Sodium

am i getting enough? do i need to put some in my pwo drink/ meals?

i originally got into this game on a health (not vanity) kick. id read that sodium was BAD, knew lots of old, bloated men with red faces (i lived near a fishing port) and didnt want that to be my demise. but, as im not a fitness student, and have work to do in other areas, i never really conciled the issue of sodium with optimum health. brief bio- when i was young, i was very virile (troublemaker) and after some stoner lifestyle and the wu tang i decided to do well, which included that sodium removal. i know use none on food, eat low sodium products, mostly organic etc. but despite a high protein diet, with all the usual stuff thats good for u in it, i sometimes feel weak, like diabetic weak or something.

i have also been at about the same stage in my strength since this time, which is intensely frustrating. whats ur views on sodium? do u massive strong guys put salt on ur chicken? give me sum advice

Unless you suffer from HBP, or some other medical condition, sodium consumption isn’t something you need to worry about.

On the flip side of the coin, how much of the “recommended” daily allowance is really recommended?

For instance, I usually drink a can of V8 with my lunch. Don’t have it in front of me right now, but I think it contains about 900mg of sodium. One guy I was training with remarked “that’s a lot of sodium…” when I told him I drink the V8 (I didn’t give any hard numbers, so unless he knew off the top of his head).

Unless I’m mistaken, one of the main side effects of sodium intake is water retention?

Sorry if this is a newbie question… seems like the more nutritional info I read, the less I know.

Thanks,
Bob

Normally people are concerned about eliminating excess sodium from their diet not adding it. Sodium is pretty standard in just about every food you buy at the supermarket.

D

[quote]Norwell Bob wrote:
On the flip side of the coin, how much of the “recommended” daily allowance is really recommended?

For instance, I usually drink a can of V8 with my lunch. Don’t have it in front of me right now, but I think it contains about 900mg of sodium. One guy I was training with remarked “that’s a lot of sodium…” when I told him I drink the V8 (I didn’t give any hard numbers, so unless he knew off the top of his head).

Unless I’m mistaken, one of the main side effects of sodium intake is water retention?

Sorry if this is a newbie question… seems like the more nutritional info I read, the less I know.

Thanks,
Bob[/quote]

Bob, yes sodium will cause water retention. That is why bodybuilders cutting down for a contest will eliminate it from their diets to get rid of water and get that shredded dry look.

D

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Normally people are concerned about eliminating excess sodium from their diet not adding it. Sodium is pretty standard in just about every food you buy at the supermarket.

D[/quote]

Not if your buying REAL whole food like many here are.

I add salt quite a bit have great BP etc. I like the taste and yes many go over board and take to much out if training hard sweating a lot you need that intake. As well as the other electrolytes.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Norwell Bob wrote:

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, yes sodium will cause water retention. That is why bodybuilders cutting down for a contest will eliminate it from their diets to get rid of water and get that shredded dry look.

D[/quote]

Its only temporary as if if you make a sudden drastic change from NON or little to a LOT. Once your body is used to your current sodium intake it expells the excess.

Positive being you will get to a normal non bloated level while soduim is high then if you have a Photo shoot etc want to get ripped you can get extra lean looking by dropping it for a short period of time. Hence why longer term sodium LOADING prior to a show has become a thing then drop it a few days out.