T Nation

Some Body Composition Questions

Kk, ive got some questions about this.

We all know that nutrition is the primary determinent for changes in body composition. If you want to gain weight, you much take in more than you use, and if you want to lose weight you must use more than you take in. So thats simple, lets not discuss that. Lets just assume you were able to have your nutrition be optimal, and you were going to look at training variables.

Is buildnig much different then cutting, or should the program be very similar with less calories?

Is the main goal of exercising and trying to lose fat, an increase in basal metabolic rate as well as EPOC. Or are there other factors to focus on?

The major variables for exercise that I can think of are: Frequency, Intensity, Duration (volume), and density.

These are all inversly related, but there are many differnt ways to arrange things.

You could have high frequency, high intensity, high density, low volume

Low frequency, high intensity, high volume, moderate density,

ETC.

What is most important for changes in body comp, both building and cutting?

[quote]dankid wrote:
Kk, ive got some questions about this.

We all know that nutrition is the primary determinent for changes in body composition. If you want to gain weight, you much take in more than you use, and if you want to lose weight you must use more than you take in. So thats simple, lets not discuss that. Lets just assume you were able to have your nutrition be optimal, and you were going to look at training variables.

Is buildnig much different then cutting, or should the program be very similar with less calories?

Is the main goal of exercising and trying to lose fat, an increase in basal metabolic rate as well as EPOC. Or are there other factors to focus on?

The major variables for exercise that I can think of are: Frequency, Intensity, Duration (volume), and density.

These are all inversly related, but there are many differnt ways to arrange things.

You could have high frequency, high intensity, high density, low volume

Low frequency, high intensity, high volume, moderate density,

ETC.

What is most important for changes in body comp, both building and cutting?[/quote]

While dieting, you’ll want to maintain or possibly increase your BMR. At least slow down the reduction in BMR if possible.

It’s my belief that you’d want to continue whatever it is that adds muscle to your frame. Whichever protocol works best for you is what you need to do. If you’re in a place where you need to change up your workout, do it but not because of the diet per se.

I feel that if you change diet and amount of cardio, the weight work can stay the same whether bulking or dieting.

BTW, intensity is the most important variable ALWAYS. We see it all the time. Some guy with what you believe is a crappy routine trains his ASS off and he “magically” gets bigger and stronger. Intensity is key above all else.

Thats what I was thinking, do you think frequency would be the next variable, especially for fat loss?

Yes. I could probably argue duration but it’s not enough of a difference to get that picky.

I think with heavy training and proper diet, you can get where you want to go or 80-90% be it more mass, less fat mass or a mix. Adding some cardio would be next.