Solid Training Programs?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
I don’t know what it’s called but I recall someone, somewhere doing this type of ‘plan’:

• Pick a bodypart/group and train it one day (eg. “Chest”) using several sets of reps of your choosing (eg. 3-4 sets of 6 to 10 reps).
  • Pick another body part and train it the next day (eg. “Legs” or “Back” or “Something not what you did the day before”
  • Eat a fuckton of food throughout the day making sure to get a fuckton of protein
  • Sleep
  • Repeat until all bodyparts are trained at least once for the week.
  • Check to see if you’re getting bigger/stronger, if not, adjust accordingly

Has anyone ever done this one?[/quote]

Nah, I never tried anything like that. I know people highly recommend the creatinez with this kind of training, and I’m trying to stay natural.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
I don’t know what it’s called but I recall someone, somewhere doing this type of ‘plan’:

• Pick a bodypart/group and train it one day (eg. “Chest”) using several sets of reps of your choosing (eg. 3-4 sets of 6 to 10 reps).
  • Pick another body part and train it the next day (eg. “Legs” or “Back” or “Something not what you did the day before”
  • Eat a fuckton of food throughout the day making sure to get a fuckton of protein
  • Sleep
  • Repeat until all bodyparts are trained at least once for the week.
  • Check to see if you’re getting bigger/stronger, if not, adjust accordingly

Has anyone ever done this one?[/quote]

Thanks big guy. OP, as you see this is not about seeing what you’re gonna do, but getting to do it, see what happens, evaluate, and change if needed.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]jason1234 wrote:

I am not looking to develop my own program because I believe there are people out there who specialize in this stuff who would do a better job. My time would be better spent following someone else who is a master of this sport.

Does anyone know of any great long term training programs?

Thanks,
Jason[/quote]

Your heart is in the right place. You are brand new to the sport and are looking for direction from people who are veterans. However, you must understand that we are going to be talking a different language than you because we are in vastly different places in our training lives. As an analogy, you are a little league football player who simply needs to learn how to put on his shoulder pads, get into a 3 point stance, and learn how to form tackle. You really don’t want to get into a discussion with Bill Billichek on the intricacies of a 3-4 defense and a blitz complex.

Start with something like the Bill starr 5x5. Train hard, eat right, set goals. Thats your first 30-40 lbs of muscle and your initial strength right there. As you go along, constantly ask questions of your body… What works, what doesn’t. Then seek answers to those problems as they arise. One day you will be completely comfortable writing your own program which is taylor-made by your own experiences.[/quote]

Now there you go giving rational, useful advice again!

It’s not clear what OP’s goals are. He’s done Sheiko so it sounds as if he may be powerlifting oriented (then why post in Bodybuilding?). OP-- what are goals?

I started out with a 5x5 template (maddog? madcow? something like that). I honestly believe that I’d have progressed faster and learned more faster with a more traditional bodypart split (in bodybuilding terms).

I’ll give you my program.

Day 1: Chest, back and abs

Incline bb press
Flat bench
Dips
Flyes ss with pushups

Pullups
bb rows
db rows
Lat pulldowns

situps and the plank

Day 2: Legs, lower back and abs

Squats
Deadlifts
Lunges
Leg curls ss with leg extensions
Calf raises

situps and the plank

Day 3: Delts, arms and abs

MP
Side laterals
Rear delt machine
Upright rows

Close grip bench
Extensions of some type
Chins
Curls of some type

situps and the plank

Ramp up to 2-3 sets to failure and move on to the next exercise, throw in rest pauses, dropsets, forced reps or whatever if you feel great, if not leave it at that. When you can do 10 or more reps with a weight pile on some more next time.

I personally like doing alot of cardio so I prefer lifting 3 days a week so I can do cardio on off days, if you would like to lift more often feel free to split up bodyparts more like earlier suggested.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]jason1234 wrote:

I am not looking to develop my own program because I believe there are people out there who specialize in this stuff who would do a better job. My time would be better spent following someone else who is a master of this sport.

Does anyone know of any great long term training programs?

Thanks,
Jason[/quote]

Your heart is in the right place. You are brand new to the sport and are looking for direction from people who are veterans. However, you must understand that we are going to be talking a different language than you because we are in vastly different places in our training lives. As an analogy, you are a little league football player who simply needs to learn how to put on his shoulder pads, get into a 3 point stance, and learn how to form tackle. You really don’t want to get into a discussion with Bill Billichek on the intricacies of a 3-4 defense and a blitz complex.

Start with something like the Bill starr 5x5. Train hard, eat right, set goals. Thats your first 30-40 lbs of muscle and your initial strength right there. As you go along, constantly ask questions of your body… What works, what doesn’t. Then seek answers to those problems as they arise. One day you will be completely comfortable writing your own program which is taylor-made by your own experiences.[/quote]

Thanks MODOK. I appreciate the helpful response. I’ll start with something simple and learn from it.