So eat up and train when you can. If you have issues sleeping maybe you should schedule some training early in the morning so you can get to bed early that night.

-chris

no need for GNC when you have the internet. And you live in the USA where the shipping is free and the first lady is actually moderately attractive.

-chris

I am with Avacado I think you will see great improvement if you can manage a schedule change. Since you don't have to be to work till 830 most gyms are open real early for the am people. You need to make sure you get to sleep early though or it will all be for nill.

We dont have to many gyms around here mainly the YMCA where i get a cheap discount for being a student. Like 15 bucks a month. Although i believe they are open at 6. I think they are switching to summer hours though and then they open at 8am. Ill have to check into it. But thanks for the advice. I usually have a hard time getting up that early to lift, I move furniture all day long and my muscle will really be fatigued and might cause problems at the job. I work for Rent A Center.

If they switch to opening at 8am tell them they suck, from me.

You really should invest in morning training. I am positive that you will be fine for work after training. If you really are fatigued and your diet is not picking up the slack then switch the program slightly.

lower the reps and up the weight. that keeps any soreness at bay.

-chris