Soldog's Training

[quote]skidmark wrote:
You’ve got a good frame for carrying muscle and getting strong. Large joints.[/quote]

Thanks Skid!

Hopefully I’ll be able to put on some muscle once I loose that pot belly! Strength wise I’ve already made gains - pitiful as they may be…

[quote]QuarterTonner wrote:
Welcome to the gang!!! Nice to see another newbie with a sense of humor! I hope you find ways to get closer to your goals; if we can be of help, just ask, I’m sure you will get plenty of great advice![/quote]

Thanks for the welcome QuarterTonner! Advice I need plenty of and will welcome every bit of it!

Today’s workout: 45 minutes of chipping ice and shoveling snow attempting to reclaim the edges of our driveway…

Love the “most Muscular” pose in the first picture. You’re an animal!! See you’ve got a good water source to stay hydrated, too. You might want to try a good depilatory cream, though. You and DZ need to get together an author some kind of outdoor winter workout plan.

Seriously though, lots of potiential. One suggestion, and bear in mind I’m far from an expert on bodybuilding, throw in some pullups. Work the Lats to get that spread and it will help get you a more tapered look. Bent rows always make my lats fill “thicker” but not so much wider. Hope that makes sense. Question: what altitute are you at? Keep at it you’re doing great.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Love the “most Muscular” pose in the first picture. You’re an animal!! See you’ve got a good water source to stay hydrated, too. You might want to try a good depilatory cream, though. You and DZ need to get together an author some kind of outdoor winter workout plan.

Seriously though, lots of potiential. One suggestion, and bear in mind I’m far from an expert on bodybuilding, throw in some pullups. Work the Lats to get that spread and it will help get you a more tapered look. Bent rows always make my lats fill “thicker” but not so much wider. Hope that makes sense. Question: what altitute are you at? Keep at it you’re doing great.[/quote]

Thanks Hel! I was playing with that pose a bit. Not quite the 98lb weakling but close. I need all that hair to stay warm in the winter.

Pullups: I’ve contemplating adding them. This right shoulder issue has been holding me back. I just have been able to start push-ups recently with the improved shoulder strength. It’s time to start the pullups even if they are sets of 1.

We live at 9700ft and have a view of Pike’s Peak to the south and the continental divide to the west. It’s a great place to live but the wind and snow to tend to get old after 20 years.

So I don’t train for a couple of days and my right shoulder joint starts hurting nearly non-stop most while driving. What’s up with that???

Easy training night at Karate. Only 3 students because of spring break. Learned the second half of Ni Seshi and practiced it a couple dozen times.

Shoulder is doing better today. I was able to bang out 15 good push-ups before it twinged.

Skiing tomorrow…

Look at Eric Cressey’s Shoulder Savers series on the site. He may have them listed on his site too - www.ericcressey.com. They’re all about keeping the rotator cuff healthy.

Welcome to the club Soldog. I wish my company offer benefits like yours, that’s cool. Dude, I didn’t know anyone lived at 9700 feet! I used to climb the biggest mountains in the LA basin and they were only just above 10,000, and I could hardly breath. Great work on your fat loss program, I agree with QT, you’ve got a frame that can hold some serious muscle.

[quote]daddyzombie wrote:
Welcome to the club Soldog. I wish my company offer benefits like yours, that’s cool. Dude, I didn’t know anyone lived at 9700 feet! I used to climb the biggest mountains in the LA basin and they were only just above 10,000, and I could hardly breath. Great work on your fat loss program, I agree with QT, you’ve got a frame that can hold some serious muscle.[/quote]

Thanks DZ - There are a number of us up here in Colorado. Probably does really good things for my VO2 Max living up here.

Just got home from skiing. about 6 hours on the slopes and we are both fried.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
Look at Eric Cressey’s Shoulder Savers series on the site. He may have them listed on his site too - www.ericcressey.com. They’re all about keeping the rotator cuff healthy.[/quote]

Thanks skidmark - I’m looking up that series right now.

Karate night much like Monday. Got some good reps on kata along with corrections.

Another 6 hours on the slopes with my son. Ate crap and drank beer. All in all a good day. I will pay for this week next week…LOL

Yet another ski day. Today my son tried the snowboard again - which meant I went off on my own and fried my quads…

Hey there Soldog… W/O’s looking good, and skiing is definately a workout in itself!
You mentioned chin ups (wide grip palms out is what you want) on my thread… since you don’t have an assist machine, consider having a bench or cardio steps available as the assist. You can either have it below you and ‘cheat’ on the concentric move and full weight on the eccentric (down), or have it behind you and have the toes on it to assist as you hit a sticking point. (I generally have my ankles crossed and the knees bent anyways)
Keep on Rockin’!
X

Howdy Mr.X, Thanks for the comments. I’ll probably find out tomorrow how I do on the pullups. Today was another ski day - last one for spring break. Back to work and a normal schedule on Monday.

So, I did get off my butt on this lazy Sunday afternoon and went down the hill to the gym. I had a surprise waiting for me. The gym scale put my weight at 189.75 lbs pre-workout. That’s down from 193lbs before my last weight training session 10 days ago and after 10 days of pretty much eating crap. Too much Coca-cola, fries, beer and popcorn - guess I’ll call it carb loading and believe that the skiing was actually harder than it felt.

Warm up: Mobility Complex - seemed much easier but still got me breathing hard and sweating.

Full Back squats: 155lbs 3X10
still having form and balance issues, I should probably go up in weight but I’m not sure because of the form and balance issues. Any suggestions?

DB Straight leg/back dead lift: 155lbs 3x10
can really feel these in my hamstrings and glutes, easy enough I’ll add weight Tuesday.

Single leg calf raise (Smith machine): 100lbs 3x10
Went to the Smith machine because I needed more weight but my grip wasn’t up to it. Should go up in weight.

Pull ups (wide grip): 3/2/2 +6 assisted
These replaced the DB bent over rows. I need to figure out a better assist platform to push on with my toes for the assist. Was actually surprised to do any at all unassisted.

DB bench press; 42.5lbs 3x10
Only struggled on the last one. Go to 45lbs next time.

DB shoulder press: 22.5lbs 10/10/7
Shoulders were tired out from the pull ups?

DB curl: 22.5lbs 3x10
Is flaring your elbows out as you curl cheating on this exercise?

Assisted Dips: 5/4/3
Had an electric nerve tingle up my right tri into my shoulder on these. Even assisted that’s all I could do.

Leg/hip raise: 10lbs 3x10
Hadn’t written what I did last session. Need to go to 20 lbs.

53 minutes and 572 cals

65 minutes on the bike doing heart rate hills
total of 1368 cals burned

2 liters of H2O consumed during workout

Post WO weight 189lbs

Dan John’s Squat Video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744&hl

Stay at that weight, unless it feels light. It may be that you don’t have enough weight on the bar to force your body to the full squat position and you’re having to draw yourself down to full squat rather than descending. Being a skier it’s likely that your legs are pretty strong…

Well, I don’t see how flaring the elbows actually helps lift the weight. I can see how it would cause you to round the shoulder, which would become more of a movement pattern problem for the shoulder blade if it progresses. I would drop weight and keep form - which is easy to say. Still fighting on a number of fronts myself on that one, though after herniating a disk it’s a little easier to convince myself that lifting longevity is more important than one-lift bragging rights.

That nerve shock on the dips has me concerned. How does decline bench feel?

[quote]skidmark wrote:
Dan John’s Squat Video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744&hl

Stay at that weight, unless it feels light. It may be that you don’t have enough weight on the bar to force your body to the full squat position and you’re having to draw yourself down to full squat rather than descending. Being a skier it’s likely that your legs are pretty strong…

Well, I don’t see how flaring the elbows actually helps lift the weight. I can see how it would cause you to round the shoulder, which would become more of a movement pattern problem for the shoulder blade if it progresses. I would drop weight and keep form - which is easy to say. Still fighting on a number of fronts myself on that one, though after herniating a disk it’s a little easier to convince myself that lifting longevity is more important than one-lift bragging rights.

That nerve shock on the dips has me concerned. How does decline bench feel?[/quote]

Thanks for the link - a 50 minute video has to wait until after work to watch.

I so new to lifting that I’ve never done a decline bench - actually the only bench I have done are the DB bench presses currently in my program. They feel fine. I’ll try some decline DB bench presses on Tuesday to see how they feel.

Prior to this week I’ve been doing lying down triceps extensions and have had some twinges similar to the sensation I got on during the dips. I was thinking it was a nerve stretch thing during an unfamiliar movement.