Some Nutritional Controversies

So maybe the PWO consumption of protein should follow a somewhat ‘staggered’ equivalent of the glycemic load score used for carbs with respect to insulin?

Meaning, I’d like to see a study on a carefully crafted blend such as:

whey hydro (or casein hydro)
whey concentrate
egg protein
micellar casein

All in a particular ratio meant to sustain a certain level of amino acid concentration in the blood. I know there was a similar article on here about this concept.

Probably just splitting pubes over this, but I’d be curious to see the effects.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
To sum up, I think Konstantin’s claims are worth investigating. I certainly do not think he should be called either a genius or a quack from someone who has never read his book entirely.

[/quote]

His best three attempts to make his case, as picked by Gumpshmee, were the works of a quack and/or someone who can’t spot when a study that he supplies to prove a point, doesn’t at all prove his point.

Does it take his best four arguments all being no good before we can call him someone who writes drivel?

Or does it take his best top 10 all being bad before we can conclude his writings are drivel?

Maybe even if his best 100 are all utter nonsense I still am in the wrong to call his writings drivel?

Do you have an example of where he actually proves his case in demonstrating that something which widely-accepted knowledge regarding fiber considers beneficial actually is harmful? Which is the “controversy” being asked about?

If not, but you’ve been provided 3 examples in a row where he fails to do so, why keep giving him credit?

No offense intended, absolutely not, but it seems you must be a very easy fellow to sell a book to. Anb extremely high percentage of drivel in it (so far, 100%) just doesn’t seem to matter?

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:

Speaking about fruits and vegetables here, I personally have seen little conclusive evidence that super-concentrating and consuming a particular compound contained therein offers any additional benefit that couldn’t be attained by simply eating a good amount of said fruit or vegetable. I don’t think its inherently dangerous in most cases, but I do think that a.) your health would benefit more by eating the real deal and b.) a good amount of your “megadose” is being conjugated into very expensive urine.

Just my opinion. I could very well be wrong.[/quote]

How hard have you looked for said evidence?

There’s plenty of evidence. “Conclusive” is always going to be elusive given the complexity of the body and the nature of individual differences. But this isn’t a court of law here, it’s my own health and optimal function.

I take the opposite position. When there’s decent evidence that a compound produces a desirable effect and seems safe, I am willing to try it.

Furthermore, despite a nutrient-dense diet loaded with fruits and vegetables, I come up short on several known nutrients most days. That means that there are any number of hours where water-soluble nutrients in particular are not sufficient to support optimal function. Like having workers on a construction site, and plenty of drywall, but not enough screws. This is why I take supplements throughout the day. I am sure the supplements are not perfect, but repeated experimentation with and without them over the years has proven that I am healthier and function better with them.

Yes, good supplements are expensive and some are undoubtedly wasted, but some food we eat and water we drink is “wasted” too, yet we eat and drink. Why drink all that water if you’re just gonna pee most of it out? Insurance money gets “wasted” all the time as well, yet I prefer to be insured.

[quote]andersons wrote:

How hard have you looked for said evidence?

There’s plenty of evidence. “Conclusive” is always going to be elusive given the complexity of the body and the nature of individual differences. But this isn’t a court of law here, it’s my own health and optimal function.

[/quote]

Well, reasonably hard I suppose. I was a lot more up to date on nutraceutical findings back in uni, but I like to browse nutritional journal articles because there’s a lot of groundbreaking stuff being discovered on a near daily basis.

With a few exceptions (resveratrol, some catechins and a couple others) I haven’t found much of anything that indicates to me, beyond a reasonable doubt, that a proven positive physiological effect can be gained by taking a concentrated extract that can’t be gained by consuming a reasonable amount of the actual fruit or vegetable its taken from.

If you find some, though, please post it. I’d be interested to know.

Not really a fair comparison here. Unless you’re swigging back gallons upon gallons most water you drink serves a function…rehydration and at the very least, waste excretion. Once you exceed a certain limit of intake for a compound, it becomes waste itself; nothing more.

I can understand and respect what you’re trying to do here…“have your bases covered” if I’m reading correctly, but I am of the opinion that nature itself holds the keys to cover these bases and most of them involve intelligent nutrition rather than chemically extracting/encapsulating and peddling at GNC.

I’m in the pharmaceutical industry and I can say that a good percentage of our “blockbuster” drugs have come not from the work of scientists in a lab, but rather, from so-called “primitive folk medicine” of isolated ethnic groups (often, of South American). That blood pressure medicine your grandfather takes? Probably comes from bark. The antibiotic that saved a relative’s life? Likely from a poisonous mushroom.

The point of this is that I’m not inherently against extracting effective compounds…in the case of things that 99.9% of humans would never come in contact with or physically be able to eat…but having so much nutrition in the vegetable section of a supermarket, I have to wonder about the purpose of dissecting and bottling something that’s near perfect already