Some Oil Leaked, Is It Still Sterile?

I found my Test sideways in my drawer and some oil has leaked out. Does it mean it's not airtight so there's a danger it's not sterile anymore? Or it doesnt matter? 

Since I’ve got only 1 or 2 ml left I probably wont take any chances but I’d like your take on it.

[quote]SwD wrote:
I found my Test sideways in my drawer and some oil has leaked out. Does it mean it’s not airtight so there’s a danger it’s not sterile anymore? Or it doesnt matter?

Since I’ve got only 1 or 2 ml left I probably wont take any chances but I’d like your take on it.[/quote]

You’re probably fine. The same thing happened to me and I kept using it without issue. It leaked from one of the injection holes, and not the side of the vial, I assume.

I figured it would have to be upside down - and not sideways - to leak from one of the injection holes.

[quote]SwD wrote:
I figured it would have to be upside down - and not sideways - to leak from one of the injection holes.

[/quote]

If you are pushing air into the vial before you inject then there is already pressure in there. That pressure will cause some of the oil to push out if the vial sits right. I wouldn’t worry about it unless it’s a huge leak.

Your safest bet is to heat the vial in the oven to 225 F for 20 minutes, allow it to cool to room temp, then draw up the remaining amount and inject or place it in another sterile vial that doesn’t leak.

That should kill any bacteria that may have migrated in there, yet still leave the AAS intact.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

If you are pushing air into the vial before you inject then there is already pressure in there. That pressure will cause some of the oil to push out if the vial sits right. I wouldn’t worry about it unless it’s a huge leak. [/quote]

Ditto. This is what I thought as I read your opening post. Also, the Benzyl Alcohol that’s in the mix helps with the sterility issues.

With Prisoner’s suggestion, wouldn’t that melt the seal? I don’t think I’d put anything in the oven with rubber on it, but I can’t say for sure.

[quote]5.0 wrote:
Cortes wrote:

If you are pushing air into the vial before you inject then there is already pressure in there. That pressure will cause some of the oil to push out if the vial sits right. I wouldn’t worry about it unless it’s a huge leak.

Ditto. This is what I thought as I read your opening post. Also, the Benzyl Alcohol that’s in the mix helps with the sterility issues.

With Prisoner’s suggestion, wouldn’t that melt the seal? I don’t think I’d put anything in the oven with rubber on it, but I can’t say for sure.

[/quote]

This is the exact question I wonder every time someone talks about heating AAS in the oven. Maybe I’m missing something.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
5.0 wrote:
Cortes wrote:

This is the exact question I wonder every time someone talks about heating AAS in the oven. Maybe I’m missing something.[/quote]

And, if it didn’t melt, wouldn’t that dry the rubber out, causing accelerated cracking, and other problems? There’s something I’m not understanding, either.

Well the OP said their is only 1-2ml left, so Prisoner is saying to draw up the rest after heating, so it doesn’t really matter if the rubber dries out,cracks or doesn’t cause a sterile seal anymore.

Thanx for the tips.

Prisoner, do I put the vial in the oven without the rubber, or leave it on? 5.0 has made a good point that leaves me wondering.

To continue with the sterile theme, a long while back, I was dumb enough to put a used needle - that I had misplaced with the new ones - in the vial. Would heating the AAS have made it sterile again?

Heating is a quick and easy method of ensuring sterilization. Yes there are certain bacteria that can survive that heat - i.e spores, however it is highly unlikely that your vial would be home to them.

The rubber will not melt at that temperature, but putting a needle in the rubber to vent the air pressure would be a good idea.

You can can even put it in the microwave rather than the oven (don’t worry about using a needle to vent in this case)

Heat it for 20-40 seconds should be fine.

Don’t worry the aluminum seal will not create sparks.

OK thanx