T Nation

Sockeye Salmon?

My supermarket only has sockeye salmon for wild caught…is this the same as pacific salmon?? Maybe this was a dumb question, but I’ve never dabbled in Salmon before

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
My supermarket only has sockeye salmon for wild caught…is this the same as pacific salmon?? Maybe this was a dumb question, but I’ve never dabbled in Salmon before[/quote]

Yep, it’s Pacific and my fish of choice. You won’t find any wild Atlantic salmon in the stores.

cool, thanks!

looks at 10 pound bags of cheap, fishy, frozen tilapia

kicks dirt for being poor

I wish I could buy wild fish.

Sockeye is one of the best ones, very rich in flavor. The wild Alaskan season starts up soon in a few months!

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:

I wish I could buy wild fish.[/quote]
Tilapia is fishy? It’s so bland and mild.

The sockeye canned salmon is actually pretty good. Its around $3.00 for 7-8oz

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:

Tilapia is fishy? It’s so bland and mild.[/quote]

Cheap Tilapia is.

If I am cooking it for a lady friend, I spend the money on the quality stuff.

If you read the part about diet, it is interesting how they eat plankton and thus have low levels of methyl mercury.

Sockeye is also usually the salmon used for high end sushi in contrast to farmed Atlantic.

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:

It will help if you soak the tilapia in milk or a cheap white wine to get the “fishy” taste out of it. AFTER you thaw it, soak it for about an hour in either one, and it will certainly help.

Oh yeah… Half Mustard, Half Italian Dressing works REALLY well also. Tastes darn good too.

J

[quote]justhrowit wrote:

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:

It will help if you soak the tilapia in milk or a cheap white wine to get the “fishy” taste out of it. AFTER you thaw it, soak it for about an hour in either one, and it will certainly help.
[/quote]

Don’t really have the time for that. I am eating about a pound and a half a day, so I just thaw it out right before I cook it.

The taste isn’t too bad, I’m eating it for a purpose, not because I like it per say.

Once I’m older and have more funds, I will be able to afford better quality food.