T Nation

Soldog's Training

So here I am in my 47th year having just started weight training in October right around my 46th birthday. I’m lucky enough to work for a company that keeps a fairly complete health & wellness facility with consultants on staff. So I went in to see one last October and had the following stats:

Height: 72 inches
Weight: 209 pounds
Chest: 43.5 in
Upper Arm: 14 in
Thigh: 23.25 in
Waist: 40.5 in
Hip: 43.5 in

And these caliper measurements
Chest: 22.8 mm
Abdominal : 27.8 mm
Thigh: 16.4 mm

giving me 22% body fat

Started doing a weight routine along with treadmill & stationary bike workouts in addition to 90 minute Karate classes Mondays and Wednesdays.

Had a follow-up visit the 7th of Feb.

Height: 72 inches
Weight: 209 lbs --> 193 lbs
Chest: 43.5 in --> 41.5
Upper Arm: 14 in --> 14
Thigh: 23.25 in --> 22
Waist: 40.5 in --> 38
Hip: 43.5 in --> 41.25

And these caliper measurements
Chest: 22.8 mm --> 15.8
Abdominal : 27.8 mm --> 23.4
Thigh: 16.4 mm --> 12

giving me 22% body fat --> 17%

4 lb lean mass loss and 12 lb fat loss (if I believe the body fat percentages based on only 3 sites. Which I don’t really believe are accurate but they will provide a trend.)

Current weight is 189 lbs
Current training program:
Whole body workout Tuesday/Thursday/Weekend when possible
Back Squat 3x10 155lbs
Straight leg/back deadlift 3x10 155lbs
DB single leg calf raise 3x10 85lbs
DB bent over row 3x10 60 lbs
DB Bench press 3x10 45 lbs
DB shoulder press 3x10 20 lbs
DB curl 3x10 25 lbs
DB lying triceps extension 20 lbs
vertical leg/hip raise 3x20
other misc ab work

Current goals are to gain strength & loose the belly,
Mountain Bike some serious trails this summer,
Focus on the weights & muscle gain in the fall.

Nice work! Keep hammering away.Best of training to you.

[quote]Jimmy T wrote:
Nice work! Keep hammering away.Best of training to you.[/quote]

Thanks Jimmy!

I just keep pluggin’ away and don’t let the slip-ups bug me too much.

18 March 2008
Since today is a Tuesday - it must be a weight training day!

Pre-workout weight 191

Warm-up: The mobility complex with 45 lb bar

Full Back squats: 155lbs 3X10
Still working on getting the full depth (ATG) on the 3rd set
Balance needs work to keep weight on my heels

DB Straight leg/back dead lift: 155lbs 3x10
Getting more flexibility/depth, really feeling it in my gluts & hamstrings

DB single leg calf raise: 85 lbs 3x10
The limiting factor here is my grip. I can hold on for that 3rd set.

DB bent over row: 65 lbs 2x10 & 8
range of motion suffered on that last set

DB upright row: 25lbs 3x10
Right shoulder issue on the last few reps, This is a chronic problem getting much better with the weight training. This artical could have been written about me not too long ago: http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1546556

DB bench press; 40lbs 3x10
Need to go up on the weight

DB shoulder press: 20lbs 3x10
Shoulder issue again

DB curl: 20lbs 3x10
need to go up in weight

DB lying triceps extension: 15lbs 3x10
Interesting since my right tri is bruised. Need to go to 20 lbs

Leg/Hip raise: 3x20
Probably should add weight. But abs are also worked on Karate nights.

Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) said 665 kcals burned in the 55 min workout

30 minutes of cycling with Heart Rate (HR) around 139
Total: 1120 kcal burned

1 liter H2O consumed
Post workout weight 189.5

Congrats on the weight lose. Looks like a well thought out plan. That’s a pretty good fringe benefit with the consultants and all. How many of the employees take advantage of it? I’ve use several consultants,too. “You can do one more rep you wimp!” Give me advise on bodyfat, too. “You got a tumor in your stomach?” Welcome aboard.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Congrats on the weight lose. Looks like a well thought out plan. That’s a pretty good fringe benefit with the consultants and all. How many of the employees take advantage of it? I’ve use several consultants,too. “You can do one more rep you wimp!” Give me advise on bodyfat, too. “You got a tumor in your stomach?” Welcome aboard.[/quote]

Too funny! Yeah I’ve got a tumor in my stomach! 25lbs of fat!
We are a fairly large company and keep 3 trainers busy at two facilities but as a Wild Ass Guess (WAG) maybe 1% of the population ever takes advantage.

Thanks for the welcome!

Today was Karate training. This is something I did for a decade in my younger years and just picked up again in the last 2 years. I must say that the weight training and the cardio work (not to mention the fat going away) has improved my Karate form as well.

30 minutes conditioning exercises
60 minutes varied martial arts technique training
Weighted punches/kicks from stances
Kata training and critique.

I guess about 700-800 kcal burn.

20 March 2008
That Karate workout last night or the chips I ate or maybe the short night of sleep really took its toll on me today. Tired, swollen ankles and hands, no energy to start the workout. So I did it anyway…

Pre-workout weight 193 (water gain from the salt on the chips)

Warm-up: The mobility complex with 45 lb bar (This kicked my butt more than usual)

almost fell over on the second set, slowed down and completed the 3rd set with a little better form (as best I can tell from the mirror)

feeling a little better by now

DB bent over row: 65 lbs 2x10 & 9

shoulder felt good today working out but bothered me during the day at the computer

DB bench press; 42.5lbs 3x10
struggled on the last couple

DB shoulder press: 22.5lbs 3x10
tough going on the last one

DB curl: 22.5lbs 3x10

DB lying triceps extension: 20lbs 3x10
felt good today

Leg/Hip raise: 4x10
10lb DB between the feet

Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) said 540 kcals burned in the 52 min workout a little faster but burned less

40 minutes of cycling doing HR hills
Total: 1000 kcal burned

1 liter H2O consumed
Post workout weight 191.5

Nice job powering thru. Some of the best workouts are the ones you don’t feel like doing!

[quote]Colin Wilson wrote:
Nice job powering thru. Some of the best workouts are the ones you don’t feel like doing![/quote]

Thanks - i am feeling it pretty good right now…

BTW - Remember on Novagreg’s Physique Clinic thread: “Never mud wrestle with a pig, the pig just enjoys it and you just get filthy.”

LOL I’ll try and keep that in mind…

[quote]soldog wrote:
20 March 2008
That Karate workout last night or the chips I ate or maybe the short night of sleep really took its toll on me today. Tired, swollen ankles and hands, no energy to start the workout. So I did it anyway…

Pre-workout weight 193 (water gain from the salt on the chips)

Warm-up: The mobility complex with 45 lb bar (This kicked my butt more than usual)

almost fell over on the second set, slowed down and completed the 3rd set with a little better form (as best I can tell from the mirror)

feeling a little better by now

DB bent over row: 65 lbs 2x10 & 9

shoulder felt good today working out but bothered me during the day at the computer

DB bench press; 42.5lbs 3x10
struggled on the last couple

DB shoulder press: 22.5lbs 3x10
tough going on the last one

DB curl: 22.5lbs 3x10

DB lying triceps extension: 20lbs 3x10
felt good today

Leg/Hip raise: 4x10
10lb DB between the feet

Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) said 540 kcals burned in the 52 min workout a little faster but burned less

40 minutes of cycling doing HR hills
Total: 1000 kcal burned

1 liter H2O consumed
Post workout weight 191.5
[/quote]

Nice way to get 'er done. Half the battle is working up the spunk to get in the gym.

I can’t squat looking in a mirror. Aside from the fact that I have to look at my ugly self, it never fails to screw up my form. I just close my eyes or look up when I have to squat before a mirror (as in a commercial gym) stick my butt out and descend between my own legs. If I don’t feel it in my butt and hamstrings more than my back and thighs, I’m doing something wrong.

Thanks Skidmark, I’ll keep that in mind. Unfortunately - I’d probably fall over if I tried to squat with my eyes closed. I’m just too much a newbie.

This is the real Soldog…

Status photos

Please excuse the pale white body - It is after all still winter and yes that is snow at my feet and a snow storm in far background.

Last one - I promise

Today is the start of spring break vacation for me. Which is why I have some time on my hands today. The kids have all next week off and the boy and I plan on getting a lot of skiing done. Can’t talk my daughter into skiing for some reason. This is the first year I’ve done the spring break thing and my son and I are both looking forward to the week.

I won’t be lifting or biking this coming week but will do Karate in the evenings as long as I can still walk after skiing. Think of it as a de-loading week. LOL Not that I’ve lifting heavy enough to require a de-load week.

You’ve got a good frame for carrying muscle and getting strong. Large joints.

Welcome to the gang!!! Nice to see another newbie with a sense of humor! I hope you find ways to get closer to your goals; if we can be of help, just ask, I’m sure you will get plenty of great advice!