T Nation

Somato-Sensory Conditioning

Once we get

1. that the nervous system governs everything in the body
  2. that we’re designed for survival, not performance and that a perceived or actual threat to the sytem will cause some degree of performance shut down
  3. then training is progressive threat modulation and adapatation

TO that end:
great conditioning includes skills training not just for musculo-skeletal growth but for
proprioceptive
vestibular and visual skills too
a la http://www.begin2dig.com/2010/03/sports-training-other-side-of-weight.html

That being said, here’s an example of visual skills training in action: guys are doing a cognitive somato-sensory task with their upper bodies while doing a sports skill task with their lower bodies, with peripheral vision work being introduced progressively

IT takes awhile to work up to this kind of interaction, but the payoff is that when there’s lots of stuff going on on the field, these guys have lots of non-contact practice in processing that information and managing it.

mc

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Sure said is good
AndFor football players as described here
With emphasis on field work
this drill is pretty said-specific, no?
Without adding in real time players which might add too much stress in advance of adaptation
That’s one thing
T’other is that I made the assumption that folks get out of the gym from time to time and challenge ourselves beyond the sagital plain and working/playing with other folks
Apologies
mc

[quote] My interaction with ‘other folks’ is limited mainly to conversation and therapy, lol.

BBB[/quote]

lucky to get that with that big sword in your mitt, i guess. good for you.

ever read snow crash?

mc

This article has some interesting points to add to the discussion, if you can get your hands on it:

Conditioning the Visual System: A Practical Perspective on Visual Conditioning in Rugby Football
Meir, Rudi MA, CSCS Strength and Conditioning Journal. August 2005 - Volume 27 - Issue 4. I managed to read a hard copy of it but couldn’t access one online because of subscriptions.

[quote]Hurricane Tasher wrote:
This article has some interesting points to add to the discussion, if you can get your hands on it:

Conditioning the Visual System: A Practical Perspective on Visual Conditioning in Rugby Football
Meir, Rudi MA, CSCS Strength and Conditioning Journal. August 2005 - Volume 27 - Issue 4. I managed to read a hard copy of it but couldn’t access one online because of subscriptions. [/quote]

thanks for the ref. that’s great
mc

I’ll do all that and become the Kwisatz Haderach!

NO problem. Share your thoughts when you’re done reading it? I also have the testimony of coaches involved with rugby. Apparently, the last 2 rugby world cup winners have something in common- visual condition. A coach worked with the Australian rugby squad (“the Wallabies”) and won the tournament with them. She left them and went to work with the Springboks of South Africa and they are the current holders. The IRB player of the year that same year, Brian Habana, as fast as he is said he felt he was a better player after he had worked and trained under her. It was a rather lengthy process though, as they started off the playing field completely. the SAID principle was used, but it was a long time in coming!