T Nation

Somatype & Fighting Ability?

Does somatype affect fighting ability?

Does a mesomorph naturally have a more aggressive and instinctual fighting ability than an ectomorph?

I think this is an interesting concept. In my opinion, from my experience, it has not been the case. I am an endo-mesomorph and have fought mesos to clear victories. In the boxing gym I went to, I saw young lean endomorphs (can tell by head and hand size) make many decisive victories against mesos and ectos. I'd say the most favored type, at least in boxing is, ecto-mesomorph.

Anyways, look at Fedor how many of the most gifted genetic monsters has beaten the fuck out of, with his endo-mesomorph physique. He's smashed a billion mesos flawlessly.

What do you guys think?

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Somatotypes are a myth and is a theory that has long been discredited. Of course different people and races have different body tendencies but the fact is: Most people are a “combination” of these three, which begs the question of why there are three types that very few people fall exclusively under? Also, muscularity seems to completely skew these “bodytypes” since it can often depend more on the training/nutrition aspect as well as lifestyle rather than the genetic.

Look at Brock Lesnar for example. He is really thick and clearly has a natural propensity to add muscle (meso). Yet at the same time he’s tall and has really long limbs too (ecto) and a huge torso and waist (endo)

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:
Look at Brock Lesnar for example. He is really thick and clearly has a natural propensity to add muscle (meso). Yet at the same time he’s tall and has really long limbs too (ecto) and a huge torso and waist (endo)[/quote]

I’ve never thought about that before…short torso and long limbs are traits that are not common in Caucasian people. At least,not to the degree of most black people.

The concept of Somatype is a joke. Do you define somatype by a person in an untrained state? After trainging? If so, how much? There are many many examples of people completely transforming their bodies.

Finally, pancakes.

Brock Lesnar started using HGH at a pubescent state, I don’t really think he counts.

[quote]SpartanX wrote:
Brock Lesnar started using HGH at a pubescent state, I don’t really think he counts.[/quote]

Forget Brock then. Look at the entire human species. Somatotypes have long been disproven as valid science and now have the same credence as that science that different parts of the cranium hold different psychologic disposition and that if you have a certain head shape you are a criminal.

Now the only people who use them are “bro scientists” that talk about turning fat to muscle. A simple google search will reveal that much.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Nikiforos wrote:
Look at Brock Lesnar for example. He is really thick and clearly has a natural propensity to add muscle (meso). Yet at the same time he’s tall and has really long limbs too (ecto) and a huge torso and waist (endo)

I’ve never thought about that before…short torso and long limbs are traits that are not common in Caucasian people. At least,not to the degree of most black people.

[/quote]

That’s kind of true. There is certainly a lot of different traits that different ethnicities have that are distinguishable. That’s another reason why somatotypes are complete bunk. Most people I know that are from a very similar geographic place as I am have: broad shoulders and big traps, long and not very thick limbs, slim waists, very lower body dominant with strong legs and relatively weak torsoes. That’s pretty much all three somatotypes into one.

Instead of somatypes, a grey concept at best, the primary determinate of success is speed. If you can hit first, you’ll likely win. Throw in the rest of the package (skill, strength, endurance) and you’ll succeed.

Of course, that’s for MMA. In street fighting (where most fights last 20 seconds or less) speed and strength are dominant.

…is not an indication of success. Case in point, BJ Penn, Emelianenko, etc.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Instead of somatypes, a grey concept at best, the primary determinate of success is speed. If you can hit first, you’ll likely win. Throw in the rest of the package (skill, strength, endurance) and you’ll succeed.
[/quote]

Speed is a function of timing more than a natural inclination. Speed don’t mean shit without timing.

Absolutely.

To use a quote of Manfred Wolke, successful German boxing coach:
“A jab doesn’t have to be fast, it has to be surprising!”

Quickness alone is pretty much nothing.
Every new honcho thinks he got “fast hands”. Without the feeling for the right ryth, the moment, the ability to steer the fight into a certain place and pace, without experience how to capitalize on your speedy strikes…you better hope you catch someone off guard.

i never understand the meaning of rhythm and all that stuff…can someone chime in…when im fighting i dont think of rythym? lol

[quote]rasturai wrote:
i never understand the meaning of rhythm and all that stuff…can someone chime in…when im fighting i dont think of rythym? lol[/quote]

It’s not something you think about, it just is (at least with boxing.) Everything is rhythm.

When you hear someone hitting the pads, it’s pop-bang. Pop bang. 1-2. Pop bang.

Double jab- pop pop bang. pop pop bang. 1-1-2. Jumping rope is the same- repetitive motion, repetitive sounds, all in rhythm. When you’re boxing, the odds are is you’ll fall into some kind of rhythm- the long (front to back) or the short (bobbing side to side.) Taller fighters tend to do the former (Ali), while shorter ones do the latter (Frazier.) It’s hard for me to describe, but we all do it.

Floyd Mayweather talks a little about this at about 2:15 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqOJp9Wmayo

ahh yes i know what you mean now…i do this quite a bit actually…sometimes i pause and stop completely lol…and then do a flurry of punches and back off, take it slower, speed it up…medium…zig zag…all sorts of different things…but i asked about rhythm cause I never think of this stuff when I’m doing it…it just happens…i just move around and i dont think of how I’m going to move I just do my own thing…it seems to be working for me…something i’ve always had naturally

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
rasturai wrote:
i never understand the meaning of rhythm and all that stuff…can someone chime in…when im fighting i dont think of rythym? lol

It’s not something you think about, it just is (at least with boxing.) Everything is rhythm.

When you hear someone hitting the pads, it’s pop-bang. Pop bang. 1-2. Pop bang.

Double jab- pop pop bang. pop pop bang. 1-1-2. Jumping rope is the same- repetitive motion, repetitive sounds, all in rhythm. When you’re boxing, the odds are is you’ll fall into some kind of rhythm- the long (front to back) or the short (bobbing side to side.) Taller fighters tend to do the former (Ali), while shorter ones do the latter (Frazier.) It’s hard for me to describe, but we all do it.

Floyd Mayweather talks a little about this at about 2:15 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqOJp9Wmayo[/quote]

Sick clip. I’ve only been getting into boxing in the past couple of months as my “base” is in judo and I do a lot of kickboxing. Floyd’s skill is world class among the elite. He is just one of those athletes that you look at, you can tell they’ve spent more hours perfecting their art than anything else in their life. A Jordan, a Michael Johnson, a Pele or Maradona.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
ahh yes i know what you mean now…i do this quite a bit actually…sometimes i pause and stop completely lol…and then do a flurry of punches and back off, take it slower, speed it up…medium…zig zag…all sorts of different things…but i asked about rhythm cause I never think of this stuff when I’m doing it…it just happens…i just move around and i dont think of how I’m going to move I just do my own thing…it seems to be working for me…something i’ve always had naturally[/quote]

No one really does think about it. It’s inherent, and everyone’s got their different variations. That’s what Floyd was saying- it’s more difficult to actually fight without rhythm, and to stop yourself from doing it.