T Nation

Some nutritional questions

I have a few questions that i think are very important. I think alot of diets make assertions that relate to these questions. I’d appreciate any shot anybody can take at answering these questions.
In these questions i assume a healthy, fit male under normal circumstances.

Does a higher insulin level cause a higher percentage of glucose begin stored as adipose tissue (as opposed to glycogen)?
If so, why?

Does a low insulin sensitivity cause a higher percentage of glucose begin stored as adipose tissue (as opposed to glycogen)?
If so, why?

Does a higher insulin level cause a faster storage of glucose?

Is glucose normally only stored as adipose tissue when all glycogen storage space is full?
If not, what is normally the ratio in which glucose is stored as adipose tissue, muscle glycogen and liver glycogen?

“Does a higher insulin level cause a higher percentage of glucose begin stored as adipose tissue (as opposed to glycogen)?
If so, why?”

yes, according to an article here on t-mag. i forget what it is, though :frowning: it might have been one of those “news” ones about nutrition. i think there was a picture of two vials of blood in it, too, if that helps at all.

but the reason was that muscles only respond to moderate amounts of insulin normally, so if you go above that amount on insulin, you will be storing fat as well.

"Does a low insulin sensitivity cause a higher percentage of glucose begin stored as adipose tissue (as opposed to glycogen)?
If so, why?

yes. the reason is that adipose tissue is the last place to lose sensitivity. i forget the exact chain of things, but it’s something like first muscles lose, then liver loses, and then fat loses sensitivity. again, i’m not sure if that order is correct, but that’s approximate.

“Does a higher insulin level cause a faster storage of glucose?”

don’t know.

“Is glucose normally only stored as adipose tissue when all glycogen storage space is full?
If not, what is normally the ratio in which glucose is stored as adipose tissue, muscle glycogen and liver glycogen?”

i can’t answer this for sure, but if you don’t mind, i’ll do a little guessing here.

my guess is that whether or not glycogen stores are filled first depends on the amount of insulin in the blood and insulin sensitivity. if insulin levels are too high, then most of the glucose would theoretically be stored as fat. this is due to the thing mentioned before about how muscles only response to so much insulin normally. so if glycogen stores in the muscles were slightly down, i would say that glucose could be stored as fat before glycogen is restored (or around the same time). and if you’re insulin sensitivity is shot, then i think this would be even more the case.

if your muscles are depleted of glycogen, then i would think their sensitivity would be greatly increased.

hope this is of some help.

Interesting stuff, thanks!

Do you (or somebody else) have any links about this stuff? Especially about the muscles only responding to a moderate amount of insulin and losing insulin sensitivity first? I’d like to do some further reading about this.

hey! i found the one link i was talking about. check it out:

Insulin

if that doesn’t work:

Thanks, man! Very interesting read!

Buff, you should check out what JMB has written, if you haven’t already. His stuff deals with both the glucose/insulin questions you have above, and the general eating questions you posted on another thread.

As for your question: “Does a higher insulin level cause a faster storage of glucose?” , I have to admit that I’m not 100% sure of what you’re getting at. But my feeling is that you’re putting the cart before the horse on this one.