Some People are Full of Crap

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
i find that problem is a lot more apparent on these boards then in my gym[/quote]

QFT

[quote]acelement wrote:
Nothing angers me more than seeing people half-ass squats. And EVERYONE half-asses it at my college gym. Yesterday this kid was in the gym and told his partner “Yeah I did 285 for 8” I saw him do all quarter squats…and his partner said

“I should have been watching you – that’s bullshit.”

It was nice to hear someone get called out for that shit.[/quote]

hah! yah my buddy told me the other day

“Man I had my best squat workout when nobody was watching, I did 405x5”

I was like “yah man me too! When nobody is watching I do 700x5!”

Shut his lyin ass up!

[quote]Kassad wrote:
I’m also a big fan of the guys whose spotters are getting more of a workout than they are. [/quote]

HAHA, yea… some guy asked me to spot him the other day doin db shoulder presses and was like “got 7 last time, goin for 8”… did the entire 8 reps with me spotting him and probably working my shoulders and arms more than he was… hilarious…

Get these guys to train with you and dent their ego. Actually, I’ve recently been doing 10x10 german volume training with 3/4 secs eccentric and 2 concentric - the biggest ego killer available in terms of poundage when in the past I’ve done a much less controlled rep tempo.

my best mate is one of the biggest BS ive ever met, I mean ud think hed be honest with me

everytime i set a pb, he’ll be like, i was doin 250 for 6 before i got injured (he actually did get injured pretty bad so hasnt trained for months).

Last time he said “how much u benchin” I told him, but also said id increased my reps from 5 to 10, which is why the weight wasnt as impressive as last time.

Then he was like, man i did 260 for 12 before i got injured.

such a fkin BS’r his previous lifts go up every time i talk to him, plus he did em on a smith machine and Im pretty sure he counts the bar as 45lbs

it really bothers me that most of my friends would bullshit to my face. they always start the conversation, i truthfully reply whatever lift they asked, then they bullshit to my face. so much for trying to find a training partner among my friends.

One thing i’ve noticed at the gym, is that guys of the same size usually lift exactly the same weight (until you get to very experienced levels)

For example, most guys at the gym who around 18-20 years old, and weigh 160-175lbs use around the same weights (depending on how lean they are)

From what i’ve seen, guys that size usually squat around 225-270(if they even do legs). The leaner ones of that size usually squat 315+

DB bench about 35 - 42.5kg, DB shoulder press around 27.5 - 30kg, curl around 40kg and barbell bench around 200lbs

I’ve never really seen any of them deadlift or do serious back training.

So unless someone has been training for 10+ years and has maintained a weight of 170ish lbs, I don’t really believe guys who are 170 and say they bench 315+ etc.

I myself weigh a 180-185, i’m not super lean, but not fat but any means, I squat 370ish lbs, bench 265lbs, deadlift 370-380 (very bad grip strength).

So I can say my strength is pretty average for my size, and when I was 170 I did the same weight as everyone else my size.

My training partner is 170 though, does the same weights as me, but he’s 3 inches shorter.

So I definitely believe there is a ratio of how much muscle you have and how strong you are.

Now, unless the guys who are 160-180 are elite athletes, when they say they put up these ridiculous numbers, they are generally full of shit - unless they are like 5’4".

you know what i could care less what i lift. I’m a bodybuilder not a power lifter and this is a bodybuilding forum. The weight is just a tool to get your body where you want it. I caught myself getting hung up in how much weight i could lift then i checked my EGO and started lowering the weights and focusing on making mind to muscle connections and that is when i started to add size.

In this pic i was 208lbs and 10% bf. It was taken last Sept. at the Olympia in Vegas. Now I’m 235lbs and still 10% bf and its because the PUMP! Making the mind to muscle connection.

there is this guy at the gym i am at now, who does partials for everything. like everything.

bench press, incline press, chinups, ez bar curls, rear laterals, smith squats, seated calf. all 2 inches or less range of motion. the smith squats are the funniest, he loads up the bar, then moves it up, and then back onto the same place it was racked.

he also doesn’t use more than one 45 plate. so its 1 45 plate on each side, then a whole bunch of 25’s and then maybe a 35. looks hilarious.

but yeah, watching him hold himself up in the chinups grunting and sweating as he is rocking himself back and forth is pretty amazing.

some guy came up to me yesterday and told me he has been using the same exact weights for the last 5 YEARS.

ok im done with my rant

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Westclock wrote:
I saw two guys with emo hair cuts at the age of 18+ and very limited body mass “incline benching” 225.

with a spotter, they were literally going about an inch, maybe less.

At first I thought they were doing some sort of strange “static hold”, although stupid it would at least make some sense.

But then I realized there was ever so slight movement of the elbows.

I was standing there watching trying to figure out what they were doing, and then started laughing. They saw me and kinda shifted around like someone had caught them masturbating to a K-mart Ad.

It was awkward, and I proceeded to saunter off as I had finished squatting and was duck walking about.

haha kids these days. Man there is a guy like that at my gym, he has some serious issues. Everytime I am in the gym he always gets right next to me, does the same exercises, grabs the same weight, and barely moves it, then tries to stare me down.

idk what’s up with these people.
[/quote]

Tell him that if he doesn’t go away you’ll eat him.

I never get in how much ya bench conversations in real life. But I’m amazed at how many people do very limited ROM these days…and they ain’t working on sticking points. On the other hand, I don’t think size and strength are as related as most of the board does.

I agree that big guys are generally strong…but I’ve seen not big at all guys that are very strong. Back in the day I lifted at the same gym as a couple of guys that got IFBB pro cards…and there were many guys in the gym stronger then they were…some a good bit smaller.

I don’t give a fuck how much someone else lifts. What matters is that I’m growing bigger with getting stronger being inevitable.

To busy worried about what they lift and not worried enough about what they look like in the mirror. I experience this myself all the time talking to people. Said person is half as big as me, can lift twice as much weight as me. I see them in the gym sometime later and indeed… they are lifting twice as much weight as me. But not exactly doing what I would consider reps.

Lets not forget the 5 to 7 minutes or rest they take to talk to their friends and look at girls in between sets.

[quote]Captain Zero wrote:
People always lie about their lifts,

Ex: Its when a little sh%t head sees me doing olympic squats (ass to floor) w/ 405 for reps and says", is that all you can do?

“I can do 495 for reps, easy”

yeah right " slightly bending the knee is not a squat combined with all the shaking and trembling while performing a b.s. rep.

I will post pics to prove I am better than the internet trash who lies about their numbers and physique.

Amen.[/quote]

I have a hard time believing that anybody would come up and shit talk somebody squatting 405 ass to grass, in any gym I have ever lifted in, including college recs, which house highest level of dumbfuckery, the guys putting those numbers up get nothing but respect.

inb4 everybody in T-Nation posts on how they hate people lieing about their numbers, OHH THE IRONY I LOVE IT

this is kinda off topic, dont mean to change the current convo… but i just came accross this today and realized its a common reoccurance. Don’t know if they already have a name but i decided to call them the supplement buyers… i have so many friends who get all jacked up thinkin they r gonna get huge and start talkin about “man, this summer im gonna look like an animal” then they go out and buy almost every fuckin supplement on the market and spend like 5 hours a day researching every latest fuckin bullshit someone is selling online… they spend so much time doin all this research and never actually even go to the gym!!! then they give u advice on what you should be doing… lol…sorry, just had to vent…

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
this is kinda off topic, dont mean to change the current convo… but i just came accross this today and realized its a common reoccurance. Don’t know if they already have a name but i decided to call them the supplement buyers… i have so many friends who get all jacked up thinkin they r gonna get huge and start talkin about “man, this summer im gonna look like an animal” then they go out and buy almost every fuckin supplement on the market and spend like 5 hours a day researching every latest fuckin bullshit someone is selling online… they spend so much time doin all this research and never actually even go to the gym!!! then they give u advice on what you should be doing… lol…sorry, just had to vent… [/quote]

haha a buddy of mine is on the football team here, he’s average build I’d say. Comes up to me and says “Dude over spring break I got on some (Insert random BS protein/creatine powder, can’t remember the name) and I got fucking jacked! I had veins popping out all in my neck and everything, just wait till next year, you won’t even recognize me!”

Poor kid.

[quote]optheta wrote:
inb4 everybody in T-Nation posts on how they hate people lieing about their numbers, OHH THE IRONY I LOVE IT[/quote]

inb4 everyone tells this kid that already happened