T Nation

Some Ol' BS: People Who Know Better

my buddy mike just started working out cuz he hasn’t done shit for years now and finally realized that he’s overweight and wants to get in better shape. so me and my other buddy bob have been helping him out, but the other night mike makes a reference to my buddy bob taking something because he got jacked in 6 months and he’s been lifting for like 3 months and he hasn’t seen the same results.

very ingnorant statement because bob has been lifting for years now and started skinny and got big so his results are going to be more noticeable than mike’s would be, going from fat to less fat. but i’m pretty sure he thinks because he’s been lifting for 3 months now that everyone stronger than him is on something.

and he said the same bs to me also. this really pisses me off because i’ve been lifting for years now and have dedicated the past almost 2 years to just powerlifting and gaining weight, he’s still weak as hell regardless of his weight even though i think he’s around 235+, but he says he’s 220 now.

what he doesn’t realize is that, and i should have told him this, is that he’s just weak as shit and when i was 150lbs and a year out of high school my lifts put his to shame, and i was by no means some incredible lifter. i just find this very ingnorant and insulting especially since he just started working out after years of not doing shit besides drinking, smoking and eating.

my other problem is with my mom and cousin. i love my mom but god damn, she complains all the time about gaining weight, but she eats whatever and however much of it she wants and doesn’t do any physical actitivity. what do people expect to happen? then she tells me i can’t keep eating as much as i do cuz my metabolism is going to slow down and when i stop working out i’ll get fat.

also very irritating, especially since most of what she says is not true and based on that damn retarded mass media bullshit “information,” that is based on nothing. my cousin gives me the same shit because her fiance got real fat because he stopped working out and just started eating whatever and a lot of it. do people not get what they are saying?

sorry it’s kinda long but i just needed to say it cuz it’s been bugging me, and i apoligize for not using the shift key that much but my comp has a real bad virus and i try not to use it because it just makes things worse for some reason.

but i was wondering if other people put up with this same bullshit or if you have any related stories that you want to vent out.

thanks for reading.

Is this the same Mike from the other thread?

hahah!

I’m pretty sure everyone does. Everytime I’ve visited my folks they tell me off for eating to much. Whats even funnier is that because I’m still not massive I’ve just put an extra 500-1000kcal per day in my diet. So they’ll be shocked next time they see what I eat.

By T nation standards I am fairly weak, but in the last two gyms I’ve been in i’ve been asked if i’m juicing a couple of times. I try and take it as a compliment. In my oppinion the underlying problem with some of the people who have only been pumping iron for a few months, is that they haven’t learnt the humility long term lifting gives, and don’t know about the dedication it takes.

The last guy who I helped get in shape, used to spend ages on those gay machines that you try and get abbs by rotating on. I would ask him if he had ever seen a guy with abbs using them, but he still insisted that he knew best.

In my oppinion you just have to focus on yourself, and when the gains come, everyone else can learn form your example, even if they won’t learn when you try and teach them.

where are these gyms that people ask others “are you juicing?” who says that bullshit? there are plenty of folks at my gym who use, a few of us discuss it but not out in the open, usually after hrs when it’s key entry only. i’ve moonlighted in pharmacy for a bit and discussed amidrex and other pharm things but where is the etiquette now a days.

to the op, tell your fat family members to back off and explain the ideology behind caloric surplus vs deficient as it pertains to energy expenditure and growth potentiality. Uncle bob got fat after lifting because he ate the same when in maintenance mode, worse yet, he kept his calories high while being a lazy fucker.

reassure the family, if you become lazy like bob you will not continue to eat like bob.

Last two gyms I’ve been in a place called Gs Gym in london (very good) and the one I’m at at the mo in the north of england that sucks, both by fairly new people. I’m not sure if both of them used the phrase “juicing” but words to that effect.

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:
where are these gyms that people ask others “are you juicing?” who says that bullshit?[/quote]

1.)all over the place

2.)a lot of people

every college rec i’ve been in since last year i have been fielded that question. maybe it’s just the age bracket

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:
where are these gyms that people ask others “are you juicing?” who says that bullshit?[/quote]

1.)all over the place

2.)a lot of people

every college rec i’ve been in since last year i have been fielded that question. maybe it’s just the age bracket[/quote]

That’s also my guess, tons of people my age (20-ish) call ‘steroids’ on anybody who outlifts them or is in decent shape over 200lbs. Yet at my home gym the older adults I talk to are more than willing to accept that I and others got this way through work and diet.

So, using the term ‘juicing’ as a pathetic attempt to retain one’s Alpha Male status?

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:
to the op, tell your fat family members to back off and explain the ideology behind caloric surplus vs deficient as it pertains to energy expenditure and growth potentiality. Uncle bob got fat after lifting because he ate the same when in maintenance mode, worse yet, he kept his calories high while being a lazy fucker.
[/quote]

I can’t speak for the OP, but I know if I was trying to explain any kind of “ideology” to my family I’d get blank stares and ‘hmmmph’d’ out of the room with a statement like:

“You been in California too long…”

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

That’s also my guess, tons of people my age (20-ish) call ‘steroids’ on anybody who outlifts them or is in decent shape over 200lbs. Yet at my home gym the older adults I talk to are more than willing to accept that I and others got this way through work and diet.

So, using the term ‘juicing’ as a pathetic attempt to retain one’s Alpha Male status?
[/quote]

Very true. I’ve had multiple people early 20’s ask me if I’m juicing, but VERY few that appear to be over the age of 30.

I dont get why people ask if someone is juicing or not. Most of the time it is obvious, not by the strength level and dedication but when you see some douchebag who don’t workout legs and back, spend 5 min texting on his phone, has a thick pig skin with buttons but can put 365 on the bench you don’t need any confirmation.

80% of the time it’s obvious, so why ask for it if you know it?

Welcome to the real world, where ignorance abounds.

I haven’t had anybody ask me that or throw the comment my way in a while.

I feel like a tool.

I also have been asked if I do steroids because of my progress. Being probably the only one in my gym that doesnt I dont know what to think about it. I’ll take it as a compliment

It just blowed my mind when I learned that so many people in my gym do steroids while having made ZERO progress. Different goals I guess

my family is pretty good about it. i get made fun of a lot for it but i usually just make fun of them for something pathetic about their lives lol. As for my mom she supports it but will occasionally say something along the lines I hope youre not taking steroids because if you get caught you cant become a fire fighter. My response is mom you have no worries until i turn at least 25 and i still dont plan on it, but until then we are in the clear.

I recently learned that a large portion of my former law school classmates thought I was on steroids.

Recent conversation with my friend from school (a guy who tried to workout with me but quit after about three days):

Him: Hey, I started doing P90X.
Me: [Jesting.] My mom does that.
Him: [Insulted by my joke.] Then she must be in better shape than your 'roided out ass.

By the way, I’m only 215 lbs.

People are just ignorant and when you try to educate them…your wrong not their bullshit assumptions…so what can ya do.

most people don’t know how or what the basic barbell lifts even are. How the fuck can you expect them to understand true training and what it does to your physique. In my program every literally thinks that “traditional” training is isolation machine work, and that lunge curls are better.

I’m in health and fitness in college and NOBODY in my program has spent any time whatsoever under or over a barbell besides benching 115 with brutal form.

Here is another thing that fits in with the BS we all get.

A girl told me about her new “weight loss plan”, and it had all those things that girls always put in that are stupid:

fewer meals a day (she was litterally going down to two!!!)
cutting out healthy and unhealthy fats
going for a long walk once a week(she described this as excercise)

The thing is she’s not even fat.

They tell you because they hear you talking about nutrition, and see you at the gym, but then when you say something like “some fats are good” they asume you got the way you are by some kind of accident

[quote]lnname wrote:
Here is another thing that fits in with the BS we all get.

A girl told me about her new “weight loss plan”, and it had all those things that girls always put in that are stupid:

fewer meals a day (she was litterally going down to two!!!)
cutting out healthy and unhealthy fats
going for a long walk once a week(she described this as excercise)

The thing is she’s not even fat.

They tell you because they hear you talking about nutrition, and see you at the gym, but then when you say something like “some fats are good” they asume you got the way you are by some kind of accident
[/quote]

tell her her only weight loss plan should be sucking your dick

its a win win, she loses weight, and gets her marcos right (protein, fats, and crabs)

She should swallow the load post workout, because sperm is mostly sugar and protein.