Society of Immediate (Computer-Based) Gratification

[quote]Edevus wrote:
… office work means 8 hours with some spare time …
[/quote]
(For some people in some office jobs, office work means 8 hours minimum with extra hours or weekend hours as needed.)

[quote]Edevus wrote:
… I don’t think that 14 years old kids should have smartphones…
[/quote]
You’re probably right about that.

[quote]Edevus wrote:
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they allow disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children now are tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.�??�??�?�¢??

That’s a quote attributed to Socrates by Plato, although some may disagree. When someone whines about our current young generation, this quote is used as a rebuttal, as in, our young generation is not the worst ever because this is something that old people always say about young people.
[/quote]
There might be some selection bias at work here. Perhaps lasting quotations about the younger generation tend to come from societies that had risen to great heights, and were ripe or near-ripe for collapse or for take-over from the outside. For example, Socrates lived less than a century before Athens was conquered by the Macedonians (King Phillip, father of Alexander the Great).

Would Attila the Hun’s parents’ generation have said any such thing about the young Huns of that time? I suspect not (I could be wrong). I think it is more likely that the older Romans of the same time period might have said something along those lines about the younger Romans (of that time).

I realize this is a digression from the main point of the thread, and the OP is not even agreeing with the validity of the “old people have always said this about young people so there’s nothing to worry about” thing. But I just thought I would point out this particular flaw in that particular idea.

[quote]undoredo wrote:
There might be some selection bias at work here. Perhaps lasting quotations about the younger generation tend to come from societies that had risen to great heights, and were ripe or near-ripe for collapse or for take-over from the outside. For example, Socrates lived less than a century before Athens was conquered by the Macedonians (King Phillip, father of Alexander the Great).

Would Attila the Hun’s parents’ generation have said any such thing about the young Huns of that time? I suspect not (I could be wrong). I think it is more likely that the older Romans of the same time period might have said something along those lines about the younger Romans (of that time).

I realize this is a digression from the main point of the thread, and the OP is not even agreeing with the validity of the “old people have always said this about young people so there’s nothing to worry about” thing. But I just thought I would point out this particular flaw in that particular idea.[/quote]

I actually started with that quote because it’s usually used as an answer to any complaints about new generations, like if it was an invincible argument that somehow ends it all.

[quote]lumbahjack wrote:

LOL, I’ve done that emailing thing too when I aint at my own computer. Usually I copy paste all the addresses I’m on onto notepad, save them with a date and put them on a flash. When I get home I copy paste them to my own comp. I can honestly say that I’ve done this alot but can’t remember having ever opened those notepad docs. I think I’m an e-hoarder.[/quote]

I believe I save many things because I may need them in the future, but can’t really remember a time when I needed something and I found it.

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
bingo

nobody cares how bad they’re getting fucked over as long as Survivor is on and they can check their tweets
[/quote]

Yep, probably oldest trick in the book.