T Nation

Some Advice on My Routine

can some people give me some advice on my routine please, goals are a big size increase with good strength gains

day 1 - back/biceps
3 sets pull ups 6-10 reps
3 sets db bent over rows 6-10 reps
3 sets lat pull down 6-10 reps
3 sets hammer curls 6-10 reps

day 3 - chest/tricep/shoulders
3 sets bench press 6-10 reps
3 sets incline bench press 6-10 reps
3 sets db fly 6-10 reps
3 sets military press 6-10 reps
i havent put a tricep isolation here my arms seem KNACKERED by this point, all the lifts seem to rely heavily on the triceps anyway (except flys)

day 5 - legs/lower back
3 sets squat 6-10 reps
3 sets rdl 6-10 reps
3 sets hamstring curls 6-10 reps
3 sets standing calf raises 6-10 reps

on days 2,4,6 and 7 rest.

So have only really just started this but have tried to eat like a horse, im quite small build 5 foot 10 and approx 11 stone, approx 11% bf. In general is this routine looking ok? Thanks

You could do with triceps- personally my shoulders feel much healthier with some sort of rear delt movement aswel. :smiley:

In my opinion, 3 training days a week is not great for optimum results. Yes, it can work, but it won't be the best.

On your routine as it is, I would try to start with overhead pressing -> Incline -> flat as CT recommends. I've been doing this exclusively and I have to say it is much better. Initially, your flat bench will decrease, but after a couple weeks it should be back up to where it was and even surpass your normal weight. Also, with this setup the triceps get pretty beat up. Isolation would depend on how you feel that day.

However, as captain slow said, you should definitely put some rear delt movements as well as lateral head movements for shoulders. These muscles def need some isolation work. Lastly, you should try to switch up your rep range and amount of sets. Everything is 3 sets 6-10. I'd do the heavier work (squats, pressing, etc) with less reps and more sets and have isolation work with what you have.

You made that sound really complicated man, just saying. To the OP just go read the Bodybuilding Bible post on this site. Thatl cover you.

Didn't mean to make it sound complicated...

cliff notes: train more frequently, include isolation work for shoulders, switch up rep range

or just read the Bodybuilding Bible as Blackaggar said...good stuff in there.

OP are you against training 4 days a week? Nothing wrong with the split you presented, it's very similar to how I trained when I started to get from about 130lbs to 165lbs (barely any fat gain) it just needs a lateral raise, rear delt movement (you can put on back day) and just do the tricep isolation (I'd say french presses or lying behind the head extensions), your muscular endurance will improve quickly, maybe throw in a leg press/hack squat on leg day. Rep range and amount of sets is FINE. Oh yeah, on chest day, ALWAYS start with incline (I prefer the dumbbell variation), you'll be glad you did down the road.

thanks king, i cant commit to 4 days a week really, i work shift work and im on a 5 week shift pattern so its hard for me to commit to doing 4 days, its easier with 3, thanks for the advice with the exercises though