T Nation

Some People are Full of Crap

Dunno if any of you guys ever experience this, but i hear a lot of talk about amount of weight, reps etc. then when i actually get them at the gym i realize they are full of shit… i dunno y someone would lie about bein able to put up more weight, u just look like a total douche in the long run…

i used to think i was weak as shit, hearing all these skinny guys talkin about how much they bench for how many reps… i hardly beleive any of it anymore unless they actually got some size to back it up…

We experience this phenomenon every day on these Forums.

Internet lifts are generally bullshit unless backed by video.

Dont worry about it. There is always somebody stronger than you. I dont give a shit what I lift weight wise… as long as it is heavier than last week!

[quote]Beerguy wrote:
Dont worry about it. There is always somebody stronger than you. I dont give a shit what I lift weight wise… as long as it is heavier than last week!
[/quote]

word… it drives me crazy though when i don’t get that one more rep or add a bit more weight and do the same reps… the worst is when u don’t even do as much as last week… shit, that has me thinking about it all freakin week!! lol

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
Beerguy wrote:

word… it drives me crazy though when i don’t get that one more rep or add a bit more weight and do the same reps… the worst is when u don’t even do as much as last week… shit, that has me thinking about it all freakin week!! lol
[/quote]

That is good because if you did not feel that way this would be the wrong sport for you! I think most of the guys in my gym would be better off if the went ahead and switched to knitting class. How do you lift and not sweat?

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
Dunno if any of you guys ever experience this, but i hear a lot of talk about amount of weight, reps etc. then when i actually get them at the gym i realize they are full of shit… i dunno y someone would lie about bein able to put up more weight, u just look like a total douche in the long run…

i used to think i was weak as shit, hearing all these skinny guys talkin about how much they bench for how many reps… i hardly beleive any of it anymore unless they actually got some size to back it up…[/quote]

youre just figuring this out?

you know how many people 1/4 squat and quarter bench and think that its legit? id seriously say 9/10 gym rats either dont bring the bar all the way down or use a ton of bounce

considering most gym rats dont even squat, you find the ones who do and maybe like 2% of them squat to anything close to parallel. - i saw a gym trainer teaching someone to squat last night and it was horrible. A) he kept telling the guy where to put his knees like directly infront of him which isnt possible for everyone and B) he was letting him do quarter squats.

People always lie about their lifts,

Ex: Its when a little sh%t head sees me doing olympic squats (ass to floor) w/ 405 for reps and says", is that all you can do?

“I can do 495 for reps, easy”

yeah right " slightly bending the knee is not a squat combined with all the shaking and trembling while performing a b.s. rep.

I will post pics to prove I am better than the internet trash who lies about their numbers and physique.

Amen.

[quote]Captain Zero wrote:

Ex: Its when a little sh%t head sees me doing olympic squats (ass to floor) w/ 405 for reps and says", is that all you can do?

yeah right " slightly bending the knee is not a squat combined with all the shaking and trembling while performing a b.s. rep.

I will post pics to prove I am better than the internet trash who lies about their numbers and physique.

Amen.[/quote]

video of 405 atg for reps.

yea, watchin people do squats has become one of my favorite past times between sets…

I saw two guys with emo hair cuts at the age of 18+ and very limited body mass “incline benching” 225.

with a spotter, they were literally going about an inch, maybe less.

At first I thought they were doing some sort of strange “static hold”, although stupid it would at least make some sense.

But then I realized there was ever so slight movement of the elbows.

I was standing there watching trying to figure out what they were doing, and then started laughing. They saw me and kinda shifted around like someone had caught them masturbating to a K-mart Ad.

It was awkward, and I proceeded to saunter off as I had finished squatting and was duck walking about.

Ego
[/thread]

[quote]Westclock wrote:
I saw two guys with emo hair cuts at the age of 18+ and very limited body mass “incline benching” 225.

with a spotter, they were literally going about an inch, maybe less.

At first I thought they were doing some sort of strange “static hold”, although stupid it would at least make some sense.

But then I realized there was ever so slight movement of the elbows.

I was standing there watching trying to figure out what they were doing, and then started laughing. They saw me and kinda shifted around like someone had caught them masturbating to a K-mart Ad.

It was awkward, and I proceeded to saunter off as I had finished squatting and was duck walking about.

[/quote]

haha kids these days. Man there is a guy like that at my gym, he has some serious issues. Everytime I am in the gym he always gets right next to me, does the same exercises, grabs the same weight, and barely moves it, then tries to stare me down.

idk what’s up with these people.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

video of 405 atg for reps.[/quote]

Gold.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:

i used to think i was weak as shit, hearing all these skinny guys talkin about how much they bench for how many reps… i hardly beleive any of it anymore unless they actually got some size to back it up…

youre just figuring this out?

you know how many people 1/4 squat and quarter bench and think that its legit? id seriously say 9/10 gym rats either dont bring the bar all the way down or use a ton of bounce

considering most gym rats dont even squat, you find the ones who do and maybe like 2% of them squat to anything close to parallel. - i saw a gym trainer teaching someone to squat last night and it was horrible. A) he kept telling the guy where to put his knees like directly infront of him which isnt possible for everyone and B) he was letting him do quarter squats.[/quote]

Right. Or working with guys who are asking how big my bench is. Generally when asked, I question why they don’t ask what my deadlift or squat numbers are.

And this question generally leads to them telling me about how they squatted 400+ in high school, but they have a bad knee.

Same shit, different day.

I hear you on that fellas so many people talk themself up, then blame lack of sleep or an injury as to why they cant back up what they said when you train with them.

As for watching people in the gym I saw the funniest thing today, I lifeguard at a pool and there is a gym over looking it, so you can see people “training”. I saw some guy on an eliptical with 5lb Dbs in each hand doing a punching motion, I laughed so hard I almost fell into the pool, no joke. There is no excuse for that shit, its just gay as fuck. The funniest thing was this guy thought he was the show while doing it.

YES! so many people do shit one inch ROM work outs and ask me why I can’t lift as much as they can…

At the gym on Monday I saw a really puny looking guy between sets on bench and he had nearly 100 more pounds on there than I usually do. I was really impressed until I saw that one rep for him involved about 2 inches of movement.

I’m also a big fan of the guys whose spotters are getting more of a workout than they are.

i find that problem is a lot more apparent on these boards then in my gym

[quote]Captain Zero wrote:

Amen.[/quote]

If he’s truly 5"6 233 and that’s him in his avatar.
I believe that. guy gots that movie screen wide back.

and honestly lately I haven’t seen to many people spout off bs numbers about lifts. Except for trolls. I think most know it’s a bullshit free zone and you will get called out on shit especially if it sounds farfetched. no videos. your ass gets flamed.

Nothing angers me more than seeing people half-ass squats. And EVERYONE half-asses it at my college gym. Yesterday this kid was in the gym and told his partner “Yeah I did 285 for 8” I saw him do all quarter squats…and his partner said

“I should have been watching you – that’s bullshit.”

It was nice to hear someone get called out for that shit.