T Nation

Softball Fans and Coaches!

[center]Monica Abbott; National Collegiate Player of the Year; bringing some HEAT, baby![/center]

Every year, the Division One Women’s Softball Tournament fascinates me, especially the pitching.

Questions:

1. Where do these Young Women get most of their pitching power from? Back? Hips? Legs? Other?

2. How do you pitch with that much power without leaving Rotator Cuffs on the field from New York to Texas?

Great stuff, guys! A real pure “Love of the Game” by these young women!

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
[center]Monica Abbott; National Collegiate Player of the Year; bringing some HEAT, baby![/center]

Every year, the Division One Women’s Softball Tournament fascinates me, especially the pitching.

Questions:

1. Where do these Young Women get most of their pitching power from? Back? Hips? Legs? Other?

2. How do you pitch with that much power without leaving Rotator Cuffs on the field from New York to Texas?

Great stuff, guys! A real pure “Love of the Game” by these young women!

Mufasa[/quote]

It’s almost all lower-extremity based power production. Take a look at the restrictions on some of these girls’ plant-leg quads/TFL/ITB and you’d get an appreciation for how much they use them.

Lots of factors play in to them staying healthy. Namely, it isn’t a classic overhead sport. External rotation + abduction = risky, especially with the smaller implement that travels faster.

www.EricCressey.com

Thanks, EC!

There really is some power behind those pitches…and it just seemed to me that if the power was coming mostly from the arms, that there would be some serious injury.

With that being said, it SEEMS like it would take some time to develop a technique that would allow both 1) power from the hips/lower extremities AND 2) ball placement.

Thoughts?

Mufasa

It truly is amazing watching Softball pitchers pitch. I used to do, and I can not tell you the mechanics of it or how to do it. It was just something that I did. I guess really you just learned from practice.

If you really want to watch some scary softball pitching though, try and find some senior men’s games to watch, and if you can get a seat where you can watch the ball the whole way in. You will be amazed with the movement that gets put on those balls. Its a sport that gets overlooked a fair bit, but it is one that is great to play and just as good to watch.