T Nation

Some Help With Diet

Hey everyone,

I have lost 22lbs (from 207-185) since january and have gained a good amount of strength. But around March I have plataued and in the last month have only lost 1.5 lbs. I know things take time and I am a fairly patient person, but I took a picture of myself in march at the start of the plataue, and another one today, and after 30 days of lifting 5 days a week and eating fairly well im at a loss.

I am hoping some of you can let me know what you think, anything constructive would be appreciated. I am currently 6ft, 185.2 lbs w/ 14-18% bf. My goal is a change in body composition. If an example of my workout is needed I can post that as well.

Thanks

Sample day

meal 1 -4 egg whites, 1.5 whole eggs, 3/4 cup of oatmeal, 1.5 cup milk, 1/2 apple, grean tea 3 fish oil

workout

meal 2 -Surge

meal 3 - 4 cups cauliflower, 6 oz chicken breast, 1/4 TBSP EVOO, 3 fish oil

meal 4- 3 cups broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot mix, 8 oz lean beef, 1/4 TBSP of EVOO, 4 cups of spinach, 3 fish oil

meal 5 - 4 egg whites, 1.5 whole eggs

ZMA

meal 6 muscle milk

2298 cals, 231g protein, 173g carbs, 66g fat, 28g fiber

[quote]pdub wrote:
Hey everyone,

I have lost 22lbs (from 207-185) since january and have gained a good amount of strength. But around March I have plataued and in the last month have only lost 1.5 lbs. I know things take time and I am a fairly patient person, but I took a picture of myself in march at the start of the plataue, and another one today, and after 30 days of lifting 5 days a week and eating fairly well im at a loss.

I am hoping some of you can let me know what you think, anything constructive would be appreciated. I am currently 6ft, 185.2 lbs w/ 14-18% bf. My goal is a change in body composition. If an example of my workout is needed I can post that as well.

Thanks

Sample day

meal 1 -4 egg whites, 1.5 whole eggs, 3/4 cup of oatmeal, 1.5 cup milk, 1/2 apple, grean tea 3 fish oil

workout

meal 2 -Surge

meal 3 - 4 cups cauliflower, 6 oz chicken breast, 1/4 TBSP EVOO, 3 fish oil

meal 4- 3 cups broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot mix, 8 oz lean beef, 1/4 TBSP of EVOO, 4 cups of spinach, 3 fish oil

meal 5 - 4 egg whites, 1.5 whole eggs

ZMA

meal 6 muscle milk

2298 cals, 231g protein, 173g carbs, 66g fat, 28g fiber

[/quote]

A few observations which may or may not help:

• The leaner you get, the slower the rate of fat loss becomes.
  • Rely more on measurements, and if possible measure body fat.
  • Ditch the Muscle Milk at night. Replace with Metabolic Drive or cottage cheese, they both have casein, a slow-digesting protein which will help prevent night-time catabolism.
  • What does your training look like? Lots of compound lifts (good)?
  • Perhaps consider adding some HIIT cardio.
  • If you’re really getting stuck, don’t decrease calories too much, or you will fuck up your metabolism and possibly lose lean mass.
  • Get in more NEPA - non-exercise physical activity - take stairs etc.

Try to add some HIIT if you already haven’t done so. You’re getting a great amount of fiber, congrats man. Its hard to get that much fiber every day.

I am in a similar situation 6’1" around 15% bf… march first i weighed in at 196. I weighed 194 last week. Look exactly the same. But my waist has gone down over half an inch and my gut has gone down more than that. Along with my caliper measurements showing a 2% loss in fat.

So i guess my point is, the more points of measurement the better you can gauge your progress.

I started the V-Diet though. I am ready to be done cutting. I have been going hard since dec 1st strict.

Good luck!

basically my lifts are as follows:
back/bis-
Pull ups 5x8
T-Bar 4x8
DB row 3x8
DB curl 3x8
pronated ez bar 2x8
close grip supinated pull down 2x8

chest/shoulders/tris
flat db press 5x8
incline db press 3x8
BB military press 4x8
Leaning lateral raise 3x8
skull crushers 3x8

Legs
deadlift 5x8 (or front squat)
leg press 4x8
leg curl 3x8

oh…and thanks!
calf raises/soleus
BB shrugs

I do this type of routine hiting each body part every 4th day, so chest saturday, and wednesday…back sunday, thursday, ect…

I guess I need to add some more cardio in. I was doing alot of cardio initially but backed off of it. I’ll try the HIIT too.