Some Advice on my Routine

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
Kruiser wrote:
It’s fine to just use some old sawhorses for a squat rack. You have to start from the bottom position but that makes it tougher so why not? The main advantage of a rack is that you have a place to dump the bar if you get stuck in the hole.

Alright. I had thought that mainly a squat rack is for actually being able to get the weight high enough to start to squat; Like how I cannot clean enough weight to really do heavy squats.

But sawhorses? Alright, I’ll run it past my dad when he gets home. Thanks for your input.

Anyone have experience with these? Or other ideas?[/quote]

Sawhorses and cinderblocks can definitely be used to perform Anderson squats (squats from the bottom). If you can do those, regular squats at the same weight will seem a breeze after that. It’s really safe since you can’t push more weight up than you are able to control on the way down so you don’t have to be concerned about having to dump the weight.

How much total weight do you have in plates, RB?

I’d cut the reps down by a couple, and after the first exercise, i’d skip the higher rep warmups… maybe do an easy set of 5 just to get yourself into the movement, then do you heaviest set of 6 to 8 reps afterwards.

I think you’re doing too many exercises. I’d focus on 2 big compound exercises per large bodypart, then rotate them about every 6 weeks or so. Because, you’re limited at home, and the worst thing that can happen is getting stale. Keeping your routine fresh is very important.

Yeah, I definitely didn’t mean for you to do a 20+ rep warm up for every exercise. It’s just to get your joints warmed up.

I don’t know about doing less exercises though. He has pull ups, chin ups, and bent over BB rows for back. How much more can you cut down?

Incline, flat, dips, and flys. I feel that each has it’s place and nothing is excessive.

For shoulders, it’s just standing barbell military press and front/side/rear raises. That’s not an excessive amount of exercises.

I wouldn’t remove anything. I also feel that the whole “fresh routine” and " confuse the muscle" thing is overrated. Maybe at the more advanced level, it’s important, but I can consistently put on weight and strength just by doing the same shit, lifting hard, and eating a lot. I think that at our age and stage of the game, it’s really not a big deal.

Also, I’m sure he won’t be using that exact same routine for months. He’s probably going to learn how his body works and what works for him and make gradual adjustments to it to fit his style

[quote]imhungry wrote:
How much total weight do you have in plates, RB?

I’d cut the reps down by a couple, and after the first exercise, i’d skip the higher rep warmups… maybe do an easy set of 5 just to get yourself into the movement, then do you heaviest set of 6 to 8 reps afterwards.

I think you’re doing too many exercises. I’d focus on 2 big compound exercises per large bodypart, then rotate them about every 6 weeks or so. Because, you’re limited at home, and the worst thing that can happen is getting stale. Keeping your routine fresh is very important.

[/quote]

Currently 160lbs total weight, 40lbs of which is the bar.

Not sure which day your talking about cutting reps down?
I feel sore like theres no tommorrow after todays workout, which was insane. My arms were like rubber for like 10min directly after.

Which body part was today? Did you use the one you wrote down above?

[quote]skidmark wrote:
RebornTN wrote:
Kruiser wrote:
It’s fine to just use some old sawhorses for a squat rack. You have to start from the bottom position but that makes it tougher so why not? The main advantage of a rack is that you have a place to dump the bar if you get stuck in the hole.

Alright. I had thought that mainly a squat rack is for actually being able to get the weight high enough to start to squat; Like how I cannot clean enough weight to really do heavy squats.

But sawhorses? Alright, I’ll run it past my dad when he gets home. Thanks for your input.

Anyone have experience with these? Or other ideas?

Sawhorses and cinderblocks can definitely be used to perform Anderson squats (squats from the bottom). If you can do those, regular squats at the same weight will seem a breeze after that. It’s really safe since you can’t push more weight up than you are able to control on the way down so you don’t have to be concerned about having to dump the weight. [/quote]

Whoa, never heard of that before. Now THAT sounds like a good idea. How high should the sawhorses be, or are they a standard height (I admit to knowing very little about them)

[quote]Artem wrote:
Which body part was today? Did you use the one you wrote down above?[/quote]

Today was chest. My mom was a bitch though, and I knew I wouldnt have time for the incline bench. I still have to figure how much to adjust the part of the bench that holds the bar (in relation to the backrest).

Im calling it a night, but tommorrow I can fill you guys in with some numbers…which were not impressive. But Im feeling like I did fucking good, so they will improve!

Yeah man be sure to do inclines. They’re two seperate parts of the chest and you need to work both. A filled out upper chest looks good.

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
My mom was a bitch though,[/quote]

nice

[quote]Artem wrote:
Yeah, I definitely didn’t mean for you to do a 20+ rep warm up for every exercise. It’s just to get your joints warmed up.

I don’t know about doing less exercises though. He has pull ups, chin ups, and bent over BB rows for back. How much more can you cut down?

Incline, flat, dips, and flys. I feel that each has it’s place and nothing is excessive.

For shoulders, it’s just standing barbell military press and front/side/rear raises. That’s not an excessive amount of exercises.

I wouldn’t remove anything. I also feel that the whole “fresh routine” and " confuse the muscle" thing is overrated. Maybe at the more advanced level, it’s important, but I can consistently put on weight and strength just by doing the same shit, lifting hard, and eating a lot. I think that at our age and stage of the game, it’s really not a big deal.

Also, I’m sure he won’t be using that exact same routine for months. He’s probably going to learn how his body works and what works for him and make gradual adjustments to it to fit his style[/quote]

Ok, you guys wanted input, you got it. Obviously you know what to do, and don’t need anything from me. Good luck.

oooooh you’ve got him all bitchy now haha (if i sensed the ‘tone’ right)

[quote]Subliminal-Steve wrote:
oooooh you’ve got him all bitchy now haha (if i sensed the ‘tone’ right)[/quote]

Actually, no. I wasn’t being “bitchy”. Looking at it now, I can see how you could see that. I gave my input, they disagreed with it. It’s their prerogative.

thats what I meant, just the way you put it gave the impression… well… ya know, it’s hard so sense somebodys tone on forums

I am of the opinion that unless your huge, and just fleshing out the details that only one variation is needed ie. Bench Press or Incline Press. Just alternate from cycle to cycle.

Carry on.

ditch inclines

and i really do like pie

Why would you not do incline?

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
Im calling it a night, but tommorrow I can fill you guys in with some numbers…which were not impressive. But Im feeling like I did fucking good, so they will improve![/quote]

what happened to the filling us in with numbers?

[quote]Subliminal-Steve wrote:
RebornTN wrote:
Im calling it a night, but tommorrow I can fill you guys in with some numbers…which were not impressive. But Im feeling like I did fucking good, so they will improve!

what happened to the filling us in with numbers?[/quote]

I know I know, I had my drumset auditions though. I will get those numbers typed in ASAP. I’ll have numbers for my chest day, back day, and leg day. They will prob be in tommorrow after school.

PS. I did get into the band, so I’d say it was worth having to delay numbers/ and a workout.

[quote]Artem wrote:
Why would you not do incline? [/quote]

why would you???