T Nation

Some Beginner Questions

well im sorta new to weight lifting i started last year in jan then had to stop multiple times because of injuries so i probly worked out 7-8 months all together i went from benching 140-245 within this time i know getting big takes time

but i get frustrated cuz im like a big kid an not as strong as im supposed to be im 6'3 280 an im just turning 17

oh yeah like i now in order to get stronger u have to keep adding the weight to the bar,but at my house i only have 155 to work with since i dont have a gym membership yet i do heavy once in a while at my friends

so i do the 100 rep set thing i found on this sight,i start with 26 reps,then 10,9,an like 7 sets of 7

i know doing more reps is supposed to give u endurance but can it increase ur max?

oh an i honestly can say i eat like shit lol like not enough i take nu blend protein is that good?

well advice on new bench work outs or any comments i'll appreciate hearing back from you guys

I'll do my best to answer what I think are your questions.

"so i do the 100 rep set thing i found on this sight,i start with 26 reps,then 10,9,an like 7 sets of 7

i know doing more reps is supposed to give u endurance but can it increase ur max? "

I assume what you are referring to here is Chad Waterbury's 100 Reps-a-Day program. My understanding is that this particular program was devised to help individuals bring up certain lagging body parts. By virtue of this fact, 100 Reps-a-day was meant for trainees who have already developed their physique somewhat. I assume since you posted in the Beginners forum you are somewhat new to lifting.

The high number of reps that this program prescribes is meant to aid in the recovery of thoes chosen body parts from heavy training as well as increasing sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and improving the mind/muscle connection. So, to answer your question, yes, this program can help bring up your maxes. (But so can a balanced diet with adequate recovery methods)

"oh an i honestly can say i eat like shit lol like not enough i take nu blend protein is that good? "

I think what you are trying to say here is that your nutrition is lacking (especially in terms of calories taken in). There are literally dozens of great nutrition plans on this site, just use the search feature. Search for 'Massive Eating', 'Appetite for construction' or 'Lean eating'. That ought to get you headed in the right direction.

As far as your choice of protein is concerned, I have never heard of or tried Nu blend. Trust me when I say that Metabolic Drive (located in the T-Nation store) is second to none. You really can't find a better MRP anywhere.

"well advice on new bench work outs or any comments i'll appreciate hearing back from you guys"

I'm not that well-versed in the intricacies of the difference between benching programs. However, I can recommend 'Westside' from personal experience.

By the way, please learn to use correct grammar and punctutation when posting. It is very difficult to unserstand any of what you posted.

oh sorry i was typing quickly next time i'll slow down, but thanks for the comment

100 rep programs are not really meant for beginners, it's more often used as a 'slump-buster' or to shock a muscle-group.

If I were you, I would try and buy some used weights, check your local exercise gear shop, or check the sporting-goods section of CraigsList for your city: www.craigslist.org/about/cities.html I've found a number of good deals from other people selling weight-benches and whatnot. It's a great way to set-up a home gym. Just double-check that the kind of plates they are selling are compatible with what you've got so far.

Also, don't forget there are other ways of adding difficulty to lifting. Try lifting those 155 pounds quickly, really try and move the load as quickly as possible. That will help you build more strength.

And as a final note, don't forget to do other movements besides bench-pressing. Many a lifter has permanently screwed-up shoulders from not developing total-body muscle balance. At a minimum, you should squat, deadlift, bench-press, and chin-ups, or some equivalent movement.