Some Asshole At The Gym Today....

was complaining to me and another guy how people never take weights off the bar. Now, I understand that its annoying and no one likes it, but this guy was cursing and ranting to me and anohter guy and I always re-rack weights, and I’ve never seen this guy leave them around either. What bugged me was, he was complaining about weights being on the bar in the squat rack, the one squat rack we have in our gym. Then, after taking the plates off, he proceeds to do curls in the rack.

Rant over, sorry, I just thought this guy was a bigger asshole than the guy who left the plates on the bar.

I almost ALWAYS leave a set of 45’s on the bar in the squat rack in my gym. It doesn’t look right without it.

[quote]Wideguy wrote:
I almost ALWAYS leave a set of 45’s on the bar in the squat rack in my gym. It doesn’t look right without it.[/quote]

So do I. Unless you have a lot of women at your gym who are very weak, I don’t understand what all of the bitching is about. In general, I will leave about one plate on the machine. The only thing that pisses me off are the ones who will put three 10lbs plates under a 45lbs and a 25lbs. It basically means I have to take EVERYTHING off just to get back to the 45lbs plate and move up from there. I thought it was common sense to put the largest plates on first. That is a classic newbie move.

I use my gym chalk to write messages on the power rack such as, “Re-rack your weights” or “Lift heavy in 2005.” You could write, “Attention Weenies: No curling in the squat rack!”

[quote]Wideguy wrote:
I almost ALWAYS leave a set of 45’s on the bar in the squat rack in my gym. It doesn’t look right without it.[/quote]

And it dissuades assholes from curling with it.

a guy at my gym always does standing calf raises on our smith machine. He never puts back his weights even the ones he puts on the floor to stand on… wtf is that?! I don’t mind plates on the bar but I don’t want to be taking weights off the floor too. Common courtesy and sense is what people like this need.

If you are too big of a bitch to put your shit away, get the fuck out of the gym.

[quote]doogie wrote:
If you are too big of a bitch to put your shit away, get the fuck out of the gym.[/quote]

If you are too much of a bitch to be able to lift one 45lbs plate, get the fuck out of the gym.

[quote]moe wrote:
a guy at my gym always does standing calf raises on our smith machine. He never puts back his weights even the ones he puts on the floor to stand on… wtf is that?! I don’t mind plates on the bar but I don’t want to be taking weights off the floor too. Common courtesy and sense is what people like this need.[/quote]

Does anyone here have an effective ‘cure’ for these types of people? Tried and true stuff?

My experience has been that these assholes are ‘Me,myself, and I’ types, and I have never been able to convince them to change. Maybe they will stop doing it THAT TIME I tell them. If I am lucky, maybe next time when I am around.

But until these assholes ‘choose’ to change, or whatever alignment of planets get them thinking outside their little box … we are cursed to Rant.

Ultimately, if someone here has a solution, it would be very useful in other areas, to everybody here.

For example, the bus stops in my city are very long and have only 2 openings, 1 at each end of a 20 foot-long glass corridor. Hoping not to freeze or catch some wind, asshole smokers don’t give a shoot, enter the bus stop and keep on puffing, even though they are 1 or 2 for 12 of us non-smokers. Even if these smokers try to easy their conscience by smoking right next to exits, the fumes and ‘aura’ gets felt everywhere in the bus stop.

Having never seen anybody successful deal with these assholes, and many have tried, I just gave up. When an asshole smoker comes in the bus stop, I get out of it as soon as possible. I try to do this as soon as they reach for their lighters. When my timing is right, some smokers ‘connect the dots’, look at me in a surprised way, but keep on puffing.

The cold analytical side of me would say “These sicks assholes Dominate. They are the Alphas. They have won. They do what their ‘heart’ desires, and we can only whine and bitch about it. These assholes display their pissing-marks with smoke, and drive the non-alphas out of there. So in the end, theoretically smoke-free bus stop is just the opposite, a smoker-full zone. Way to go, Assholes.”

Tried and true solutions would be most welcome. Thanks in advance!

[quote]Wideguy wrote:

The problem is that not everybody might find the height you’ve left the rack pins (J-hooks) at to their liking. Adjusting those pins is easier to do if the bar is unloaded. Just common courtesy for the next person I think…

HAHAHA tried and true solutions. Most of them have been outlawed, remember we’ve P.C.'d ourselves right out of rights.

My gym is small, small town, everyone knows everyone and everyone’s routine. Gym owner will reem, whip and suspend someone who becomes unreasonably offensive. Since it’s the only game in town this works. I had some family visiting who used a guest pass. She just kept saying over and over again, everyone wipes down their equipment when their done.

Just realized you guys are talking about a squat rack and not a power rack, which was what I was alluding to. Regardless, the height at which you leave a loaded bar on the squat rack could still present problems for the next user if he is shorter than you.

simplify

if you are a bitch, get out of the gym.

not a female referance for clarification.

[quote]TeeVee69 wrote:
Just realized you guys are talking about a squat rack and not a power rack, which was what I was alluding to. Regardless, the height at which you leave a loaded bar on the squat rack could still present problems for the next user if he is shorter than you.[/quote]

He’s right. I’m 5’6 and usually have to move the supports in the power rack or use a lower pin on the squat rack. Not only that, but not everyone uses the 45’s. Stop being a dick and strip the bar. I even remove all my 45’s from the leg press even though I know most folks use at least a pair.
And as far as putting the plates away, if it was an I.Q. test, everyone would fail (putting ‘like’ things together).

I’m with Prof X.

Although I’ll strip down the bar(s) when I’m done…I’ve got no bitch with a couple 45’s. My bitch comes in…when you’ve got some knuckle head leaving 5’s-10’s-25’s between 45’s or whatever.

It’s just a pain in the ass…as I’m trying to get into my next exercise/workout. 45’s boom-boom and it’s done.

Rack it…

[quote]gojira wrote:
…but not everyone uses the 45’s. Stop being a dick and strip the bar. I even remove all my 45’s from the leg press even though I know most folks use at least a pair.
And as far as putting the plates away, if it was an I.Q. test, everyone would fail (putting ‘like’ things together). [/quote]

I agree. Whats the big deal about putting weights away? Its like littering in the gym. If the lifter puts the weights on the bar, they should take it off. Unless you are 110% sure the next person is going to use the same weight or more. Some kid that just started lifting or maybe a small, petite woman will have a tough time putting the weights away.

Maybe the people that leave the weights on the bar still think their mother is going to clean up after them :slight_smile:

LOL!!

[quote]doogie wrote:
If you are too big of a bitch to put your shit away, get the fuck out of the gym.[/quote]

If you can’t warm up for the squat or BP with one plate, go use the pink dumbells.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
If you can’t warm up for the squat or BP with one plate, go use the pink dumbells.
[/quote]

I’m sure some woman do use the pink dumbbells. Can they not use the squat rack or the bench press? Would it be so hard to take off all of your weights for people who aren’t as big and buff as you are???

[quote]Professor X wrote:
doogie wrote:
If you are too big of a bitch to put your shit away, get the fuck out of the gym.

If you are too much of a bitch to be able to lift one 45lbs plate, get the fuck out of the gym.[/quote]

Prof X…Put your fucking weights away and drop the tough guy attitude!

I see nothing wrong with leaving a 45lb plate on each side. Since most people probably do that much, it should serve 'em right. And if they don’t… well, I just hope it inspires them to lift that much.