T Nation

Solid Training Advice Please!

Hi all,

I have been working out for around 3 years now and although i had some really great progress to start with my growth has really come to a stop over the last 6 -8 months. In fact I think i’ve shrunk since my avi taken about 2-3 months ago.

I have been consistently training however it has come to my attention that others in my gym seem to be progressing much faster using slightly different training principles. I have always shot for strength orientated programs like 5x5, BGB, upper / lower splits, ect predominately in the 5-6 rep range with long rest intervals and low TUT. I’ve got strong from these programs for certain, my bench is up to 170kg X 3, Squats 180 X 6, 85kg Press X6, Deadlift 200kg. However I am really seeking to start improving my size and I would like some advice on how to go about this. I am as strong as some guys who hold at least 20kg more muscle than me at the gym, although its fun I am training for muscle size but was advised to shoot for strength at first.

I understand there are loads of articles on here but I’m looking for some solid advice from a member. I have been looking at programs such as HST, I quite like the high frequency low volume methodology.

Any advice on solid solid proven programs for natural bodybuilders would be really appreciated. I would also like some feedback regarding the TUT because I believe the significantly low TUT I have been training in has lead to greater strength gains and less size gains. It is also important to note I am currently at about 16-18% BF which I am currently in the process of cutting down before adding the mass again. I am just researching options for 8-10 weeks time at the moment, unless of course there would be benefit in me adopting this straight away.

I hope all this makes sense… Feel free to post questions if I have made some stupid mistakes or have missed any details!!!

I really appreciate all your support, time and help!!

ZzS

Why is your bench press max almost as good as your squat max?

[quote]Consul wrote:
Why is your bench press max almost as good as your squat max?[/quote]

Really strong chest / triceps. Always been strong with pushing movements before i started training, competing in shot put and throwing events. I do train legs :slight_smile:

[quote]ZzSpartan wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:
Why is your bench press max almost as good as your squat max?[/quote]

Really strong chest / triceps. Always been strong with pushing movements before i started training, competing in shot put and throwing events. I do train legs :)[/quote]

LOL I see.

I’m no expert in gaining mass, but the thread the other commenter linked in this thread would be a good place to start :slight_smile:

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]ZzSpartan wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:
Why is your bench press max almost as good as your squat max?[/quote]

Really strong chest / triceps. Always been strong with pushing movements before i started training, competing in shot put and throwing events. I do train legs :)[/quote]

LOL I see.

I’m no expert in gaining mass, but the thread the other commenter linked in this thread would be a good place to start :slight_smile:
[/quote]

haha, its a weird thing. I train my legs 2x a week and chest 1x - 0.5x a week; as you rightly pointed out there isnt that much difference really!

Thanks for your input anyway :slight_smile:

Just eat more

[quote]ZzSpartan wrote:

I have been consistently training however it has come to my attention that others in my gym seem to be progressing much faster using slightly different training principles… I am as strong as some guys who hold at least 20kg more muscle than me at the gym.
[/quote]

Ask them what they are doing and adjust accordingly.

I recently started dropsetting the shit out of my leg workouts, lke every second week on the last set of some of the exercises… seems to be working

[quote]ZzSpartan wrote:
I have been consistently training however it has come to my attention that others in my gym seem to be progressing much faster using slightly different training principles. I have always shot for strength orientated programs like 5x5, BGB, upper / lower splits, ect predominately in the 5-6 rep range with long rest intervals and low TUT.
[/quote]

You’ve seen people getting better gains and training differently to you yet you. Copy them. Stop training for strength.

Train for size… strength will come… Drop sets etc… Train for the pump period and train as heavy as you can without sacrificing strict form to achieve said pump… My rep ranges on any given bodypart range from 6-50… If I pyramid up and I get to a point where I am sacrificing my form then I drop the weight.

[quote]Swolle wrote:
Train for size… strength will come… Drop sets etc… Train for the pump period and train as heavy as you can without sacrificing strict form to achieve said pump… My rep ranges on any given bodypart range from 6-50… If I pyramid up and I get to a point where I am sacrificing my form then I drop the weight. [/quote]

That sounds really complicated. Is there an IPhone app for that? …LOL

Yeah real complicated… I realize this deviates from the powerlifter mentality.

[quote]Swolle wrote:
Yeah real complicated… I realize this deviates from the powerlifter mentality.
[/quote]

Hold on big guy…I totally agree, my post was with my 'tongue-in-cheek.

Sorry bro… I thought it was easy to follow… Nice to see you running some reps… Im guessing with age your training style has changed… Pretty tough to ride the low rep train into your 50s… Props for still being in the game… Honest question no smart ass… Does that squat qualify in competition? I know it doesn’t matter but it looks a few inches or better high… Great weight though… I haven’t squatted over 500 in years but I squat to the floor now. I just have a mechanical advantage with short femurs… Doesnt make mine any better just different. Ive squatted both ways parallel and deep… I just like ass to grass with less weight and so do my knees.

[quote]Swolle wrote:
Sorry bro… I thought it was easy to follow… Nice to see you running some reps… Im guessing with age your training style has changed… Pretty tough to ride the low rep train into your 50s… Props for still being in the game… Honest question no smart ass… Does that squat qualify in competition? I know it doesn’t matter but it looks a few inches or better high… Great weight though… I haven’t squatted over 500 in years but I squat to the floor now. I just have a mechanical advantage with short femurs… Doesnt make mine any better just different. Ive squatted both ways parallel and deep… I just like ass to grass with less weight and so do my knees. [/quote]

No…that depth would not get white lights in contest, but is plenty deep to make the legs grow. I’ve never met a squat I didn’t like and certainly go deeper at times. I have a 13" box and figure that is my meet depth, I’m currently working it with one 45 plate (1") on it. I’ve always had more variation in my routines and ran longer macro-cycles than most lifters. I got started in the mid 80’s and volume, volume, volume was the word. You understand the concept, and it shows. You are correct about that ‘low rep train’. I have to pick and choose, the problem isn’t getting the work done, it’s recovering to train again. I appreciate a good day more than I used to.
Best Of Luck

I hear you and 40 is closing on me fast… I can tell you I don’t feel like I did ten years ago. I’m all volume at this point … I still hit a 1rm every now and again but it just doesn’t pay any more.

read some John Meadows/mountain dog articles