T Nation

Sokoudjou and Gurgel Pink- Slipped by the UFC

http://www.cagepotato.com/sokoudjou-and-gurgel-get-laid-more-ufc-news

It seems that the UFC is getting trigger happy lately. Although both of these guys underperformed, it seems like they still have time to develop into legit contenders down the road. Especially Sokoudjou as I believe he is 23 right now.

Gurgle on the other hand is getting up there and the question remains, why the hell didn’t he work his BJJ in the octagon!? Does anybody think we’ll see either one of these two back with the UFC any time soon?

[quote]mj_gk wrote:
http://www.cagepotato.com/sokoudjou-and-gurgel-get-laid-more-ufc-news

It seems that the UFC is getting trigger happy lately. Although both of these guys underperformed, it seems like they still have time to develop into legit contenders down the road.

Especially Sokoudjou as I believe he is 23 right now. Gurgle on the other hand is getting up there and the question remains, why the hell didn’t he work his BJJ in the octagon!? Does anybody think we’ll see either one of these two back with the UFC any time soon? [/quote]

Outside of the HW division,the UFC is incredibly stacked. It has to be a bit stressful, knowing that one or two losses could send you on your way. Having quality fighters in other promotions isn’t a bad thing though.

Both of these guys have underperformed. I think they are both better than their last few showings have indicated. Hopefully they can pull it together and we get to see a lot more of them. Both can be very entertaining.

Gurgel never reallly seemed to perform to where people thought he would…

it seems like his game plans in the cage aren’t very good or something. he might have injury issues, too, since i remember him getting his knee drained when he was on TUF for a torn ACL…

They should probably lay off Chuck before Anderson kills him.

These two I understand i guess they really under performed from expectations, even when fed opponents…

This is better for MMA as a sport. The UFC hogging popular fighters that are surplus to requirements and having them fight MAYBE 2 X a year is not only I imagine burdensome to them, but also to other orgs that want some decent fighters.

I can’t stand Gurgel, ever since TUF. Good riddance to him though his last fight was pretty good action-wise.

Sokoudjou joins Houston Alexander, James Thompson, Kimbo, Kimo et al in the “Look like Tarzan fight like Jane” category.

What always puzzled me was how Sokoudjou is supposed to be a judo ace, yet I never saw him hit a hard throw or slam.

I was always curious about Soko’s Judo as well. Perhaps it’s the adjustment to no-gi game, or even pressure to provide an exciting knockout, which I feel is what got to Gurgle as well.

Although, looking at Soko’s record it’s a bit more complicated that just saying he dropped 2 or his last 3 fights. He lost to Machida, which nobody considers a pushover, and Cane is a relative unknown and a dangerous striker. Don’t forget that Soko beat Nakamura(however unfortunate it was), and Naka was always considered a pretty solid Japanese fighter.

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
I can’t stand Gurgel, ever since TUF. Good riddance to him though his last fight was pretty good action-wise.

Sokoudjou joins Houston Alexander, James Thompson, Kimbo, Kimo et al in the “Look like Tarzan fight like Jane” category.

What always puzzled me was how Sokoudjou is supposed to be a judo ace, yet I never saw him hit a hard throw or slam.[/quote]

Soko was never considered a judo ace. He did jacket wrestling and passed it off as judo, but he doesn’t know judo. He won the US Open, and that isn’t a very big accomplishment considering how weak the US is in judo. I personally know 4 judoists who placed in last years US Open (all Japanese exchange students).

2 won gold, and another, Taka Ohkawa (was judo player in Human Weapon) was robbed by the refs and ended up with silver. Fun little tidbit… Soko and Karo met in a judo match and Karo was the victor. He was probably giving up around 40 pounds in the match (it was open weight tournament).

wow, though sokoudjou needs some serious work he has WAY more potential that that junie fellow on that stupid show does. soko is an entertaining fighter to watch, though I am starting to enjoy watching the ground game more as Im learning more bjj, strikers are always better to watch, and getting rid of one like soko is just stupid on dana’s part.

This sucks for Sokoudjou, but I look forward to hopefully affliction or sengoku picking him up since enjoy wathing him.

I went to Judo the other night and my instructor brought in an advertisement from a magazine that had Sokoudjou as the point of focus. This wouldn’t be big news usually, but it was a car advertisement. Something about safety, I forget exactly. He definitely has the appeal to be a big name.

It didn’t take Soko long to sign with another promotion. Affliction are working on him now. I don’t trust attencio very much, but this would be a great match up!

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13456/babalu-vs-sokoudjou-likely-for-day-of-reckoning.mma